Building a HAS

On 25/09/2016 at 10:50 PM, bar side said:

I have still got the old one Nige, was going to have a go at the blast shelters for a change.  Need to nab some A3 colour printing next

A bit cheeky of me, but could I possibly have a jpeg copy of the background?
I have A3 printing available at work, but on through a photocopier, so might not be that great unless I can get the missus to print on A3, A2, A1 or A0 at her Uni.

Bit of paint thrown at the F5E today.  Going for a three tone grey scheme.

WP_20161001_17_20_41_Pro_zpsotdo1htw.jpg

Coming on as I got the kit with a missing section of the canopy glass.  The front screen had to be replaced, so I have crash moulded a new one out of an old supermarket plastic packaging.  Think it will look ok when the masking comes off.

• Like 1

The F-5 blu-taced to its wheels and in the sunlight.  Looking ok I think.  Will make a nice aggressor for tiger meets.

WP_20161005_16_04_16_Pro_zps18nr2xlq.jpg

Got to love a kit for a few quid that even has a ladder in it.  Might even pass for a Jaguar ladder. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sean said:

The paint work looks excellent BS, nicely done,

Cheers Sean - its a bit rougher close up!  Just liked the pattern.  It is roughly the kits US Navy scheme although I am going to update the decals to USAF low vis ones left over from an F-16, so its not very prototypical.

Decals are on it & just about finished but too late to get any pics tonight.  Needs some fod covers & rbf on the pitot, then posing on a background.  I'l try to get some time in the next day or so to do that.

• Like 1

The F-5 is just about there.  Its a real hybrid - old & often discredited ESCI kit, some kits US Navy decals, other USAF F-16 decals.  The navy set had large colour roundel which I didn't fancy, so low viz set left from an F-16 were used.  Stencils should really all be low viz too, but aren't.  Oh well, it only cost a few quid & it was fun.  Will happily sit alongside my other builds giving a bit of variety.  Not sure I have seen many photos of FOD covers, so I guessed a bit.

WP_20161007_18_13_04_Pro_zpswdjrryvi.jpg

• Like 1

And a few pics with the HAS.  Plus some US cousins out to play.  Couldn't get things outside as it started raining as I started to set it up, so a bit dark in the garage.

WP_20161008_15_40_57_Pro%202_zpsuuue9gvp

WP_20161008_15_44_09_Pro%202_zpshli1dzoe

WP_20161008_15_59_24_Pro_zpsgoyidal7.jpg

Line up of US birds

WP_20161008_16_19_17_Pro_zpsxie7jf0q.jpg

• Like 3

Seems to be all about FOD covers, pitot rbfs and ladders.  Couldn't help feel the old lightning was missing out when I dug some of the fleet out yesterday, so today:

WP_20161009_19_48_26_Pro_zpsy8y93n6f.jpg

This was the line up yesterday.  There are a couple more but this is most of them

WP_20161008_17_26_49_Pro%202_zpsbpp3wfp6 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kirk said:

Nope. No sign of a Harrier in that line up - and someone appears to have nicked your HAS

The harrier is now in the works - May not be quick though.  And the HAS stayed in the garage as it was raining earlier and was starting to get dark.  Perhaps I should replace the decking at the back of house with 1/48 hard standing painted boards then just drop the HAS on anytime! The missus might not go for it though....

Thanks to another member of this forum I have discovered that I am not alone in building a HAS.  Another modeller from France has built 1 or 2 also in 1/48.  Well, lets face it he has built most of an airbase.  Very cool & so much better than mine:

p1000510.jpg

His name is  Philippe Chauvin I think and he has a thread on arc forums, although not updated for some time.  And his HASes look like this:

image24.jpg

Got to say its a bit of inspiration.  You can see the whole thread at http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/222165-my-small-air-base-148/&page=1

• Like 1

That build is giving me ideas.  Thats dangerous.  I have this kind of idea to extend the HAS diorama.   I fancy a single story building that would be found on an airfield.  I struck upon this image while searching the web.  It is at Wattisham, but I fear not near either HAS complex.  I wondered about putting in a taxi way linking up the HAS & with this going off from it:

watt53-1.jpg

Add some blast pens beside the HAS (loads around Wattisham) and a fictitious hard standing and it might look like this:

idea_zpsqkjrznjb.jpg 

The black block is the building, blast pens next to the HAS.  Each bit would be stand alone.  Trouble is if it all came together I think the back garden is the only space big enough to set it up.  Did even think of building a second dummy (permanently closed) HAS.  However I also think this is a hopeless pipe dream!

Mind you open to ideas from anyone out there for complimentary buildings

Now you're talking.

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Mind you open to ideas from anyone out there for complimentary buildings

Massive shed in the back garden should keep everything dry...:whistle:

Sean

Hmm, cleared out garage would be a start!

Speaking of making a start, I thought I would have a look at what I have got.

WP_20161014_21_05_13_Pro%202_zpssbvelh4h

Enough board for a taxi way and the hard standing is already done.  Been painting it up today

WP_20161015_13_06_28_Pro_zpsewo40d3m.jpg

Masked up for the centre line painting

Been messing about with things again & have painted up the taxi way & posed it with the HAS & hard standing.  Think it adds to the options when using the HAS as a diorama for posing builds.  Leaves me scope to add other bits - buildings, blast walls,etc

WP_20161016_15_37_06_Pro_zpsgc3ymgvi.jpg

WP_20161016_15_41_14_Pro_zpsaitbozho.jpg

WP_20161016_15_41_49_Pro_zps5giljoup.jpg

Been putting some more grass down alongside the HAS & the red/brown painted area will go grassy too.

I was thinking about vehicles & found an old Corgi Mack truck in the garage this weekend.  Looks to be about the right scale & I remember seeing big US trucks in olive drab around Mildenhall & other bases.  Think a respray & it will be at home

WP_20161016_13_30_58_Pro_zpsqyarkebx.jpg

And anyone guess what this is that I am trying to build on the cheap?

WP_20161016_17_07_35_Pro_zps2qkrorxv.jpg

1 minute ago, bar side said:

Correct!  Tell you what, sanding a block of wood is easy compared to making the wheels!

Probably - but easy is no fun. I do love coming back to this thread. Innovative, informative, inspirational.

Now stop faffing with more taxiway and build a Harrier! :P

9 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Now stop faffing with more taxiway and build a Harrier! :P

Cheers Kirk - the harrier is sitting in the next room looking at me from the top of the unit.  Currently being scared off by the advice on building one on the harrier sig website

http://harriersig.org.uk/models/index.htm

Not sure if I want a RAFG round attack or sidewinder version.  The kit comes with 4 rocket pods but they look wrong - might go with two rocket pods from my hunter (that look right) and use the 4 for the FGR2 Phantom. Would be good to have a finished grey / green Phantom (at last) and a Harrier.  What with the Tonka, Hawk and Canberra PR9 the line up would be ok.  Might need a grey / green Jag....

Forgot the grey / green Binbrook Lightning

Edited by bar side

Thats all looking like its spiralling nicely out of control. :)

Rocket pods.... minefield. The Hunter pods are fictitious, I can tell you that much. What did the SHAR come with? Are they two or three row jobbies? Should be three row for Navy aircraft, 36 round things.
I dont think anyone has produced proper Matra pods for RAF or Navy outside of the resin realms, even there Im not sure theyre quite right.