In at the deep end...

Oliver

So thanks to the game World of Warships here I am about to embark on my next voyage, a 1/700 Tamiya KGV.

Now I have picked up some brass barrels for the main guns and a PE set for the super fiddlely bits and also a wood deck. That said this is my first ever ship kit since I was about 7 years old (too long ago!) so any tip or hints as to how i should go about this? General build, how to do rigging etc?

I would also like to make a sea base for this but have no idea how, so again, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

That certainly is in at the deep end. I'm just doing my first 1/700 with PE. Tirpitz which stalled but is shortly to resume. For rigging I'm going to use EZ line. I didn't go down the wooden deck route or brass barrels either but may do the latter for my next 1/700. I'm learning by my mistakes on this build.

Sorry can't be any help but good luck with it.

• Like 1

I'd recommend watching this series of sea-scape tutorials, uploaded to youtube by a Mr Guido Hopp. I've yet to try the method, but it's great to see it demonstrated in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvT54KMgCwM

Regards,

Ross.

Edited by Ravens
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help guys, most appreciated. Will deffo look into EZ line and a great series of vids too, very complex process!

The Wood deck went on like a dream and really makes a difference i think. So the basic hull is done and painted...now for the superstructure!

If EZ line turns out too thick, I've been recommended 20 denier Caenis thread, it is amazingly fine, like the finest stretched sprue, but smooth and even. I got myself a reel (from a well known internet retail site), and it is amazing, and quite easy to fit using a tiny dot of white (PVA) glue.