Building a HAS

Got to say the Lakenheath Eagles have been winning me over.  They are just up the road & I can sometimes hear them go up from work.  Like the dark grey reaper scheme now

IMG_1483800.jpg

Not sure where they come from, but we get pretty regular 15s up here in Lincs using the Donna Nook range and generally having a hoon about. I think it was last year that me and a few work mates watched a pair trying to out turn each other over the local butty van. They, Tornados and Typhoons are often buzzing about to the point I can often tell which is which just by the sound... Plane geek street cred points innit. ;)
I just find the F-15 a boring thing to look at. Very capable, sure, but they look like every 9 year olds drawing of a plane, yknow?

Been around for so long now & still look the same.  Outside of the f-22 they still seem to be top dog.  Got those in at the heath at the moment too.  They had a big show earlier this year with f-16s over as well.  The RAF had the Marham Tonkas at the Heath too while Marham was fixed up - 3 of them I believe....

Edited by bar side

Bit of progress, but not a lot.  Quick shot of the A-10 and Apache together

Njm5rWB.jpg

The Apache is progressing slowly, but at least now stands on her own 3 wheels

Today's trip to the local shop produced a tin of humbrol tank grey (67 i think) so tried it out on the A-10 today

the areas of grey on the wing and tail upright are now in 67 - definitely darker - what do you think?

5j7dlBT.jpg

Dry morning today was too good to pass up, so the HAS came out to see how the A-10 looks.

EhmV7ie.jpg

teaHB89.jpg

mKJZiot.jpg

Been having a go at sorting the undercarriage & bits today as well.  Might be onto decals soon

• Like 4

Test fitting the pylons tonight & cant help but wonder if it should have a tail band?  The pics of 77255 don’t show one, so the obvious answer is no.  However looking a the BCWM xample, there is a nice grey band with white edges.  Would be fairly easy to do now - that or a red fin top or something similar.  Could look good.

27 minutes ago, RichO said:

Nice lookin' photos!  I still like your tarmac. 

Cheers Rich - I trod on the HAS floor the other day and left a muddy footprint on it. Tried to wipe it off & wiped the paint off too!  Needs a touch up now.  Quite like mixing a new batch & having some variation in colour though.

The underside of the A-10 is coming along.  Test fit of the pylons - there are so many!

HVd87D0.jpg

Now pylons off & undercarriage glued in place

4GNfVFE.jpg

Time to start making up some payload

34 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Does that mean you're going to have to make up a whole bunch of armourer's carts too? And some weapons loaders? :devil:

You psychic Kirk? Was gluing together iron bombs and Phoenix missiles last night and thinking it was about time I put together the weapons trailer from the ground crew kit!

• Like 1

Nice set of products on that site @Kirk mind you the old esci ground crew set includes the ford tractor, tow bar, missile loader, trailer, ladder & trollies so will use them up first.  Made my own houchin for RAF dios, and have the US gpu and other unit from the hasegawa ground crew set, plus my follow me truck and RAF Landy.  God I have collected some stuff that the wife looks at distanfully while it gathers dust....

So setting out the weaponry and under wing stores - i am not keen on the kits own moulded on flare/chaff pod.  Doesn't compare well with the one from the Airfix Jag - think @RMP2 found similar with his. But it looks like a couple of bits of spruce, so time to build one

KBkUdLo.jpg

Kit one top right, Jag one top left, basic shape bottom

And a couple of extras to add and a basic trolley too @Kirk

p0BcNQO.jpg

You mean the ECM pod? Supposedly an ALQ-119, but its not. The Jag one isnt quite right for an A-10 either, but its closer than the Tamiya offering.

Mine was kindly donated from a Hasegawa weapons set and is a lot better than the Tamiya thing, not a million miles off that Jag Airfix bit, but the Hasegawa decals make it that bit better - such an important part of an A-10 load in my mind, its got to be something like right.

4 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

You mean the ECM pod? Supposedly an ALQ-119, but its not. The Jag one isnt quite right for an A-10 either, but its closer than the Tamiya offering.

Yes, getting my chaff / flare pods & ecm pods mixed up.  Got the feeling the the jag pod is too long, but no harm in knocking one up similar.  Also feel the kit is lacking a sensor on the bracket to the bottom right side of the cockpit bottom.  Pave target indicator or similar?  Will need to scratch something for there.  Especially if I do hang some paves underneath

The kit should have a Pave sensor thing in the box. Mine did.

Jag pod might be a bit long, but the ALQ-119 wasnt short by any means. Cant remember the designation given to the Jag versions now to research. Might come to me in the morning....

Had a go at making up the ECM pod - not detailed or perfect by any means, but this is how it looks

CU5pbee.jpg

Top one is the Airfix Jag offering plus pylon, the second is the A-10 pylon plus homebuilt ALQ-119 pod, the third is the kit pod of unknown type. Found an interesting picture reference for various pods

ECM_Pods_20101104.png

And now the whole planned payload.  Snuck in a couple of paveways, and have since added a pave sensor - there wasn't one in the Revell box.  Pylons are glued but the rest is on blutac

1a9OIfc.jpg

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

You're never going to get them there LGBs on to the pylons. Where's the loader from the Esci kit? :poke:

Still in the box at the moment!  Have to build that up, do the fod covers & rbf tags.  Oh, and finish the decals while trying to fix some of the dodgy ones already on.  And the Apache needs some work too

(and very good it looks too!)

There is no end to this ribbing though...

Aren't there supports for the missiles when they're on the cart so the fins don't get damaged? Kinda like great big rectangular strips of styrene with half moons cut out of them?

Don't think we don't all appreciate all this hard work.:clap2:

Kirk

I want me one of these

skw48004.jpg

They look so so much better than the esci trolley.  Don’t forget the A-10 needs FOD covers and RBF tags too.  A model makers work is never done....