Building a HAS

You could always cut the board in half width-ways, so having two smaller display boards that fold in half and then fit together to make one big base...the join between the two boards when reassembled could be camouflaged with some judiciously placed scenery, buildings, vehicles, people etc etc

I could cut it Marvel, but its the join across the inside of the HAS that would limit its internal shots & thats one of the main aims of it as a diorama. Anyway, its not to bad to store as it is.

However, when opened up it takes up nearly all of the available garage floor now. I have given it a quick coat or two of concrete grey (white emulsion with some added black poster paint - not fully mixed so you still get white & black streaks & variations in the grey finish), marked on the grid of squares and painted on the first yellow lines. The outside has had a random spray over of rattle can black.

I can now pose the HAS & both doors open for the first time! I haven't attached it for this photo, just placed it on top. The rest of the yellow & white lines will follow (including the hatched area of door movement) and the cream coloured area will have model railway grass scatter, apart from the base of the annex and rear vent.

DSCF8813_zpsmkhdcsuk.jpg

• Like 7

Go for it Matt - the grid squares are just drawn on in pencil.

I have always been a fan of the static grass Ragtag. Just not sure that I picture it with longer grass. I always see it like this:

IMAG0546_zpsvmjoh8na.jpg

Definitely needs a bit more than flat scatter & some longer grass around edges etc though. Think I will try it & see what looks right. By the way I am Barside on rmweb too!

• Like 1

Not loving the HAS tonight. It refused to sit in to the slots in the new board - fought all the way. Most of the tabs refused to go through & at least one came off altogether. Not any real damage though. Oh, and the lights inside have stopped working. Could be a broken wire, failed led or anything. However I suspect the whole case will have to come off to solve it. All I wanted to do was set it up for an out door photo! Oh well.

I did manage to get a couple of photos before the sun went down totally. Trying for a more realistic look:

DSCF8832_zps9qcv1lld.jpg

The yellow diagonal door area is now on. Just need the line for the rail it moves on. You can see it better from above.

DSCF8834_zpsrpvunvb9.jpg

I have a quick coat of brown poster paint down where the grass will go eventually. But that might have to wait now until the lights & fixing tabs work again!

• Like 2

So a little surgery on the HAS tonight to try & fix the lights. The outer skin had to come off - not something I was looking forward to trying. But luckily it came off without too much damage. The cause of the faulty lights was a broken wire so that has been soldered up.

Quick pic without its outer case on:

DSCF8835_zps38ct4puz.jpg

Skin went back ok and the fixing tabs had some 'surgery' so needed to be tested. I don't think the Hunter has been out for pictures recently so after a quick dust this is how it looked:

DSCF8841_zpsyriihfrt.jpg

The lights are on! And that right undercarriage leg is no where near straight!

This shot is a bit more forgiving:

DSCF8848_zps2llavspe.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

Bit of work on the cable tray & trunking on the other wall of the HAS tonight. The support wires need to be painted but I'll do that when the glue is fully dry. Still need a proper stand to hold the drop tanks but I want to build in some more clutter.

DSCF8858_zpsdvrhblzd.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

That's looking lovely, the inside looks like it's coming to life now. Great attention to detail. Are you planning on putting some figures in too? I've just bought the new PJ Productions ground crew set and they look like they'll paint up nicely.

I took the HAS out in the sunshine today. So what is new? The first layer of scatter is down on the grassed areas. Is an improvement but not the final finished effect. I think static grass could be good but more expensive so I will keep on trying things. The annex has a new corrugated roof over the generator area - that should allow for the ventilation needed. And the Phantom has borrows the F100's ladder.

DSCF8871_zpsllllhg3r.jpg

The next planned addition is a series 3 Land Rover. Its an Airfix 1/43 station wagon (thanks to RMP2 for the tip) but I think its going to get converted to a 2 door with hard roof. Think it will fit in nicely

DSCF8863_zpshghr8gig.jpg

• Like 5