Building a HAS

1000 pounder on the centre line sounds doable.  Tried out the older hunter rocket pods on it today.

c4oVawB.jpg

Have also been playing with painting pilots today.  They look quite at home in the phantom.

Edited by bar side

Not doing much in terms of aircraft building at the moment so decided to make some more clutter.  Someone said pallets, and I thought packing cases & a couple of bits came together. Not perfect but should make good scenic clutter

WiTIwBB.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress to report, but a little ebay purchase arrived this week.  Not really after another Esci Northrop F-5, but it comes with the support group that I have been after for a while.  

5DaMYfQ.jpg

Lots of nice little clutter bits for the HAS in that

AfJR7Ar.jpg

Now I have heard that the USAF in Germany used Ford tractors as tow tractors.  Ford tractors were on RAF bases but I don't know for sure if they were used for towing.  Also I am not sure if they were green or yellow.  Time for some internet digging.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Liking the clutter that builds up with the new trolleys - not painted yet but fitting in nicely

Z2VBA0s.jpg

When you start to realise your stock of bits is getting a little out of hand...

QZSmyZM.jpg

That's not even all of it.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

My scratch build project is taking most of my time at the moment, but I have been doing bits with the ESCI ground crew set.  So here are some pics with the HAS, the Phantom and about as much clutter as I can come up with.

xKVWyBW.jpg

The Phantom has interchangable noses - the black nose cone is inside the HAS.  Partial appearance by the Bedford tanker on the left.

J2XgNpk.jpg

And an odd angle but I quite liked it

6ABwPXu.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Okdoky said:

The HAS is looking very business like ! What is next on the project list ?

Nige

Well Nige the next project is a new aircraft and its taking a while as its a scratch build.  It's a Dominie & progress is over in the aircraft wip section.could take a while though!

Edited by bar side

8 hours ago, James G said:

The lighting adds a lot to the effect.

Cheers James - just daylight this time, no internal lights or anything else, even though they do work

With regard to the HAS equipment I believe it was correct to position it in marked bays along the sides of the HAS.  This Tonka gives an idea of the marking out I was thinking of

ZA452%201.JPG

But this Lossiemouth Typhoon takes it to another level.  I assume this amount of colour & marking out came along more recently - I was thinking about 1980 ish

RAF-Lossiemouth-Typhoon-hangar-Hardened-

Not sure if the Wattisham HAS is painted as per operations or as a museum space

DSC00373.jpg

I guess yellow & red denote different items stored - yellow edged or solid yellow could be ground power / tools / ladders and red edged or solid red for weapons?  Might experiment with some lining with tape before painting things on

• Like 2

Fire points are  red with white outline. CO2, BCF, Foam, Dry Powder Extinguishers, buckets of sand.

Check the pic with the Typhoon.

Edited by bzn20

5 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Fire points are  red with white outline. CO2, BCF, Foam, Dry Powder Extinguishers, buckets of sand.

Thank you - that's a good place to start.  Have seen them inside the front door on the left.  I guess thats a usual location

I imagine it would be in a HAS. When the Fire Alarm goes the drill is to get out immediately take all the fire fighting gear with you. That's so we can be brave and run back in help fight it before the Fire Section turn up. In a HAS its closest to the main door. In hangars it could be anywhere, there were several but we knew where they were. In Base Hangar at Brize they were at the back of the 6 bays, probably 8-10  fire points full of gear I mentioned above plus Asbestos (ARGH!) Fire Blankets. Depending on year of course. they wont have them now and in a HAS anytime, probably went with the 70's. You'll need to get the right colours for extinguishers...Blue for Dry Powder, Black for CO2, Foam Cream, BCF kind of Olive Drab, Red for Water, Sand Buckets Red. Then some are trolleys (like the Typhoon pic but I don't understand the colour! It wont be water) some on two wheels (CO2) and a Lance (engine fires on runs)

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work to do on the HAS before getting it out again if I am going to mark out the floor spaces for the relevant equipment.  Itching to get the dominie posed there though.  Have a couple of kits poised for further down the road though.  Not quite in the recent jet can though.  Anyone seen any 1/48 buckets? Time for a Google.

Bit of sunshine, so thought the tractor would come out for a photo.  First on the floor

qJCOU97.jpg

Then on the hard standing base with the back scene

hXPM2vc.jpg

So she can pull an F-5, but what about something bigger?

nXp5mAI.jpg

The tractor seems to be a USAF Germany model, I don't think the RAF used them.  As such it should have reflective strips on the corners of the cab & front end.  But I am slightly tempted to stick an RAF yellow strip down the side.  I was going to hitch it up to my F-15 but the draw bar is too short & the tractor cab would hit the nose. 

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Bar

Idea for buckets ! Find some suitable diameter sprue and fit to drill chuck end  and use a speed controller to form a decent shaped master or series of formers all the same size !

Get some aluminium catering cartons and flatten and cut the necessary partial cone shape sides and either glue them direct to your formers with the top edge proud to add sand and handles or remove the former for empty buckets ! Make as many as you need dead cheap ! Use hole punch for the bottoms !

If you were really cleaver you could make a former for the old round metal buckets and lids that the dustmen used to put on their shoulders afore the days of the wheelie bins !

I use a drop of the cheap superglue from poundlands and a drop of the humbrol out of the needle type bottles mixed to glue the aluminium to any other materials and itself ! Accepts any paints too !

Nige

2 minutes ago, Okdoky said:

Bar

Idea for buckets ! Find some suitable diameter sprue and fit to drill chuck end  and use a speed controller to form a decent shaped master or series of formers all the same size !

Get some aluminium catering cartons and flatten and cut the necessary partial cone shape sides and either glue them direct to your formers with the top edge proud to add sand and handles or remove the former for empty buckets ! Make as many as you need dead cheap ! Use hole punch for the bottoms !

If you were really cleaver you could make a former for the old round metal buckets and lids that the dustmen used to put on their shoulders afore the days of the wheelie bins !

I use a drop of the cheap superglue from poundlands and a drop of the humbrol out of the needle type bottles mixed to glue the aluminium to any other materials and itself ! Accepts any paints too !

Nige

Think you could be on to something there Nige.  You could probably crash mold with plastic over a former, but the catering aluminium would give it a bit of weight & not fly away!  Mind you if you mounted 2 or 3 on a base it might work.  May have to do some experimenting.  Trouble is this Dominie keeps taking up my time.

Trust me Bar ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A bucket or two will be one of these daft fill in jobs you could probably sketch the cone shape on paper first to get the look and size right ! Then cut out as many as you need in minutes !

Nothing to them 

Nige

11 minutes ago, Okdoky said:

Trust me Bar ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, A bucket or two will be one of these daft fill in jobs you could probably sketch the cone shape on paper first to get the look and size right ! Then cut out as many as you need in minutes !

Next take away then....

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the news today and spotted a clip about the f-35s at Lakenheath on the BBC and found some nice views. Credit to the BBC for these stills

3L2vNWL.jpg

And then I spotted a nice HAS!

hx0xknl.jpg

The picture almost looks Photoshoped but it isn't.  Future ideas for the HAS when Marham gets its F-35s?

Full clip here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-39777462/refuelling-a-100m-fighter-jet-at-350mph

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2