Matchbox II GB Chat

Arniec

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

The decals and cockpit PE for my Matchbox Lancaster have come in. I'm going to look into getting PE flaps also, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a mask set that can be used for it too? There are a number out there for 1/72 Lancasters, but I wouldn't think they would be a simple fit for the older Matchbox kit.

I don't think there has ever been a maskset for it. But the framing is standing quite proud, so you could either use masking flued or go with using masking tape a pencil and a sharp blade.

good luck with it.

Cheers,

I think the Stranraer or Heyford is going o be a bit of a challenge with the other things going on, as well as the rugby season starting. 

So I think I'll go for this.

resized_c425b7bb-5dad-47dc-8f27-a613de27

resized_fc1a45fe-e2da-424b-8761-217566a4

And which one will it be?  No contest, it has to be the 892 F-4K. And if the transfers are ruined, I've got some aftermarket including the 'Colonial Navy' markings. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 825 said:

I think the Stranraer or Heyford is going o be a bit of a challenge with the other things going on, as well as the rugby season starting. 

So I think I'll go for this.

resized_c425b7bb-5dad-47dc-8f27-a613de27

resized_fc1a45fe-e2da-424b-8761-217566a4

And which one will it be?  No contest, it has to be the 892 F-4K. And if the transfers are ruined, I've got some aftermarket including the 'Colonial Navy' markings. 

825, I'm 'hoping' to do the same kit in the same box in the same scheme for the Blitz Build GB this weekend. Given that I have another Matchbox F-4M/K that I started back in '81 and haven't yet finished, I'm not confident... :o

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

825, I'm 'hoping' to do the same kit in the same box in the same scheme for the Blitz Build GB this weekend. Given that I have another Matchbox F-4M/K that I started back in '81 and haven't yet finished, I'm not confident... :o

Its definitely classic Matchbox and a lot of the plastic on the blue sprue is the ordnance, and there is a fair amount of it. It's not too complicated and if the fit is OK then a quick build should be possible. That being said I'm not sure it would be my choice for a  Blitzbuild. But then my ideal choice would be something made up of 10 parts and a single paint colour.

Good luck, I'm keen to see how you do as well as keep an eye out to see if there are any snags along the way

• Like 2

The one big snag that I've found thus far is that the boxing I'll be using (which is a Hong Kong produced kit, so far as I can discern) is the old original box scheme, with the old markings selection, but the 'new' plastic, which Matchbox modified - the biggest issue is that it's got the RWR on the tail, which means that I can't do the Saratoga markings in an OOB kit; I'll have to remove the RWR. Which sounds like a pain. Most likely, I'll do it later in her career, same colours and markings, without the USS Saratoga script.

I'm not looking for an exhibition winner here, just having fun. The kit has waaay too many faults to make it show worthy without a stupid amount of work, and there's better options available - I have 3 of the Fujimi Brit Phantoms kits in the stash. By all means follow along when I start, at the very least you'll learn what NOT to do!

• Like 1

I have decided on this one...

35942424824_f51b2ec328_z_d.jpg        35968099703_0e74bb6e24_z_d.jpg

I have some better decals coming from Hannants but I will be building OOB, as is my wont.

There is a part of me that doesn't want to paint...just use the coloured plastic as supplied!  

Any ideas about the banner?

--John

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rob G said:

The one big snag that I've found thus far is that the boxing I'll be using (which is a Hong Kong produced kit, so far as I can discern) is the old original box scheme, with the old markings selection, but the 'new' plastic, which Matchbox modified - the biggest issue is that it's got the RWR on the tail, which means that I can't do the Saratoga markings in an OOB kit; I'll have to remove the RWR. Which sounds like a pain. Most likely, I'll do it later in her career, same colours and markings, without the USS Saratoga script.

I've just had a look at the plastic and despite the box artwork and the colour schemes showing the correct fin, the mouldings definitely have the RWR top to the fin. As can be seen here at top right. 

resized_7ef494bc-2032-4a02-833e-7f8cad5b

Now got to think whether to convert or make as later version. I think someone had a thread on when the RWR was introduced and colour schemes. Although FAA Phantoms were always Extra Dark Sea Grey over White. Or perhaps Dark Sea Grey over White.

• Like 2

I love the British Phantom. If I am not mistaken I still have got two Matchbox Phantoms  in my stash.I will watch your builders with interests. For this GB I will build a Dornier Do-18 flying boat. This will be a duo build with another GB. This is to save precious building time.

Cheers,

Just in case I finish my Lancaster, I'll also be grabbing a Revell rebox of the Matchbox He-115 float plane.

s-l1600.jpg

This boxing is actually a little cheaper than the Matchbox ones, which helps when I need to buy PE as well.

EDIT - turns out Revell reboxed both Matchbox and Frog He-115s... So, this one is a confirmed Matchbox! The box says so!

;)

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 3

Hi guys, 

the time of fun draws nearer now. So I will try to become more active. It is just 5 1/2 weeks to go before it starts.

I will try to do my best for this GB. The model I will be building is the Dornier Do-18 flying boat. I will also use this kit for the flying boats and waterplanes GB. that is gonna start this weekend. So it will be a duo build.I will hold myself back till the start of the Matchbox GB.:D

As you already will know. This GB is all about having fun with a MB kit.

Cheers,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

That sounds great Coops.  What colors will you be using?  I am using some of the Straighter Decals and haven't decided on a scheme yet...

Well not really being a plane man, I have no idea. Figured I would buy a kit and worry about the detail later. Will look into it and try and figure something I like the look of. It came with no decals so it really is a blank canvas.

• Like 1

Possibly another entry with the Swordfish as I would like to do a 100% Matchbox kit as well as the Revell/Matchbox Spitfire,I had one given

in a Rainbow boxing with an all Black  scheme which doesn't seem to get done very often did Revell's re-pop a year or two ago.

SDC14689%20600x450_zpsbn39dinx.jpg

• Like 2