Building a HAS

Those adapters are quite interesting, aren't they? I assume the rectangular holes are for the forks of some standard fork lift but (since I don't think the weapons loader has forks??) I guess the missiles and their triple ejector rack (TER?) can be lifted off the stand by the loader - from the underside of the lower missile?. I wonder how the missing third missile is supplied/loaded? Can't see it on the trolley in your picture but it seems logical that it would be added to the rack at some point during loading. If it is not on the rack when the missiles/rack assembly is lifted off the adapter then it must be pretty hard to balance. Mavericks are reasonably pricey too - not the sort of thing you'd want to drop...

I also figure that the edge of the trolley must have a bunch of holes for the tie down traps - ah yes, I see a bunch of hooks if I look closely.

Enough musing on a subject I know bu**er all about (- as evidenced by all those question marks). With a bit of luck, one of those plumber types will rock up and explain how it's all done. Back to work Mr @bar side, those decals aren't going to fix themselves!! :)

Kirk

Your planned load is a tad heavy, but your call, of course.

Also - the Mavericks were never fitted in "3s" apart from for trials. Reason being, or so I read, that the rocket exhaust from the inner most would scorch the exposed tyre. As such they tended to be mounted as singles or in a "slant" formation, as per those on the cart. Bonus thing about that is youd only use one cart... ;)

Ignore me as you like, obviously, its yours to do as you please, just thought Id say.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Your planned load is a tad heavy, but your call, of course.

Also - the Mavericks were never fitted in "3s" apart from for trials. Reason being, or so I read, that the rocket exhaust from the inner most would scorch the exposed tyre. As such they tended to be mounted as singles or in a "slant" formation, as per those on the cart. Bonus thing about that is youd only use one cart... ;)

Yes, just hanging the racks of 3 they looked way too close to be used practically.  A pair of Mavericks, couple of paveways and the rest iron bombs would work.  Then spare Mavericks on a rack or trolley.

what did you make your fod covers from RMP?  Was going to try foil as usual & paint it but open to ideas

Just now, bar side said:

Yes, just hanging the racks of 3 they looked way too close to be used practically.  A pair of Mavericks, couple of paveways and the rest iron bombs would work.  Then spare Mavericks on a rack or trolley.

what did you make your fod covers from RMP?  Was going to try foil as usual & paint it but open to ideas

Masking tape rings n circles for the intakes, rice paper layers with PVA over foil for the exhausts. The exhausts were a fiddle and Im not really happy with either to be honest.

Just to keep @kirk happy, the loader is painted and the trolley has supports on it now.  The A-10 decals are done, but needs another coat of clear, then fod covers & rbf tags

MPWsM1I_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Doh. I finally remembered to post your seat today, have you glued the kit one in?

No it’s just loose in there.  For some reason I rarely get around to sticking seats in!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bar side said:

No it’s just loose in there.  For some reason I rarely get around to sticking seats in!

Perfect. Have fun with those PE belts... ;)

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Perfect. Have fun with those PE belts... ;)

Thanks I am sure the seat will look great, just hope my eye sight is up to the job! Do need more daylight these days for small parts.  Must be getting old

With great appreciation to @RMP2 the A-10 has a new seat.  So here it is next to the kit seat which has been keeping the ‘pit warm.  Spent all of 5 minutes painting the kit seat & adding tape belts as I didn’t intend to keep it

fWtdP26_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Looking forward to to those pe belts!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some pe on the seat and base coated it.  Then a quick wash over with some silver for raised Detail, olive on the seat and black on the frame.  No belts yet but looking good

UuDyIQI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

10 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Nice work.
I have to ask - Should the frame be black or grey in an A-10? Not that it really matters, just chucking it out there.

Good point - hadn’t considered anything but a black frame but...

846_rd.jpg

i guess I should have

Well I did finally get the let’s on the seat although it tested my eye sight.  Not sure if they are quite right but I am happy with them.

EU4VXN1_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And yesterday I had enough time to get the HAS out, with both the A-10 and the Apache.

9U6T6dS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

w9Gtmvk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The background picture is actually Bentwaters, so the A-10 felt quite at home.

ip996Mj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

kqUwBLy_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Lights on for the Apache but the doors are open amid the engine hasn’t started up yet.  Will do a video of her running at some point.

• Like 3

The A-10 and Apache are still looking at me from the shelf, but time to look at the next build.  Have been planning a uk based USAF F-4 for a while.  I wanted a Lakenheath bird, but now the decals are here I am considering another twin bases build.  Could be another WR.

IOpIoPT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Now as I have paint for the SEA camo I have a previous build that might get an overhaul.  I got an F-111 ages ago - cheap as it had no decals.  So I sprayed it grey & printed some Aussie decals.  Tried using a sharpie to do the lining too!  Actually wasn’t too bad, but if I now repaint it will probably show through, which is fine.  Additionally the F-111 has a badly cracked canopy.  I tried crash moulding a replacement, but it’s not great.  So planning to cut it up and pose it with doors open.

wWnKgo9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I was set to order some decals, but if I build a WR toom, then I could used the LN code for the F-111.  Although there are 2 lots of LN decals in the set, so could do both as Lakenheath.  Decisions decisions.

If you scroll between the posts quickly enough, the 'Vark almost morphs seamlessly into the 'Toom!

Anyway, s'pose you'd better build them now. :winkgrin:

Incidentally, are you still thinking of turning the HAS into part of a tessellating mega-diorama? I guess this would need some other material for the base to give sufficient rigidity. MDF? Too heavy? MDF-faced balsa?

(Perhaps you can tell that Tuesday night is questions night?)

Kirk

7 minutes ago, Kirk said:

If you scroll between the posts quickly enough, the 'Vark almost morphs seamlessly into the 'Toom!

Anyway, s'pose you'd better build them now. :winkgrin:

Incidentally, are you still thinking of turning the HAS into part of a tessellating mega-diorama? I guess this would need some other material for the base to give sufficient rigidity. MDF? Too heavy? MDF-faced balsa?

(Perhaps you can tell that Tuesday night is questions night?)

Kirk

Well the ‘Vark is built, just need to sort out the canopy & paint it (did you spot the ‘just’ in there??), and the toom got a dry fit tonight.  Got to love the old ertl & monogram kits.  Nice & robust & look the part without being over complex.

As for the HAS, not sure how many years the cardboard will hold out.  Have the mix & match base boards so maybe a new tougher shell one day.  And if building one, why not a couple?  I am sure my wife would understand completely

• Haha 1