A quick guide on making trees

David Mooney

Well for those of us that wish to do a forrest or some trees on thier diorama i have put together an idea i came across and its cheap (which is always good). Ive sat and considered buying the prebuilt trees but it wold need a bank loan to get close to having a deep forrest look. So low and behold nature came to my resuce here, i was in the garden doing so digging and i notice a bunch of roots growing and they got me thinking...............cheap trees!

IMG_0094_zpsivcx6jea.jpg

These were growing from a conifer that I was evicting as it was getting to big, but as you can see they have a good base shape of a tree. So after I let them dry out and cleaned the dirty of I begun leafing in it with so dark earth course grade tufts to give it some depth. To do this I sprayed it with hairspray and rolled it around GENTLY in a tub of the dark earth tufts

IMG_0100_zpsvo7pxteg.jpg

As you can see its a good start, so I repeated this a few times to make it look a bit fuller of leaf even though it will be a autum-ish tree for a later dio I am planning.

IMG_0101_zpsypobihby.jpg

So now I added some fine yellow tufts and a pinch of red for the autum-ish look, so nearly 1/4 of the hairspray has gone (don't tell you girlfriends or wifes when you do this and its her's) but its building up slowly. The idea is to build up layers of colours, dark on the inside and lighter ones on top.

IMG_0110_zpsgpgcnppg.jpg

So this is how it will look (placed next to a dio) after a few coats of hairspray and placed in your tufts. Many people have tried making trees and come out with better results than me but this is one of the first times I have used real roots and hope to find better ways to make them

IMG_0111_zpsj0lnuojy.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsqqdx9nku.jpg

Not too shabby and would be good with 20 more in a forest, big plus it cost next to nothing to make! all comments welcome.

Edited by David Mooney
  • Like 13

May I should have added that, sorry about that! I got them from the garden and bent them to shape while they damp, then kept them pinned till they dried. Hope that helps

Yep that helps :goodjob:

I was just worried what would happen when they 'dried out'.

I will try this as I think it has many permutations. :work:

• 4 weeks later...

That looks super! However, I would worry that all the 'foliage' would drop off over time. Hairspray alone won't hold it in place forever, surely? Have you sealed the whole lot with some kind of varnish? I made a tree from twigs and 'leafed' it with seeds from nettles. I smothered the nettles seeds with PVA glue and it seems pretty permanent to me.

Edited by Badder

• 1 month later...

David

Love the idea! I have come back to the hobby after a long break and do small scale 1/72 battles with my young son.

At the moment I have no scenery whatsoever and have been thinking about how I can get some cheap trees made. This might just be it!!

Thanks for sharing.

Andrew