Tatooine diorama for Star Wars Podracer

Hi all,

I haven't tried a diorama since I was a young fella but when building a Star Wars Podracer for the recent Sci FI GB, I knew I had to give it a try! So armed with stuff I found around the garage and garden, here's some pics..

A base from MDF kindly donated by fellow forum member, Chief Wiggum. I went for a round base because I felt it was a good contrast to the Podracer which is long and narrow..

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_1_zpsivs6ny1t.

Sanded the base and added a couple of brush coats of leftover wood stain. I then glued down some cardboard and a piece of scrap wood to support the ship in flight..

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_2_zpsb5r1c121.

Then lashed on some Polyfilla and tried to add some texture to it with a wooden stick while it dried. I also added some suitably sized pebbles from the garden as rocks, pushed into the 'filla. I sprinkled some of the kids' play sand over it as well as it dried.

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_6_zpsqa9mnuqo.

You can make out the brass beam that's glued in a hole drilled in the wooden block - this had a corresponding, smaller sized beam in the Podracer port engine

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_4_zps0zajrtzz.

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_Engines_paint_9_zps

Once the base was dry, I brushed it with a suitably sandy colour. But it looked a bit 'one-dimensional'.

Having read a bit more about groundwork, I gave the raised bits a drybrush with a lightened version of the base colour...which I thought turned out ok!

AMT_Anakins_Podracer_base_7_zpsg3te5pmo.

When the Podracer was finished, I added it to the base - the starboard engine is supported by a thick piece of wire hidden within the 'energy binders' while the pod itself is supported by two bits of painted wire coat hanger.

AMT_Star_Wars_Anakins_Podracer_1_zpsgxdn

AMT_Star_Wars_Anakins_Podracer_3_zpsruqe

And that's it! For something made from leftovers (apart from the metal beam which I bought), I'm really happy with the end result!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 19

I like how you cant see the support base rods.

Did you use the kit included rods at all?

When I built this, I was a bit skeptical about those rods, but they are more sturdy than they look.

Also, did you have the same problem with the windscreen plastic as I did, as it wouldnt glue & kept popping out.

I also thought the fuel lines should had been a hardened rubber instead of the plastic, which would have moulded better around the support struts on the pod.

All in all an awesome result, way better than mine.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

I like how you cant see the support base rods.

Did you use the kit included rods at all?

When I built this, I was a bit skeptical about those rods, but they are more sturdy than they look.

Also, did you have the same problem with the windscreen plastic as I did, as it wouldnt glue & kept popping out.

I also thought the fuel lines should had been a hardened rubber instead of the plastic, which would have moulded better around the support struts on the pod.

All in all an awesome result, way better than mine.

Thanks for your comments!

I tried out the kit rods but fairly quickly realised they would be too flexible and not up to the job. I can't take any credit for hiding the support pylon - Jim James' build used this technique (where I got the idea).

Windscreen - yep, I share your pain! What an absolute pain to put in. I ended up sanding the bejeepers out of mine to scuff it up (and hide the creases and glue marks). Anyway, I figured racing across a sandy terrain would shot-blast the "real" thing anyway...

I was surprised how it all turned out...and learned a bit along the way too.

Cheers,

Dermot

Windscreen - yep, I share your pain! What an absolute pain to put in. I ended up sanding the bejeepers out of mine to scuff it up (and hide the creases and glue marks). Anyway, I figured racing across a sandy terrain would shot-blast the "real" thing anyway...

Cheers,

Dermot

I did pretty much the same thing, I resorted to superglue in the end, but it sent the screen dusty white.

So I wondered what Citadel Agrax Earthshade would do.

Not only did clean the superglue dust out, but it made a dirty weathered look, which I wad really pleasently suprised with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...