Building a HAS

Talking about the markings at the side of the HAS's, as mentioned red is for the fire fighting equipment, usually space on both sides at the front and also space on either side at the rear of the HAS for when you see off a jet from inside, the stuff at the front gets taken out if there is a jet sat on the pan out front. Yellow is used for the armour area, in the HAS's at Marham this is across from the cabin and door into the HAS. The rest of the sides are painted with green and has written on there what should be in that area. Things should be put back in the correct places but it never is so i wouldnt worry to much if things arent in the correct places, theres always added stuff like crates and spares laying around in the way at the sides too. Also in the picture of the Tonka in the HAS the big red box is a canopy box if you didnt already know

• Like 2

Cheers Motley - I will have a proper look when the HAS comes out for a spring clean & set up.  It really needs a whole room or ideally outside now.  And if I am laying out the floor I will have a go at masking up the bays & painting them.  Need to scratch build some more crates & boxes, plus a canopy box - no I didn't know that is whats in there - thanks.

Its half the reason for doing Hoofddorp - that fits on the dining table & sets up in 5 mins.

• 1 month later...

The HAS came out in the sunshine and had a few running repairs so that it could provide a background for my scratch build project.  Nothing new done to it yet - time is not on my side for that.  Plus the scratch project has taken most available time recently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2016 at 9:05 PM, sean said:

Quite brilliant BS, this keeps getting better and better, can't wait to see what's next.

Maybe a Gazelle with turning rotor?.....

Sean

No, turned out not to be a Gazelle - its most likely to be an Apache

• 2 months later...

Not had the HAS out for ages.  Have been having a go at an Apache, which will look quite at home outside the front doors.  In the mean time the stash has been building up.  Today a nice new HAS resident arrived.  Well Bentwaters have got themselves an A-10 & so have I!

yUtE7dc.jpg

the Lynx will look at home too, but need to finish one helicopter first

• Like 1

Got to say I have seen a lot of A-10s fly and built a 1/72 kit before, but I just taped it together to see the size and got the link with a Stuka.  It's the wings.  Wasn't Hans-Ulrich Rudel a consultant on the A-10? 

In a brief break between the showers today the sun came out & so did the HAS.  The Apache looks quite at home

zfrIuVF.jpg

And the A-10 has been tacked together to get a view on size & wingspan.  Its a sizeable beast!

AAaCIRu.jpg

Checked & it will fit inside, but there isn't a lot of clearance

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Love the Apache bar side,the A-10 looks better in grey imho...

Hmm grey...

@RMP2 did that about as well as it can be done

Liking the 3 tone green scheme at the moment.  Also nicked from Robs thread

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/81tfw/Timeline

Now looking at an F-111 I built in a hurry a few years back & never really finished off well (and cracked the canopy) and wondering if I could go SEA cammo to sit with the Hog.  Some daft idea of cutting up the canopy to pose it open.  That would make a couple of big East Anglian birds.  Then a F-4D in SEA with WR or LN tailcode.....

6504c922007053ba677f6cc933f375e5.jpg

Need to do some more on that Apache before I get ahead of myself

Think the three amigos will look ok when done.  The F-111 looks ok in this pic, but trust me its little more than EDSG primer.  I experimented with doing the lining in sharpie which I may regret if I paint over it, but the lines showing through isn't an issue as they will need painting in anyway

20AKvg7.jpg

That trio make RAF jets of the time look positively dainty.  Only the Canberra is bigger and that won't fit in the HAS.

And a double check on fitting the A-10 in the HAS 

l0WPyO1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it (her? A-10s don't seem very female) inside the has with all of the accessories around it.

Been a while since I dropped by, good to see it still going.

If it's any help to sway you towards the greys, I put some of my A-10 photos on flickr after PB bombed -

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Been a while since I dropped by, good to see it still going.

If it's any help to sway you towards the greys, I put some of my A-10 photos on flickr after PB bombed -

Nice t see you back here.  Still have no id a where this is going, but still going it is.  The grey does look the business, but I remember going to a Bentwaters air show in my youth where the A-10s were multi shade green.  Plus the kit decals are for a WR tailcode green 'un.  Wish I had taken my camera - mind you it was a rubbish 110 pocket camera.

Going to have to check your thread to see what seat you used.  The kit one is, well, basic at best.  And I want an open canopy which Revell didn't really cater for what withe the one piece closed canopy.  Some careful cutting and a bit of scratch built raising mechanism needed.

Found this link tonight to photos of the 1985 Bentwaters air show.  That's the way I remember things.  Funny how a red & white Dominie turned up half way through!  Something must have lodged in the deepest recesses of the brain all those years back

http://www.airshowspast.com/raf-bentwaters-airshow-1985.html

Edited by bar side

Cheers @RMP2 may well do.  Liked the etch you used but don't think I will be going that way this time.  

Been loving seeing the A-10 back at Bentwaters in the Museum there

BCWMA10Sep10-44.jpg

BCWMA10Sep10-5.jpg

BCWMA10Sep10-15.jpg

now trying to match the colours for painting it.  Not that she is near painting yet

Edited by bar side

Bit of work getting stuff together, undercoat on the cockpit, wing halves together, engines built up.  Got the paints today too.  Could finish this really quickly but want to   'Improve' the cockpit area a bit first.  It's an old kit & showing its age, but it pretty fun to build up

What paints do you use?

I made a 1/72 A-10 back when I was a kid, Hasegawa I think it was. Im 99% sure the paint conversion for the grey came out as Hu79 and the olive as Hu86, but cant remember the brighter green - the colours looked pretty spot on to me though. No idea how I remember such things from best part of 30 years ago, but paint numbers stick in my head. :)

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

What paints do you use?

I made a 1/72 A-10 back when I was a kid, Hasegawa I think it was. Im 99% sure the paint conversion for the grey came out as Hu79 and the olive as Hu86, but cant remember the brighter green - the colours looked pretty spot on to me though. No idea how I remember such things from best part of 30 years ago, but paint numbers stick in my head. :)

Well going for some Tamiya rattle cans for this.  Was toying with Humbrol 164 and Olive 155, but got to Model Junction in Bury yesterday and the very helpful staff there matched up the Tamiya military colours - AS-6 (olive) and AS-27 (grey).  Was going for the full set but TS-43 looks a better bright green

OmIPBgs.jpg

The makeshift cardboard box spray booth has some bits going in to primer - only grey undercoat & check for joins & lumps & bumps

dNKiqcT.jpg

Tried a whole car wheel weight in the nose & thought 'that will do it' - no, not going to be enough.  Gonna need more lead.  The kit doesn't give a weight, but she is a major tail sitter.

Oh, and see what I mean about that seat

Edited by bar side

Found the seat. And its ridiculous PE belts - so small and fiddly, a real test of patience and eyesight, but worth the effort. Maybe...

36583897534_4f58dd23ea_b.jpg

35303877413_b5961488d0_b.jpg

Its yours if you fancy a shot at it, looks like you need something in there. Its the Aires  A-10/F-15 seat that only come as a pair - http://www.aires.cz/en/product/aces-ii-ejection-seat-a-10-f-15/8-1167/.

Think Ill be going for molded in belts in the future... ;)

That's a good looking seat @RMP2 - I'll drop you a pm.  Had a quick go at doing something with the kit cockpit & it scrubs up passably well

u2RVuMM.jpg

Not the finest work, quite shallow raised lines to dry brush over & try to pick out the main shapes.

Also tried out a bigger nose weight - 35g car wheel weight fits well & seems about right

skYULa2.jpg 

• Like 1