Building a HAS

Quick photo (really badly lit & the headlight batteries are flat) of the land rover with its new decals on. No top coat of clear yet and they do look better in real life than in the photo. Tyres look ok to.

DSCF8916-2_zpsoryvmsxu.jpg

• Like 3

Well yesterday was a quick shot with only decals on one side! Fixed that today, but the decals still need a coat of clear, trimming round the breather vent on the front drivers side wing, and I forgot to put the wing mirror on!

Had to compromise on the power in the end & run the leads out underneath to an external power pack. Batteries inside did work, but trying to get a switch rigged up & access to change the batteries finally killed that idea off. I will just have to pose it so the lead runs away from the back.

Lights on:

DSCF8917_zpsrkqt8jzx.jpg

And the back ones too:

DSCF8921_zps99ibztru.jpg

• Like 2

The secret to easy light blocking lining is.........silver foil. Haven't put any under the wheel arches, but some under the bonet to stop it shining through & loads round the back door! Those back lights aren't fibre - I put a 3rd bulb & built a box to push the light up t the holes. Then buried the inside in silver foil & plasicard.

Putting the wing mirror on has improved it no end

Took advantage of some sunshine today to put the HAS together outside. The flies are 1:1 scale

DSCF8928_zpspicfd7ha.jpg

The landy has a partner out today. Its an old dinky trailer that has been repainted many times over the years. Its got the same tyres on as the landy & they look too big. The racks to hold the missiles are also still to be built,so they are tacked on to an Evergreen strut frame. A new draw bar is also in the works.

Now to try it with the lights on:

DSCF8943_zpspteqskby.jpg

Bad composition as you can see light under the back of the HAS (I rushed putting it back together) and you can see the landy's umbilical power cord.

Progress may slow for a bit now a new French distraction is starting to shape up. But the HAS does its job of being a diorama to show off progress & will display it when its done.

DSCF8945_zpsjmvgj2if.jpg

• Like 1

With a little bit of photo shop on the real grass and bushes you have the makings of the real deal !

Love it all and can see why you have put this together so you can show case your builds !

Nice one

Nige

I'm no expert with photoshop (or in this case paint.net) - first quick attempt

HAS%20merge_zps0yh7cyqi.jpg

Lots of tidying up around the edges needed, probably some rotation etc but gives an idea

• Like 5

Little progress with the HAS this weekend. Until now the HAS has had no back wall. All photos from the front hiding this! When I skinned the rest I never finished the job, which makes it easier when things like the lights fail. However its time to sort that so the skin is now on. The jet exhaust extension on the rear also had an upgrade with some nice mesh over the exits. Until now these have just been open holes.

DSCF8954_zpsxdkut0na.jpg

The back wall now needs painting & I need to build the two square blocks on the back of the air ventilation that sit either side of the exhaust structure.

The exhaust block will remain detachable so that I can poke a camera through & take internal shots from the back.

• Like 2

Little progress with the HAS this weekend. Until now the HAS has had no back wall. All photos from the front hiding this! When I skinned the rest I never finished the job, which makes it easier when things like the lights fail. However its time to sort that so the skin is now on. The jet exhaust extension on the rear also had an upgrade with some nice mesh over the exits. Until now these have just been open holes.

DSCF8954_zpsxdkut0na.jpg

The back wall now needs painting & I need to build the two square blocks on the back of the air ventilation that sit either side of the exhaust structure.

The exhaust block will remain detachable so that I can poke a camera through & take internal shots from the back.

Might not be possible, but if you can get the whole ensemble down to an airfield, a shot through the back looking out with an actual base in the background would look amazing! The photoshopped image looks great as well. I used to be so good at using Adobe Photoshop (I had a "liberated" version back when I was a student) but I've forgotten most of it now. How did you find paint.net.

Yes Matt, had the same idea. Outside a Wattisham crash gate? I also thought about going to the Wattisham Station Museum & taking it along to see if I could set it up on base. Until then I might try blowing up some photos through the fence & putting them behind the HAS for photos.

Cheers RMP - I actually cut the tyre off in chunks with a stanley knife & then filed / attached to drill & spun it to get it round. I did the front & back separately & then put a spacer in between the two haves along with the replacement tyre before gluing them up. They do sit a little proud but not to bad.

Smashing. I suspect I will be getting those tyres, a set of 12 for just a few quid works for me.

Whats the plan for the spare on the bonnet?