Building a HAS

The main test for the A-10 is to see if its centre of gravity is ok.  With the 35g car wheel weight in place I stood it on its undercarriage legs

DZbEYlk.jpg

Sturdy old legs on this Revell bird.  She sits nice & steady so I think I will say that is going to work.  I guess I can now seal up the fuselage when I am ready now.

Risky bit done - now have a 2 part canopy!

xmwYIGc.jpg

It was always going to be built with an open canopy, so out with the dremel cutting disk & it cut ok.  Sanded the joint down a bit since .  And closed the fuselage tonight

Productive evening - filled around the fuselage & gave it a base undercoat.  Attached the tail (horizontal only), engines and wings.  She now looks like she is going to be a grey A-10 but it won't last.  Letting the joins dry now before fillering in the wing joints.  Tried the wheels on the undercarriage legs just to see & put her next to a cousin for scale

9y5Mkf2.jpg

PxoPj9M.jpg

• Like 1

Nah, the European one scheme has got to me now.  Fancy an F-4E from Spangdahlem to go with it.  Although SEA camo Lakenheath F-4D? Decisions decisions.

no worry about rushing @RMP2, be a while before I get that far - need to do some decals on the Apache soon

Understood re the WW F-4. I keep trying to avoid one to join my A-10, but in greys. Maybe because I did the Lizard camo in 72nd many years ago on a Hog and F-15. That or I hate masking....

• Like 1

Think all of the main bits are on the A-10 now.   Been such a pleasant built.  Few gaps needed filling but the rest is ok.  Wheels have basic paint on ready to fit & everything is sealed up ready for 3 tone paint job.  Bit of pre shading first then paint on!

Tried the paint - grey looks too pale & the green is just wrong! Might post a pic of how bad it is.  Will get more and try again.  On the other hand Apache decals continue, and continue....

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, bar side said:

Got to see what a grey A-10 looks like in a HAS

That's all very well but some of us are holding out for the green one! Is it the same green that UK used for the later (GR5) Harriers? If so, happy to wait until you've fixed the problem. :)

Kirk

On 03/10/2017 at 7:18 PM, bar side said:

Tried the paint - grey looks too pale & the green is just wrong! Might post a pic of how bad it is.  Will get more and try again.  On the other hand Apache decals continue, and continue....

These links any help re colours?

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/a-10/a-10_profile01.shtml

Although I dont have any photos of it, its long gone, Im damn sure I used Humbrol 79, 86 and either 102 or 117 on mine many years ago and it looked just fine to me.

Waiting in for the postman then Im ironically off to the Post Office to send your seat along with other stuff thats overdue sending out.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

Hmm, 117 might be an option.  I was going to stick with the Tamiya olive drab, might go grey humbrol 164 as the Tamiya grey looks too light.  Tempted to Humbrol 30 for the green though.  However this grey & green won't do - its brighter than this in real life

MLkjG5X.jpg

@Kirk it will be more than one green...

• Like 1

Went to the local hobby shop today with a shopping list of colours to fix the A-10.  My local hobby shop has some Humbrol rattle cans, but not many.  But it was going to be another week before I can get to my usual model shop.  So in I went & all I could get was Humbrol 30.  Quite liked the look of it for the green.  Gave the grey a second coat to see if that would darken up at all, same with the olive.  Both as a result look a bit 'shiny' in this shot while the good old Humbrol has gone properly matt

P2YfPJf.jpg

Definitely a bit more lizardy.  Right colours?  still not sure.  Will have a proper look in daylight tomorrow

Couple of daylight shots from yesterday.  Looks good in daylight, just trying to reassure myself that the colours are ok.

U96cZ7l.jpg

EDNaGsQ.jpg

And this is look I am aiming for.  Still not sure the grey is dark enough

image.jpg 

• Like 2

The grey looks off to me in the first daylight pics, seems to need to be darker/deeper and a little less blue. Otherwise I dont see it looking far off. Cameras lie though, so hard to be sure.

The artificial light pics look fine to me...

Still not posted your seat. Either work screws me up with PO opening times or I forget. Sorry, man, will get it to you eventually!

Im starting to want another A-10 in this scheme now.... could have a trio of the early greys, Lizard and the later grey schemes. But No, my stash is fixed, cabinet organised!!
He says....

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

The grey looks off to me in the first daylight pics, seems to need to be darker/deeper and a little less blue. Otherwise I dont see it looking far off. Cameras lie though, so hard to be sure.

The artificial light pics look fine to me...

I think the grey could have been darker, but it does change depending on the light.  And how long since I sprayed it.  Tends to look shiny even when dry until it has had 24 hrs or so.  Will give the whole lot a coat of clear once it’s painted & that should even it up a bit.

yep, mustn’t add to the stash he says....  had an f-4c/d eBay purchase arrive this week....  still haven’t finished the apache

• Like 1

Was going to say - a coat of clear tends to darken and pull stuff together.
I feel your pain though, had loads of trouble with my Su-25 colours and its still not perfect, but itll do.

Think the colours are near to the recently painted BCWM example, but still not sure they match the operational colours.  But they do match the kit instruction pattern & colours.  I think I can live with it but will finish it off as is & see

Finished putting the camo coat on the A-10 today & managed to get a pic with the canopy on & up on its wheels before it got dark.  Canopy is just sat on & wheels are on blu-tac, so things can still change.  This is how she looks

gDjYJ98.jpg

ZhORY6q.jpg

and underneath (just to prove it has got paint on!)

D2xTAFs.jpg

Tried a semi night shot as the outside security light came on.  All to see if I need to re-spray the grey (tamiya usaf gunship grey) with something like EDSG.

WYQHWOv.jpg

And the inspiration for a SEA camo F-4 - my old 1/72 Wild Weasel that I must have built 20+ years ago.  Still looks in reasonable shape!

ucJWqkC.jpg

That's my F4J (UK) in 1/48 behind it

Im still not feeling that grey, mate. Humbrol 79 or EDSG might do it. Could be wrong, but... I cant not say anything seeing as youre deliberating over it too.

Phantoms look bang on by the way.

Edited by RMP2

Just now, RMP2 said:

Im still not feeling that grey, mate. Humbrol 79 or EDSG might do it. Could be wrong, but... I cant not say anything seeing as youre deliberating over it too.

Think you are right, like the way it looks, but don’t feel it’s the right shade.  Good job that grey isn’t the most common colour on it !

It is a bit tricky as all of the colours seem to change according to light, but the grey just isnt working for my eyeballs.
I tried searching for the 1/72 Hasegawa destructions to check my conversion to Humbrol all those years ago, but no joy. Im still 99% sure it was Hu79 though and it looked about right, one of my better models that was back then, spurred me onto doing a lizard F-15E and Im no fan of F-15s as a rule!