Matchbox II GB Chat

Arniec

Even a thought of that Viggen in a splinter scheme makes an old SAAB- enthusiasts' heart pounding faster. That was the meanest piece of a warplane that never got proper use... But I still recall the pics I saw as a kid of a Viggen in perfect sunshine over the Baltic Sea. Just do it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigos said:

I'm suffering from Matchboxoma Malignum.

So there’s a name for it but probably no cure. My wife just keeps saying that I’m going mad!! 

Good of choice on the Viggen. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Even a thought of that Viggen in a splinter scheme makes an old SAAB- enthusiasts' heart pounding faster.

I agree with you. But I do not have Swedish paints and I have already bought decals. I will certainly build a Viggen in camouflage, but I'm waiting for a new kit from Special Hobby.

https://www.rebell.com/dekaler/dekaler-flyg/saab-ajs37-viggen-the-show-must-go-on-januari-14492.html?___store=eu&___from_store=default

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigos said:

The collection contains about 400 Matchboxes. I'm suffering from Matchboxoma Malignum.

Want to see the Viggen? OK. It was actually my first choice. That lady looks good in red.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk200_viggen/walk200.htm

400!!!!! :drunk: I thought that I was way over the top with about a 100.:mental:

I love the viggen as well. I have got both,the one and two seater.

What ever you are going to build it will be a joy to see.

Cheers,

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arniec said:

400!!!!! :drunk: I thought that I was way over the top with about a 100.:mental:

I love the viggen as well. I have got both,the one and two seater.

What ever you are going to build it will be a joy to see.

Cheers,

This makes me feel rather insecure with me feeble stash of 20 or so.

• Like 3

I will be joining this GB at some point but probably not until after Telford as there is too much happening at the moment to start something new.

I'm looking forward to it however.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I will be joining this GB at some point but probably not until after Telford as there is too much happening at the moment to start something new.

I'm looking forward to it however.

No problem Kallisti.

Cheers,

I wasn't modelling at the time that the last sprue came off the production line & the big Matchbox kicked the bucket.I have no idea what happened to Matchbox - I guess it was like any business - sales dried up due the market (mainly kids) having other interests like computers & the company ran out of money & had to be wound up.It was probably in the news in Britain at time but for anyone like myself who still don't know can some kind soul fill in some detail.Obviously there's a lot of fond memories of our young selves building these great kits & looking through the fantastic artwork in the catalogues & Matchbox was sadly missed.

Is there even any stories of former Matchbox employees?What was it like working there?It's almost like a Willie Wonka factory where they decide what magical colour the next model will be.Or was it the total opposite with everyone colour-blind?Sorry my mind goin crazy.

Help,

Jimbob....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dude_gan_ainm said:

I wasn't modelling at the time that the last sprue came off the production line & the big Matchbox kicked the bucket.I have no idea what happened to Matchbox - I guess it was like any business - sales dried up due the market (mainly kids) having other interests like computers & the company ran out of money & had to be wound up.It was probably in the news in Britain at time but for anyone like myself who still don't know can some kind soul fill in some detail.Obviously there's a lot of fond memories of our young selves building these great kits & looking through the fantastic artwork in the catalogues & Matchbox was sadly missed.

Is there even any stories of former Matchbox employees?What was it like working there?It's almost like a Willie Wonka factory where they decide what magical colour the next model will be.Or was it the total opposite with everyone colour-blind?Sorry my mind goin crazy.

Help,

Jimbob....

Matchbox, as a brand, is still around and continues to produce die-cast cars and other vehicles. The brand is now owned by Mattel, and I believe it was Mattel's decision to discontinue plastic kit production when Matchbox was acquired around 1990. They then sold all the kit moulds to Revell, who also got a 10-year license to use the Matchbox brand on reissued kits. When that expired, the kits continued to be re-released under the Recall banner.

4 hours ago, dude_gan_ainm said:

Help,

Jimbob....

Yes back in the eighties kids moved away from things like models and jigsaw puzzles. But most of the big British household names around in 1979 have either gone out of business completely or been taken over by foreign companies, so nothing unique about Matchbox. 

Here's a Matchbox story from 1980... I'm pretty sure it was that year, and it was my 12th birthday in the end of August and beginning of my 6th school year. I had my classmates at my home for some soda, cake and cookies - in exchange for presents, of course. And didn't those lovely buddies bring me not only socks and crayon sets, but three Matchbox airplane kits! You know, or do you not, that itch... I became so tempted to get building those kits (the only one I remember was the P-47 Razorback) that in my evil mind I decided to tell my guests an excuse, that being something my mom needed me to do instantly, and the party was over, no more games or playing in the garden (though it was a beautiful late summer day). Adieu, adios, bye... And once they had left... It was just me and those kits!

Oh but it feels good to get this off my conscience 😇. V-P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Here's a Matchbox story from 1980... I'm pretty sure it was that year, and it was my 12th birthday in the end of August and beginning of my 6th school year. I had my classmates at my home for some soda, cake and cookies - in exchange for presents, of course. And didn't those lovely buddies bring me not only socks and crayon sets, but three Matchbox airplane kits! You know, or do you not, that itch... I became so tempted to get building those kits (the only one I remember was the P-47 Razorback) that in my evil mind I decided to tell my guests an excuse, that being something my mom needed me to do instantly, and the party was over, no more games or playing in the garden (though it was a beautiful late summer day). Adieu, adios, bye... And once they had left... It was just me and those kits!

You've got plastic pumping round those veins of yours man,I'm sure the Modelling God's have heard it all before.Your cleansed V-P. for your honesty.

Jimbob. ..

• Thanks 1

Quick question. Whilst opening my Tempest to make a start it appears that the propellor has one blade longer than the others. Is this a mis-cast or just a correct detail? Similarly, the destructions call for the blades to be trimmed for the Mk.II version, is this for all of them or just this one random long one?

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, charlie_c67 said:

Quick question. Whilst opening my Tempest to make a start it appears that the propellor has one blade longer than the others. Is this a mis-cast or just a correct detail? Similarly, the destructions call for the blades to be trimmed for the Mk.II version, is this for all of them or just this one random long one?

Cheers!

Charlie, 

Looks like a slight moulding defect or (if this was a 2nd hand kit) the previous owner trimmed three of the four blades to make the Tempest Mk.II version. 

All I can say, is that I'd hate to be the pilot trying to wrestle an aircraft in this configuration!!

It's hard to know if the props are the correct size for a Mk.VI or if they have already been reduced to Mk.II config, however all four blades MUST be the same length.

As per the Bentley drawings, if making a Mk.VI the longest blade length from Blade tip to Center should be 30mm in 1/72 scale.  Overall diameter of the prop arc is therefore 60mm.

I believe the instructions suggest to trim the tip by 3mm (?) if making the Mk.II version. 

HTH... Cheers.. Dave.  

1 hour ago, charlie_c67 said:

Cheers! I have a feeling it's a casting cock up as although I bought it second hand, nothing was removed from the runners. I will run the calipers over it tomorrow. Hopefully post the first pictures too!

My last Tempest had the lower corner of the rudder missing from manufacture. I have noticed similar moulding problems once or twice with other Matchbox kits, maybe they had problems with their machinery or poor qc, either way to late to complain now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

a glance at my ebay this morning and it looks like I might win a mig21, nostagia build as my Dad build it up when I was little in finnish markings, now to figure what paints I need to use on it. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I have had several disappointments where I thought I was the only one interested in an old kit only to be pipped at the last moment by what I call a 'predator' who is using some software to bid with 10secs to go. Only defence is to whack in your very best bid at 30 secs to go so that you have the consolation of having tried your best!

Edited by Ventora3300

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I have had several disappointments where I thought I was the only one interested in an old kit only to be pipped at the last moment by what I call a 'predator' who is using some software to bid with 10secs to go. Only defence is to whack in your very best bid at 30 secs to go so that you have the consolation of having tried your best!

Yep been there, will be miffed if it happens,  as I'm going on a paint run an will be getting to just for that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

On ebay I often put in a maximum bid of tuppence above the pound, for example if the maximum I wanted to bid was £10 my then bid would be £10.02. It does seem to work sometimes. I also bid as late as possible.

..if you see someone bidding £XX.89 then that is me! Hope we haven't been in competition in the past and bid each other out of the park! I once was bidding about the £20 mark for a kit and some 'antique dealer' put in a bid of £97 with seconds to go, to be beaten by another at a cool £100. Absolute madness but a measure of the modelling addiction. Thankfully, I am dabbling rarely now, however, like PhantomBigStu, I have my eye on something for the Matchbox GB as a contingency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Yep been there, will be miffed if it happens,  as I'm going on a paint run an will be getting to just for that 

4hrs to go....hope your nerves last out but there are a couple of 'Buy nows' of the same kit as alternatives if a 'predator' strikes. Good Luck!!

Edited by Ventora3300

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:48, vppelt68 said:

Once, I bought an Airfix kit for a mate who's party I was going to and 'felt ill' just before going, so I suggested to my parents that I would have to stay and home and keep the kit - no dice I am afraid as my parents recognised the first signs of addiction.... Not my proudest moment!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 5