hydra triebflügel

Hi chaps.

Since I am waiting on sac landing gear and photoetch for my valkyrie, and struggling with the canopy on my su-47, I thought I would start another build.

Not got a back story for this build, as it already exists in Hollywood land.

I intend to build a model of the red skulls personal transport, the triebflügel.

DSC_0132.jpg

This will be the starting point, huma models 1/72 kit.

the_red_skull_focke_wulf_triebflugel_hyd

This design will provide the inspiration, along with screen grabs from the film.

Not a large part count to this kit, and only 2 sprues of light grey plastic. Don't know how old the moulds are,but there is plenty of flash evident on the kit.

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

The gaps in the first sprue shot are where the main fuselage sections were attached.

DSC_0127.jpg

Very basic instructions.

DSC_0131.jpg

Only a small decal sheet.

As there aren't any decals available (as far as I know) I will be attempting to make my own. This will be a first for me.

DSC_0126.jpg

Got the two main fuselage sections joined, not too much trouble, but there are no location points. I think it is a short run kit. Sanding the seams has removed a lot of the panel lines from the surface. Don't know if I should try to rescribe them, or sand the rest off. The remaining panel lines are rather wavey and indistinct in places.

DSC_0130.jpg

Pulled all the parts for the cockpit section, did I mention this kit lacks a lot of detail? Ready for painting. Only thing missing from the picture is the pilots seat. A pilot figure is included, but I think I will leave him out, as he looks badly sculpted, a rather indistinct blob.

Going to paint the interior aluminium, then assemble.

Well that's as far as I've got, so far.

See you later.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 4

Yea, I am bummed about the scaling (done for 28mm wargame stuff) but from the sizes I figure there could be something that would fit 72nd stuff.

They also have a Shield set on their site though looks like it is geared towards a ground vehicle (scroll to the bottom).

http://035f399.netsolhost.com/companyB_anime.html

Edited by philp
  • Like 1

Evening chaps.

Following on from my previous post,where I mentioned big guns, I will outline my plan.

DSC_0139.jpg

Pictured here us the nose of my triebflügel . You can just about make out the weedy looking guns moulded in. They're little more than dimples, and I've seen bigger rivets moulded on airframes, not befitting of a major terror organisation.

DSC_0140.jpg

Picked these up cheap from my local model shop. They are 1/35 scale 7.62 brownings.

As the triebflügel is 1/72 scale they should look more impressive.

DSC_0141.jpg

Hopefully I am going to fare one in each side of the nose. Hopefully they will look more befitting of such a craft.

I have my motor tool in hand, I'm going in.

Don't think it will be pretty.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Right I'm back.

So I took my life, and kit, in my hands and set about it.

I extended the centre panel line to the front of the nose.

DSC_0143.jpg

Using a round needle file I started a groove along the line.

DSC_0144.jpg

Decided this was my weapon of choice, a round burr.

DSC_0145.jpg

I ground out a channel, then attacked it with numerous needle files until I ended up here.

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

This is my next move, going to glue a tube in, when dry, I will file it back to the nose profile and hopefully have a nice fillet to fit my guns in.

Edited by S5 modeller

I'm back again.

I'm like a bad penny, I keep turning up!

I'm waiting for glue to dry on the nose tubes, so I've moved onto the wings.

Well I call them wings, are they technically rotors? Who knows.

The wing section consists of 3 wing/rotors with a ramjet on the end of each, and a central ring they fit into.

DSC_0137.jpg

The ring comes in 2 sections, one slips inside the other. There are 3 holes around the circumference, but I could only get 2 of them to line up.

DSC_0138.jpg

The third hole is rather mismatched. Might need to fill it and redrill it.

DSC_0153.jpg

Chopped the 3 wings off the sprue. You may be able to see how worn the tooling is, as there is quite a lot of flash on them.

DSC_0161.jpg

2 of them also have quite prominent sink marks that will need filling. I will sort these out when the ramjet units are assembled.

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

Huma were quite lax with the tooling, as each jet has a massive ejector pin inside.

I've attacked them with my scalpel and scraped and polishedthem away.

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

Just got to rinse and repeat with the other halves.

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

These 2 pics show how bad some of the flash is.

Huma only supply minimal detail for the engines. Only some sort of jet face and spike arrangement.

DSC_0162.jpg

Who knows how accurate they are? Hard to tell on a subject that is pretty much pure fiction.

That's it for now chaps.

• Like 2

I sent an email off to Company B about the decals and got a nice reply from Bruce. They still have the Hydra markings and can print them in 72nd scale.

I have asked how much they will be and will probably order both scales and the Shield decals. Tell me what size markings you need and depending on how long it takes to get to me I can send you a few.

• Like 1

OK, will do.

They have forwarded my request to their decal guy.

I asked for a couple sheets on their list, also a couple to be rescaled to 72nd and a few custom requests (Battletech in 72nd scale) so will see what they say.

Their average sheet price on their website is $4-8 so as long as rescaling isn't too crazy should be a decent price.

Got some more progress to report.

Been working on the armament.

I've glued some styrene tube into the nose halves.

DSC_0147.jpg

Started to shape it to the nose profile.

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

Just roughed to the correct shape at the moment.

DSC_0171.jpg

I've slathered them in filler, so I can blend them in better. I'm also removing all the panel lines except for the control surfaces. Want a nice smooth airframe.

All the panel lines were crap in any case. They were wavey and indistinct, didn't match up and varied in depth.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

Hopefully it will look ok when I'm done. You can see what I'm aiming for here.

Also got the ramjets assembled on the wings.

DSC_0172_1.jpg

They just need the joins filling now.

Decided the mounting pins on the wings wouldn't be secure enough, so I drilled them out to pin them to the ring with 1mm brass rod.

DSC_0173.jpg

Some of the drilling got a bit close to the surface, but hope a bitof filler will sort them out.

Edited by S5 modeller

Interesting build so far. But...the machine guns are mounted backwards, the centre pin is where it fixes into the body of the machine gun. I think they would look a lot better the other way around.

That tooling must be 20+ years old now. When first released they were very good but they were always sort of short run despite being a lot better than most.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, sleeperservice.

The guns aren't fixed in, so easy enough to flip them round.

Thought the tooling must be getting on a bit, judging by the flash on the parts. Same with the short run, as there are no location pins for any of the components.

Cockpit is a bit rudimentary as well.

Got some more work done.

I didn't like the stubby pin on the wing ends, didn't look like it would hold up to much,and the wings might sag.

DSC_0173.jpg

So I chopped them off, and drilled them out to accept 1mm brass rod.

The mounting holes in the ring were also misformed and misaligned, so I filled them, and re drilled them between the old holes.

Superglued the wings in place.

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

There is a rather evident gap at the wing roots, so I tried to fill it with milliput. All was going well untill I tried to sand it to shape. The milliput didn't adhere to the plastic, and fell out. Don't know if I will try again, or just leave them as is.

Whilst I had the rod and drill out, I tackled the landing gear.

DSC_0185.jpg

The connection between the wheel uprights and the fin look a bit big and klunky to me, plus they are not round.

DSC_0186.jpg

Started with a sketch of the part, to help with alignment later, and to check the distance between the fin and the wheel.

DSC_0190.jpg

Detached the connection and wheel from the fin. I also marked thre drill path.

Drilled out the fin, and bent a rod to give me the correct angles, and glued it in.

DSC_0188.jpg

Drilled the hole through the leg upright and glued it all together, using the sketch I made to get it all lined up.

DSC_0191.jpg

One down, 3 more to do.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

I'm back!

Update time. Yay.

Made some good progress today.

All 4 fins and landing gear have been modified with brass rod.

I've filled and sanded ad nauseum the main body, to remove all the panel lines, as I prefer the look of a smooth sleek finish.

Took the plunge and attached the fins to the body.

DSC_0188_1.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0186_1.jpg

They are currently setting using my patented alignment and clamping setup.

Tried my best to get them square to the body and each other. Will see how they look tomorrow.

Been working on the cockpit too. It's rather sparse containing only a seat.

This is my first proper attempt at scratchbuilding and detailing a cockpit.

I've built up two side consoles and attempted to add some details to busy it up. I've also made a stick out of 0.8 rod.

DSC_0193.jpg

I dipped the end in superglue, and used accelerator to set the blob.

It's a bit rustic, and maybe oversize, but almost none of it will be visible.

I'll post pics of the cockpit soon.

As promised a couple of shots of my crude cockpit...

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

The sides and consoles were made of 0.02" plasticard and the knobs and thrust control were made of slices of stretched sprue and scrap plastic.

It's not very neat, but will be invisible when installed in the fuselage.

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

A couple of shots, to show the current state of play, the upper fuselage and wings? Are only dry fitted at the moment.

I had to adjust some of the legs to get it standing on it's wheels, just hope it's still ok when the main wheel is fitted.

Finally, a side by side with my su-47, to show how small it is. They're both in 72nd scale.

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

Just got to paint up the cockpit, fit the instrument decals, then the nose can be closed up and fitted.

I think I am going to push a big lump of milliput into the bottom of the main fuselage, as it is rather light.

Onwards and upwards.

Matt

• Like 1

Tried to mask the canopy last night, didn't go so well, the framing is rather indistinct.

Decided to try painting it freehand, will put some pics up later, not entirely convinced I like it though.

Will leave it to you chaps to see what you think. I can always break out the thinners!