Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Arniec

Matchbox II GB Chat

Recommended Posts

Damn...just checked.  You're right old thumper...Revell from 1965.  Ok...don't panic...has to be another Matchbox kit in the stash somewhere...or I'll trawl the online seas for a tasty morsel...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trawling through my picture files, I found this shot of what was the beginnings of my Matchbox collection. It belongs here, I think.

 

imageproxy.jpg

 

The Dornier 18 is the very one I did for the floatplane GB recently.

All the others have now been moved on, the reality of trying to collect everything sometimes rears its ugly head.

 

Tony.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Damn...just checked.  You're right old thumper...Revell from 1965.  Ok...don't panic...has to be another Matchbox kit in the stash somewhere...or I'll trawl the online seas for a tasty morsel...

 

 

 

Sorry, there was a fair number of old Revell kits that went under the Matchbox brand near the finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone fancies a Classic Airfix group build to follow on from this next year we should have Airfix the Golden Years group build.

People will need to vote for it in the group build poll first though.

 

 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019115-groupbuild-poll-for-2018/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-2868563

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Trawling through my picture files, I found this shot of what was the beginnings of my Matchbox collection. It belongs here, I think.

 

imageproxy.jpg

 

The Dornier 18 is the very one I did for the floatplane GB recently.

All the others have now been moved on, the reality of trying to collect everything sometimes rears its ugly head.

 

Tony.

 

 

Aw come on Tony your just making me envious! That's a great collection,Heinkel 111's are fetching upward's of forty quid now,

and look at that superb artwork for the first release of the Beaufighter,and I've seen silly prices on the Hunter twin seater too.

Did they change the Jaguar fuselage mold for the twin seater so that the GR1 couldn't be produced anymore? I believe the 

Hunter was due to be the next 1/32 release too,right I'll stop rambling on now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Damn...just checked.  You're right old thumper...Revell from 1965.  Ok...don't panic...has to be another Matchbox kit in the stash somewhere...or I'll trawl the online seas for a tasty morsel...

 

 

You were not the only one to get fooled. I made the same mistake a few years back with this kit. Bought it only for one euro, but after seeing it I felt robbed.

It is the black boxes you need to watch for. These are the ones that were produced by Revell.

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning all

 The more I watch these builds the more I am tempted to participate with the Hawker Tempest II/VI kit but I also have some Armored vehicles , when I started building plastic models in the mid 70s I started with Airfix Heller and of course Matchbox ones ,a taht time I have build nearly all the Matchbox 1/72 Aircraft and 1/76 vehicles  models ..

 

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning all

 The more I watch these builds the more I am tempted to participate with the Hawker Tempest II/VI kit but I also have some Armored vehicles , when I started building plastic models in the mid 70s I started with Airfix Heller and of course Matchbox ones ,a taht time I have build nearly all the Matchbox 1/72 Aircraft and 1/76 vehicles  models ..

 

Patrice

You are more then welcome Patrice. If it's a AFV or a plane isn't realy important as long as it's a Matchbox kit. But the most important part is to go back to your youth and have dun.;)

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Arniec said:

You are more then welcome Patrice. If it's a AFV or a plane isn't realy important as long as it's a Matchbox kit. But the most important part is to go back to your youth and have dun.;)

 

Cheers,

Thank you Arniec

  I must finish my 2 current builds before I begin one for this Gb ..

 

Best regards

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Thank you Arniec

  I must finish my 2 current builds before I begin one for this Gb ..

 

Best regards

Patrice

No problem Patrice. There is still some time before the GB ends at the 10th of Februari.;)

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As there was the Telford show (SMW 2017) I managed to buy six more Matchbox kits. Five are new to the collection and are all AFV related.B)

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up with some new entries,amazing, I can't remember seeing more than a handful of Matchbox kit's in rfi in the four year's I've

been a member and we've got a huge number of entries in this GB and so many folk enjoying their build's and the nostalgia! I know there's a 

Golden age of Airfix in the offing perhap's a Frog GB is due?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you are right. I still say that that 'nostalgia' thread by AdeyM ( I think) some time ago really put Frog on the map, for me anyway. I am looking forward to Airfix but Matchbox has been a bit of a revelation for me  as it has been unchartered waters. I will get my build up soon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, there's really something about these old basic kits that seems to get the modelling mojo working. 

I'm having a tonne of fun delving into the spares box and racking my brain over how I'm going to tackle the next hurdle - I think it's good therapy.

I also quite like working with Matchbox plastic. It's very hardy and allows you to scribe positively.

I think building one of these old clunkers for every three / four new tool models could just be the recipe I need to enjoy some good consistent modelling throughout the year.

 

Hopefully next years Airfix GB will get up and a Frog GB sounds like a very good idea indeed, although I might need to buy a few new (old) Frog kits as I sold off my collection years ago. 

 

Cheers... Dave   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Just catching up with some new entries,amazing, I can't remember seeing more than a handful of Matchbox kit's in rfi in the four year's I've

been a member and we've got a huge number of entries in this GB and so many folk enjoying their build's and the nostalgia! I know there's a 

Golden age of Airfix in the offing perhap's a Frog GB is due?

 

I normally post at least 6 Matchbox builds each year in rfi, and try to enter Matchbox kits in as many group builds as I can manage. 

All going well I hope to be hosting Airfix the Golden Years group build with Ventora3300 and Lawzer in 2018. Should Airfix the Golden Years get through the 2018 group build vote then I will propose a Frog group build for 2019, if it fails I will throw the Airfix group build back into the 2019 vote and shelve the Frog idea.

 

Should anyone be interested in a classic Airfix group build then please vote for Airfix the Golden Years in the current group build poll without delay.    

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I agree, there's really something about these old basic kits that seems to get the modelling mojo working. 

I'm having a tonne of fun delving into the spares box and racking my brain over how I'm going to tackle the next hurdle - I think it's good therapy.

I also quite like working with Matchbox plastic. It's very hardy and allows you to scribe positively.

I think building one of these old clunkers for in every three / four new tool models could just be the recipe I need to enjoy some good consistent modelling throughout the year.

 

Hopefully next years Airfix GB will get up and a Frog GB sounds like a very good idea indeed, although I might need to buy a few new (old) Frog kits as I sold off my collection years ago. 

 

Cheers... Dave   

 

This is exactly the kind of fun I have been enjoying for the last few years since being rebitten by the Matchbox bug. I have come to find new tool kits to be a bit of a dry meal due to lack of room for creativity, it hasn't stopped me from buying all of Airfix's new tool WW2 kits though.

Don't forget to vote for Airfix the Golden Years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More great addition's to the build portfolio today this GB just get's better you never know the Kamen Seasprite may even turn up or the F4 Fury^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

More great addition's to the build portfolio today this GB just get's better you never know the Kamen Seasprite may even turn up or the F4 Fury^_^

Got a couple more you are preparing to share with us Steve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Got a couple more you are preparing to share with us Steve?

Well as I might have mentioned I'm definitely gonna push it to ten,so two left to choose It would be nice to pick a couple not entered so far

and never built the Fury which would fit into my mainly 1/48 collection,but I'd like to do a Lightning,Helldiver also got some spare Mustang

decal sheet's as "Dooleybird" hasn't made an appearence yet,and I'm getting drawn to the Heyford too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folk's early finish tonight so got an hour in at the bench while I was up there I had a look in a couple of boxes and dug out the little Siskin

I think its in the Made in Britain GB, surely one will appear here soon I think this kit is Matchbox at their best 

20171118_212132

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say how much I am enjoying this GB :penguin:

 

There's bags of enthusiasm about and lots of variations, which makes for a lot of interest. It's also the first time I have managed more than two builds.

 

Well done to everyone, and there's still plenty of time to get more in! 

 

Cheers Greg :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×