Building a HAS

9 hours ago, Okdoky said:

Have you checked out whether there is a ready made set from rail way suppliers that do fire engines and the like ! If you could splash out once for a pre programmed light set you might find the port starboard and dorsal etc lights avaliable almost plug and play !

I would probably blow a fuse after blowing a few bulbs being ham fisted !

Also would there be potential to hide a join line in you backdrop behind a lighting tower or some other convenient linear structure placed over ?

There are some great bits on line for oo gauge or even n gauge lighting, but this string of lights cost £1 so I can experiment.  Also, they run on 2 AA batteries so can't do too much damage.  I cut into one led last night & didn't stop the strip working! 

I was going to use the real gpu port location & run power out either behind the houchin or maybe even spray the battery pack green & stick wheels on it

Blue-tac & masking tape got the GR3 up on its wheels.  Now this is how she looks:

aPqOelo.jpg

In the tips os each wing is a cut down LED and another on the nose wheel.  The rest of the string is still attached, but will be cut off & tidied up.  There will need to be one in the tail, and top & bottom anti collision lights.  But these required the most work & would decide if this is a go or no go.  So lights on:

XWnatAg.jpg

OVldbzp.jpg

Think that looks ok.  Will take a bit of shaping up to get the wing tip lights to blend in, but not too much or they will snap off now all of the strengthening has been cut away.  And painted green & red of course.

So, houchins provide power....

IBndkhs.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Right taken the plunge & joined the fuselage halves and put the wings on.  That means the wiring is now sealed inside.  The external power lead have been changed to some telephone wire & pushed out through the GPU port.  I didn't go for flashing anti collision lights as that would have meant at least 3 if not 4 wires & that would have looked bad.

b6mPfzz.jpg

5OZmcO9.jpg

Now getting some green stuff on the joints & starting on the outside detail before thinking about paint 

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Started throwing some paint at the Harrier - only green and on the top but its looking OK

B8zItvp.jpg

ECFh0ar.jpg

Looks a bit like arctic camo.  Can't say the kit is particularly modern & hadn't really won me over, but quite liking it now its got a bit of paint

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Perhaps a little late, but Im pretty sure you can get flashing LEDs. Its all good fun nonetheless. :)

And yea, how dinky is the Harrier? Its one of the most surprising things for me when I finally build something - just how the size of some things compares to others when theyre not 1:1.

Looking forward to getting it set up with the HAS too Kirk.  Should look quite at home, even if it isn't a common RAFG HAS.

The LEDs are all glued in now RMP, flashing would have been nice but maybe next time.  The exercise with lights has been a bit of fun, but I am still convinced that I will finally finish it & a either one bulb will stop working or the whole lot will!

I am taking the scale with a bit of a pinch of salt.  I stood next to a sea harrier & a lightning at Flixton and didn't feel the harrier was too much smaller, but this kit does seem a little underscale.  Maybe nearer 1/50 than 1/48.  Haven't checked the dimension though.  The scale pilot who came with it is definitely malnourished compared to a Monogram pilot, or an airfix lightning pilot.

Scale is funny. Airfixs Lightning and Hasegawas/Revells Phantom are around the same size in 1/48. A Harrier is smaller, sure, but Hawk size seems a tad underfed to my mind.

Still, I reckon its different when you can see the whole thing at once. Got to go careful or we will be doing rivet things next. ;)

• Like 1

On 2016-01-10 at 8:09 PM, bar side said:

** - photos updated - seems photobucket lost the last two somewhere

Yeah the problems for me with photobucket are increasing. Now it takes forever to load pictures there so I have started using other services. I hope I can see your pictures soon.. :/

\\Dan

9 hours ago, Zippo the Zipdrive said:

Yeah the problems for me with photobucket are increasing. Now it takes forever to load pictures there so I have started using other services. I hope I can see your pictures soon.. :/

\\Dan

Looks like photobucket is down for maintenance - back soon hopefully

Quick couple of Harrier shots from last night.  Only the top is painted - still primer underneath.  But balanced on blutac-ed undercarriage she looks ok

HQP9sqd.jpg

Now talking about size comparisons, this is how she looks next to the Jag

ao3oYWq.jpg

Edited by bar side

2 minutes ago, Okdoky said:

Will be nice to see it lit up inside the HAS with ground crew doing run up checks on it !

Cheers Nige.  Yes, bit more paint to go - underside is now painted, then decals.  And then time to set up the HAS at night

The Harrier has its roundels on but no squadron markings yet.  But the urge to get it posed, lights on, in the HAS was too much to resist.  So here it is:

ZNo3qr9.jpg

Lots more still to do, but it may take something to make it look any better than this!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Been getting on with the Harrier decals & she has become a Wittering bird.  I was torn between making her an RAFG aircraft but I remember the GR.3s flying out of Wittering as I headed up the A1 to university.

Posing today with the Hawker / HawkerSiddeley family

7xHdQjq.jpg

MXjDLLb.jpg

Found a nice reference to -  a photo of standing right in front of a GR.3 starting up at Mildenhall many years ago

bjVC6rx.jpg

Edited by bar side

Brilliant!!

You've turned me into a diorama convert, Mr.Side! The breadth of detail adds so much to the individual models. I guess that how it works is that the eye is drawn around the whole scene and I never get to the point where I notice something like a little intake moulded shut (so this must be a model).

Bravo.

Two Harriers would look really cool though, eh?:)

4 minutes ago, Kirk said:

The breadth of detail adds so much to the individual models. I guess that how it works is that the eye is drawn around the whole scene and I never get to the point where I notice something like a little intake moulded shut (so this must be a model).

That's about the size of it Kirk - the scene stops you looking at the detail.  My kits don't compare to the detail of other on here, but I can stick an old ESCI Tornado in there that would get laughed at elsewhere and in the scene it looks right(ish)  I would love to build them to a real high standard and from the latest kits, but budgets won't allow that for now.  So this keeps me busy.

Another Harrier?  Do fancy a GR.7 or 9 one day but not yet I don't think.

Loving the pics again though I am wondering if you should have the red tinted lenses on the rear of the Landy (unless the camera is just not picking up the colour) !

I know you are still working on the Harrier so I know you are likely to be tinting the red and greens as needed !

The lights are so effective and well in scale for the effect you are getting ! Very enlightening !

Nige

On 11/15/2016 at 11:09 PM, bar side said:

XXZwhZO.jpg

On 11/16/2016 at 0:03 AM, Okdoky said:

Loving the pics again though I am wondering if you should have the red tinted lenses on the rear of the Landy (unless the camera is just not picking up the colour) !

Yes the landy does have a red film inside so the lights do look red to the naked eye, not necessarily to the camera!  And the Harrier wing LEDs have been painted over red & green - you can just see the green glow under the wing above, but the LEDs are pretty bright & do look white in photos.  Would turn down the voltage but the are only running on 2 x AA batteries

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1