Building a HAS

Dug out one of the light bulbs I used for the Landy.  As the Bedford came with no lights at all - i assume they were taken off or fell off some time before I got it - the bulb gives an ideal shape for a replacement.  The bulb has a long but unnecessary probe on the back that can come off, so next job will be to drill out the holes & see how it fits.  Could use a couple more painted orange for the warning lights on the top of the tank or cab.  I have an idea to disguise the power lead as the fuel hose.  Lots more bits for the cab needed - cab side light clusters are missing as are the rear view mirrors.  Need a nice yellow stripe down the doors too.  Then there is the tank & hose storage.  I have to say that every tanker picture I have seen seems slightly different, so I may use a bit of artistic license.  

KYTDUCu.jpg

TK with the bulb in question

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Well the headlight sockets drilled out ok and the bulbs seem to fit.  Not soldered up but looks better than sticking on some shaped up clear plastic sprue.  Couple more painted orange on the top?

nv1f88g.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Well I do have a desk christmas tree that flashes, so maybe, separate circuit, orange bulb, might work.  Mind you it would only show in a video. not a photo.  

Why am I even thinking this stuff???   Its the bad influences on here I tell you

Have you ever encountered Arduino? It's a system of technologies that allows you to create little controllers that you can use for a variety of purposes at very low cost. There's a simple, well supported programming environment that allows you to create a program that you then squirt down (a technical term) to your chosen "board" (another technical term describing a little circuit board that you can buy for pennies) to make it do "stuff" (yet another technical term) using standard USB cables. My 12 year old made one act like a set of traffic lights in about 10 minutes.

Point is, without much cost or effort, you can make a circuit that can do quite fancy flashing/switching/sounding/etc and reduce your reliance on comparatively expensive items like desk Christmas trees. E.g. you could use one to run a loop switching on a vehicles headlights/tail lights, then indicating or flashing the warning lights, or switching on an aircraft's taxy lights followed by it's beacon. strobes etc. This might not be appropriate if the primary purpose of your diorama is to allow all this marvellous photography but I thought I'd mention it.

Kirk

• Like 1

Cheers Kirk, will have a read about Arduino - hadn't heard of them before.  Sounds like they would give lots of options.  Might also raid the post Christmas bargain bins for cheap lighting options too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you all had a good Christmas & looking forward to the new year.

Not a lot been going on here, but did take the dremel to the Bedford tanker.  The headlights are in & ok, so I had a look at the tank. It sits a bit high, so cut the mounting points down a bit. Cut the walkway about on the top & firmed up the pump housing a bit.  Its card, but will look better with some paint on it.  

VKbsNa5.jpg

The tank isn't really the right shape, but I am sure there was more than one approach to this out there.  Fancy some booms on the top a la Airfix Bedford QL tanker.  And some lights.  Flashing orange lights either end of the tank.

Meanwhile the grey green fleet had a little tail work.  The Hawk lost a decal off the tail - changed from 195 to 95 without me noticing.  So that got fixed & a coat of Klear to stop it happening again.  Then the Lighting finally got the right tail letters.  The kit only gives a 'G' so I used that knowing it was wrong.  However the Phantom decals donated a correct 'BH' so that went on.

g4lbXiP.jpg

Guess that's about it for 2016 - Happy New Year!

Edited by bar side

• 2 weeks later...

This tanker carries on looking more & more heath robinson by the day.  Its at its worst now - going for a coat of paint to see how it all ties together soon.  Basically it a TK cab & chassis with a drop on load at the moment.  Would be cool to try & design a 3D print back that would drop on any Corgi truck.

5ekAKDK.jpg

Edited by bar side

Coat of paint and it definitely looks more the part.  Loads lefts to finish it - needs yellow lining, fuel warning signage, adding cab light clusters and rear view mirrors, etc

GFVQgXV.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Yep ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you cannae forget some rear view mirrors ! The final bits will bring it all together nicely !

looking the part right enough and will add another dimension to your photo shoots !

Crack on

Nige

Right quick chance to pose the tanker today with the Hawk.  Not fully done, but getting there.  Looks much more the part now.

67aJp9M.jpg

The lights work - no flashing yet but they do come on

3TD5XEu.jpg

And the other side plus the power cord that needs to be made to look more like a fuel hose

CDj5r8N.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Wonder if someone makes a fine coax cable that would do for the 'fuel line'?

Was thinking about a sleeve that would go over the thin telephone cords.  There are 4 as the headlights & orange roof lights are on separate lines

Ah, with you. You need something that has 4 cores (or 3 + an earth shield) that is circular in section and, what, a couple of mm in diameter?

Incidentally, this is one of the opportunities of an Arduino set up; you can have just power coming into the model (in which you embed the controller) and route the fine wires to the lights from there. When you apply power to the Arduino (e.g. through the fuel hose), it runs the program you set it - e.g. Flash lights, switch on/off headlights etc. You could hide a switch that cycled to the next "routine" too if you want. These things are so flexible. Only downside would be that if you want to change the program, you need to get a micro USB cable to the controller. Pretty hard if it is hiding in the fuel tank.

Love the Hawk set up though. This is great.

Kirk.

Would be a solution Kirk - got a Harrier, Landrover & Bedford tanker with wires coming out of them, plus the HAS lights.  I think the HASes later got flood lights on the outside to illuminate the hard standing.  Maybe even one of those portable pop up light trailers for night operation?    Will need to sort out control for them all at some point.  Trouble is the set up is never the same twice!

In theory there is no need for a tanker in the HAS as it had its own fuel in the annex.  But the visitors outside always need a top up.

Time to tidy up the home for the tanker.  I built the shell up ages ago but hadn't done anymore.  Bit of a push today & its looking better

qulKG83.jpg

Even trying out some lights inside

7oc4RSy.jpg

Can you tell that the base isn't flat??

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

That just looks so cool in the light of the shed ! You maybe could do with some slices of rubber glued to the shed with some railway scenery to merge the shed with the base and act as a baffle for the light ! Would let you place the sheds at different positions without worrying about the edges being to rigid to mate with your concrete !

That is looking so cool !

Nige

Cheers Nige

Its all part of the multi unit setup that will get placed out at some point.  I'll do some inside shots & properly sort out the lighting later.  Quite fancy the idea of the HAS and the hard standing for visitors & now the home for various vehicles & GPU kit.  Plus the taxi way.  Maybe a blast pen.  Always wanted to pose a few aircraft & the HAS really only allows a couple.  Can't really fit the canberra in at the moment.

Couple of pics of the new building.  The 'garage' building turned up when searching for modelable buildings at Wattisham.   It is from a different era to the HAS & not likely to be too near them. However some of the HAS sites were on the old WW2 dispersal sites, so they could be just across a taxiway from each other.  This was the pic I found (not mine by the way - link to the owners PB):

http://rs133.pbsrc.com/albums/q51/norwichpaul/RAF Wattisham/watt53-1.jpg~c200

And this is how it has come together:

mL6LD7Y.jpg

I wasn't sure about the roof so I guessed as a corrugated iron roof over steel trusses.  The lights haven't gone in permanently yet, and the roof is detachable

9poVvob.jpg

The walls are cardboard with brick paper over it - good old model rail style.

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

Got the HAS set up the other day, mainly to include the Bedford tanker in some shots & maybe the garage too.

NjACSnR.jpg

Think the tanker looks quite at home.  By the way the Phantom has had a nose job.  I realised that I had a spare nose cone & had never glued the last (black) one on, so I swapped it over for a grey nose cone. Can now swap between them!

SaFTxck.jpg

ueAO1cL.jpg

Quite happy with the Phantoms at the moment.  Trouble is thinking what to pose them with - Lightning / Tornado / Hawk / Harrier?   I think a Tonka F3 may be needed.  The Jag scheme is to late really

Edited by bar side
  • Like 2

I hope my up coming tarmak looks as convincing.  I like the weathering at the front of the hanger. Good job.

Cheers Rich - the concrete apron is just painted mdf or sometimes a flattened cardboard box.  Some white emulsion with some black poster paint.  Don't mix it too well & you get different shades and white / black streaks.  Then pencil line gaps and an over spray with anything white / grey / black that is around.  Cheap & works for me.  Also, when photographed from low down it can't be seen clearly & looks better.

• Like 1

Been having a go at finishing off the load out on a couple of them tonight.  The Harrier has got its tanks and a pair of aim-9s.  The Phantom is trying on the Harrier's 4 navy rocket pods.  They look good but aren't right.  Might leave them there though

xLFW0f5.jpg

1UeI3TX.jpg

Edited by bar side