Building a HAS

11 minutes ago, sean said:

Maybe a Gazelle with turning rotor?.....

Sean

Got to say Sean, I have always quite fancied one of those 1/50 Heller Gazelles. Would fit with the time frame.  Did pick up a cheap Apache the other day though.  Think I ought to get back to the Bedford tanker next.  No fancy business there, just a scratch build section on a diecast truck.

Apache would be cool, although you'd have to make a whole new airfield, a new Landie, Prince Harry.............:)

I'd forgotten about the fuel truck, looking forward to seeing how you how you

finish it,

Sean

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sean said:

Apache would be cool, although you'd have to make a whole new airfield, a new Landie, Prince Harry.............:)

Well the Wattisham HASes haven't changed much, add an Airfix Herrick 1/48 landy, a ginger bloke who looks like Ed Sheeran..... Trouble is its the Dutch Apache with the scary looking decal set

Must have seen Harry flying Apaches over my house loads when he was here.  He was spotted at the local Tesco & getting take out from just down the road

• Like 1

Had another go at trying to pose the Harrier today - still can't get the photos to show the light colour!  However I did get the lights to be a bit less bright by putting some old rechargables in the battery pack.

qVCqRZ6.jpg

Ad5cCWs.jpg

UlYRInp.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Okdoky said:

You maybe need a 1/144 scale Tornado in the background taking off with some way of showing afterburner !!

I am sure you could mimic that for perspective !!

So you want lighting inside a 1/144 tonka to look like the burners are lit? How about printing it on the background & poking lights through?  I've got a knackered old 1/72 tonka in the loft I built in the 80s.....  

I've said it before but some people on here are a bad influence!

• Like 2

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Just here to admire and torment you further !!!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Wondering if it has got the brain cells going ????

Just think 1/72 would be harder to get an in flight perspective unless it is an aborted take off so low and close

Did try some forced perspective before - 1/48 Hawk in the foreground, 1/72 at the back

1c33z8U.jpg

Would need to re-draw the grids so that the concrete slab don't give it away.  Of the ground with wheels up it could work I guess

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing too much new this week, but I went back to an unfinished build from the start of this thread.  I built a Phantom FGR.2 in grey/green but didn't have any decals to finish it.  But a fellow Phantom Phan on a FB page turned up a set of Airdoc decals and so these have been going on.  The decals:

01.jpg

Great range of options too, and I probably should be doing an aircraft based on one that carried the recce pod.  But I opted for 92 sqn 'cause it looked good!  So here she is with some decals on.  I haven't put the serial number on yet (underneath or on the sides) so while she has a squadron she is still waiting on her full id.

u8ZHZcd.jpg

Will be good to see her up in the foreground rather than hiding in the back of shots.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Been to busy to be spending time on planes lately.  However the Toom now has a number - XV415.  I believe she is still with us up at  RAF Boulmer.

zCGLcP8.jpg

Still not put all of the decals on though.

Now, someone mentioned having a 1/72 jet in flight as a perspective background.  Found this in the loft that I built as a kid (the grey green one in the foreground that is) - must be 30 years ago.

OYe6Tme.jpg

For some reason I had the underside painted white, but I guess it suggests that building RAF jets from the 70s & 80s is not a new phase for me

Edited by bar side

Started all of this off how ever long ago building a home for 2 Phantoms I was building.  Now I can finally call the pair done I think.  I need to get the HAS out properly but here are the two of them together

0o2wKAx.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Right, last outing of the HAS this side of Christmas.  I have had the two Phantoms in it before, but not with both all decaled up & done.  So here are a few from the other day

yTkXf1u.jpg

5GYcz2A.jpg

I3ThQFX.jpg

Etx4sYq.jpg

Hope you like them

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Love it. They just look right together.

Also inspiration for my 3rd and final(?) Phantom in the lighter grey colours.

A thought just popped into my head - how about some pallets for the spare tanks etc on the racking? Something a forktruck could pick them up by.... and maybe a fork truck...? :)

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

A thought just popped into my head - how about some pallets for the spare tanks etc on the racking? Something a forktruck could pick them up by.... and maybe a fork truck...? :)

The trays from the rack are meant to detach and have casters on them for moving about.  Did plan to make a couple of them & definitely need some pallets & packing cases.  Needs to get some more sidewinders & sparrows made up to sit as spares.  Fancy a nice weapons trolley too. And finally started doing as something with the tanker too.  Might need a corgi 1/50 scale Landy to fit in with it as the 1/43 looks a bit big with it

• Like 2

Quick picture of the Bedford with a quick coat of green over the chassis and cab - looks good to me already.  Not sure why I am spending time building plastic kits.....

FdMpsZU.jpg

Tempted to stick a flat bed on it & some crated weapons.  Now, working headlights or not...

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2