Airfix Beaufighter (new tool) and Hurricane MkIIc SEAC 1/72

Hi peeps, hope your all good.

I've just recently picked up the Airfix Beaufighter 1/72, it is stunning, such a Beau-tiful kit (see pics below). So I decided to pop it straight onto the workbench along with a friend, a Hurricane MKIIC. I purchased the Hurricane off ebay for nearly £14, they are going for high prices and I assume, like me peeps are buying them purely for the decal sheet of that white sea hurricane.

Since I was left with a kit without decals I had an xtradecal sheet with several versions of the MKIIC one being a SEAC and since my plan was to build the Beaufighter in SEAC I have decided to build them both side by side.

IMG_20150818_183107_zpshhknraak.jpg

DSC_2460_zpsctyd5ujh.jpg

DSC_2462_zpsi3zvhzdh.jpg

DSC_2463_zpspxtf2ofu.jpg

DSC_2464_zpsdlbkblk0.jpg

DSC_2467_zpsw803s17s.jpg

IMG_20150818_183134_zpseyo7xk2e.jpg

DSC_2472_zpswkl3uuy8.jpg

Will keep you all updated as it goes, and hope you enjoy.

Both will be OOB apart from the aftermarket decals.

• Like 5

I had the pleasure of meeting the Beau on Sunday at the local club

Wow

After the old Airfix moulding this is several different planets away

haven't looked at the Hurri yet so I will enjoy following these two en route with you

Received two kits yesterday from Wonderland Models. Looks a real beauty and with all the additional parts included ( short intakes and rear canopy) earlier versions could be made from this kit. Still NO heater tubing included, although should be easy to add.

So was planning to do some work yesterday, but decided in the end to do some organizing in the man cave. I got fed up of search for paints in the draws of my desk so I decided to clear some space and organize in numeral order. Also had to do some spring clearing in the cave as wife was a little annoyed with the mess. In the end I'm quite impressed with my effort on the paints.

DSC_2477_zpsh0cuiwap.jpg

But on the other hand, I think I need to organize the stash a little better, looks a mess still.

DSC_2478_zpsxinxdhsa.jpg

But I got some time to sit down today and do some work, firstly the hurricane being quite a simple kit I've already got the interior of the fuselage painted, closed and attach the tail and rear stabilizers. The cockpit is attached via the wings, which I found made this stage quite quickly. The plastic is areas is very think and even around the small parts, this made removing parts from the sprues quite difficult, and required some sanding to look right.

DSC_2473_zpslwf7bevn.jpg

Onto the Beaufighter, this really is a nice kit, but one area I think the kit falls down on is its interior, the heating tube is the major missing parts, plus some internal controls, but since the kit is small, once the fuselage is closed I would imagine you wouldn't be able to see much. But then looking at the Shackleton test shots, there is loads crammed inside. Anyway, just some interior green inside for now, once dried i'll pick out what detail there is in appropriate colours and on from there.

DSC_2474_zpsvw48qkdr.jpg

I'm also doing a WIP on a airfix swift at the moment too, and my aim is to get all 3 built by 11th September, Wish me luck

• Like 5

A suggestion for storage of your paint. Try useing egg boxes. Number each box 1, 2 , 3 etc and put your paints inside in numerical order with the lowest numbered paiants in box 1 etc. For smallet paint tins I use Ferrero Collection boxes with their clear lids to see what paints are inside. Also good for giving the contents to the other half to start with.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the new Beaufighter being built here and a big fan of this Hurricane tooling despite a few issues,why airfix don't get it back out

is a mystery they are selling for over a tenner second hand! I was lucky to get a desert version for six quid back in June an Airfix club boxing.

I purchased the Hurricane off ebay for nearly £14, they are going for high prices and I assume, like me peeps are buying them purely for the decal sheet of that white sea hurricane.

Are you serious??? as I have 16 in my stash, picked loads up at MZ for 3 each.

So, update time, Beaufighter interior is done,

DSC_2510_zpsfsueqcsj.jpg

DSC_2502_zpsg1pfpprf.jpg

DSC_2516_zpsnm8kx0qs.jpg

The interior is basic, so I picked out some detail in black and left the rest interior green, given the scale not much will be seen, I plan to build another some time in the future, so I might add an eduard interior to the next

Hurricane is coming on quicker, but had quite a bit of sanding in areas to get the fit right on some parts.

DSC_2497_zpsadrfupyu.jpg

I also tried to add a seat harness from masking tape, a poor effort, but i'm going to leave it in.

DSC_2505_zps9npvbatb.jpg

I'm not the best at painting 1/72 interior, seems to be my eyes, which at 32 i'm a little worried how bad they can get, my best work is on exteriors though.

Biggest issue I have is taking pictures, due to limited natural light in my new study and finding room to take pictures while the kids are home from school in the house is a mine field, as I don't want any model parts eaten (15 month old)

So best I can get is these updates

• Like 6

Time for an update, the Beaufighter is ready for some painting

DSC_2520_zpsjei64ink.jpg

DSC_2521_zpsxntlfxzh.jpg

DSC_2522_zpsaocxeqmh.jpg

She has gone together like a dream, had to use a little Mr Surfacer 500 in the areas around the wing to fuselage join and stabilizers to fuselage.

I was surprised with the tail assembly as I thought it look over engineered but it went together perfectly. I don't usually build 1/72 scale, but I think I have caught the bug.

Really enjoying this WIP

• Like 8

OK, so some work to update.

Painting on the main body of the hurricane is all done. I have the medium sea gray and the dark earth on the Beaufighter and just about to start masking for the dark green. Still some work to do on the Beaufighter, mainly the engines and undercarriage.

DSC_2526_zpsz9fefrg5.jpg

DSC_2527_zpsmu78hs35.jpg

DSC_2530_zpsjqjcnxhh.jpg

DSC_2531_zpslilz8noe.jpg

going very well at the moment

• Like 8

one this that is confusing me for the moment is airfix painting guide for the aircraft.

I've placed 2 big black arrow on this picture. First look at the side on view, then the view of the top of the aircraft, where is that dark earth meant to be?

beaufighter_zpsn77vuo9y.jpg

one this that is confusing me for the moment is airfix painting guild for the aircraft.

I've placed 2 big black arrow on this picture. First look at the side on view, then the view of the top of the aircraft, where is that dark earth meant to be?

beaufighter_zpsn77vuo9y.jpg

I'd ignore the instructions!

I bought my beaufighter today and it said 1/48 on the side of the box ( maybe a hint about future release or typo?)