Building a HAS

Was considering back dating an RF-4E but I think a resin nose on a F-4 is probably the cheapest way.  Or just do a German RF-4E.  Would love to do a herc in 1/48 one day, but would be a Lyneham one first

Always surprised how big the F-4 is compared to the other US big birds

VqGSwTR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Getting towards paint now and need to settle on a paint scheme and base.  The decals include these options

X48063.JPG?t=

And then I found this pic to back it up

1265053.jpg?v=v40

I like the way that the red tail top doesn’t go straight across (as per decal sheet pic) but misses out the top of the rudder.  So Lakenheath it is I guess.

• Like 1

I never included a close up of the new F-111 doors.  I cut them to size and fitted the internal structure, external and internal door release handles and pneumatic struts.  You still can’t see much n the close up though - but the filling around the new front section looks at but dodgy!  Please remember this s a home made crash mounded canopy, not a made to measure kit or after market one.

FIeXutW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Something of the Wattisham F-4 dump when you break down the phantom for painting.  Quick grey primer coat & some light pre-shading.  Should have posed her beside the HAS as being striped for parts!

eXx1iJP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

NpoJpOl_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

So the main bit of the F-5 build is done.  Lots of warped lasting & gaps that would scare the daylights out of many.  But some filler & sanding later it looks like this

ZjAWuDC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

posing with its cousin.  This one is going in to the box colour scheme

And now in the workshop easy for paint

y3NTVkH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 2

With e the phantom still stalled waiting for the right dark green paint.  Need to venture out to the shop soon.  Might not be this week though.

Meanwhile the F-5 has plodded along on the sidelines, out of the box & totally standard ESCI kit.  Not even an F-5E so not a lot of need to try & make her an Alconbury bird.  Lots of filler & some etch off cuts as seat belts but that’s about it

3Nig1QL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

kkYRvKG_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1LGuwgx_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1qKBzaR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And posing with the big cousins.

Will do a HAS photos trying to look like the shot above when the temperature is above freezing in the garage!

• Like 2

Finally got some dark green for the toom.  It’s satin not Matt like the rest of the paint, but I think it will settle down with a Matt clear coat later.

6ev0C02_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

bit more paint t go on but getting there.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 1:29 AM, bar side said:

1qKBzaR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And posing with the big cousins.

Doing a great job with the camouflage, especially with the one at far right.

I know the second model is painted in similar camouflage pattern to its box cover; but I am sure that would have been the artist's impression, and not what the camo experts would have recommended.

Just passing on some stuff I learnt in the military.The aim of camouflage is to make it hard to be seen. Predictable and repeated patterns gets easily picked up by the eye. Best patterns are unpredictable and random. This is difficult to do, since we humans always look for an easier softer way to do things - hence, repeated predictable patterns.

Well the schemes for aggressors seem a little different - this scheme seems to be pretty in line with one that did exist.  I think my ‘sand’ colour is a bit dark, but probably faded a bit too.

65th_Aggressor_Squadron_-_F-5E_Tiger_II.

I think the RAF must have had a fairly ‘standard’ template as the grey / green seemed to follow a similar layout on different airframes (harriers, jags, hawks etc).  The USAF had a pretty standard scheme for each model, with variations for each individual aircraft - the pattern for the F-4 is pretty much the same for a Lakenheath or Woodbridge and for RF-4Cs at Alconbury too.  

Funnily enough the greens are probably most wrong on the F-111, but I quite like the effect.  One of the most effective has to be the RAF Arctic camo

41WINTER.JPG

Well finished off the F-4 pant job today & can’t quite decide if it looks right.  Not painted the canopy surrounds yet, and other detail still needed.  Trying to look like this

1265053.jpg?v=v40

actually looks like this

dq1fFLq_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Not so bad next to big cousin

1duequk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I am beginning to think the medium green is too light next to the dark green.  May need to re-do it with the olive-ish green from the F-111.

• Like 1

Think the paint scheme on the Phantom has grown on me.  Wasn’t convinced, but looks a bit better in daylight

yjaTrfd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Bit of a tidy up on the paint, red tail top & body band, and some black around the canopy inside.  And time to pose with one of the other F-4s

joRbWbR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Not very noticeable in this shot but she has has a dark wash over to tone down the sand and lighter green and bring out those nice recessed panel lines.  Canopy frames also being worked on.

xt7T9GX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

Main decals are just on, lots more stencils still to do but the ERTL sheet is pretty ropey.  

ACjJTvC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

0sAjioT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

uC4YKzp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And I had to get her Phantom Phriends down to pose

esKPb5D_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Starting to to look like the static line up at an airshow

• Like 1

Had a bit of a disaster with the HAS racking today.  I was sorting out the model boxes in the garage when 3 kits in the stash fell and totally squashed the racking

qmcbygJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I think most of it is toast, but it was always flimsy card, so might be time to build a new one in plasticard

6 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Silver lining: I'm sure v2.0 will be even better. :)

Well it will be stronger & more rigid.  Plasticard frame will hold up better to life in the garage than the reinforced card did

T4dEs71_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Got the ends together & the ‘trays’, which were card with steel rod glued under them, survived to be reused. Having a template to work from this time makes things easier.

I have managed to re use some bits, but the new frame for the racking is up & nearly complete 

cCaQ0Tr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Just need to make up a new ladder to go on the end.  And I really don’t fancy going out to the garage to spray paint it.  Not sure if the paint would even dry at the moment out there!

Sorry to read about the battle damage!  Version 2.0 looks to be a bit stronger.  Hang in there!