Airfix Tiger Moth, 1:72

Good morning,

it's time to show the results of the first few hours working on the Tiger Moth. Not much to add, a nice little kit, fitting so far was good. First colour was interiour green (airbrushed), then Revell brick red for the dope, and later on aluminium for the framing. I should have filled the holes, though. And the knobs should be painted black, I will do it this evening.

1-cockpit_zpsvyztgwxq.jpg

2-cockpit2_zpsvo8t5hm7.jpg

Both dashboards have got the decals. It helps to trim the edge, so they fit well.

3-instrumente_zpsmex2i91z.jpg

Seatbelts were added, too. I used the famous "wine bottle foil", painted firstly sand, then the ends with leather brown. I made the holes with a needle, and glued them with CA to the seats. Looks nice, me thinks! ;)

4-sitze_zpsandft2gy.jpg

Alex

• Like 7

Welcome aboard! :) Impressive work Alex, especially those seat belts - a real work of art. I'll look forward to the development of this build. Your photographs are excellent and show the detail very clearly, superb!

Max

Thanks, folks! With the bottle tops, it's really easy, it was my first try too!

• With a small scissor (straight blade), I cut the foil into strips, each ca. 1.5mm wide. Length is not important, add about 3-4cm to make the handling easier.
  • Brush painted it with a sand colour (enamel)
  • Brush painted the last 4-5mm with leather brown
  • Over a piece of scrap wood, I made the holes with a needle. The harder you push, the bigger the hole gets, as the needle goes deeper into the wood. That's the hardest part, not because it's difficoult, but because my eyesight is not what it used to be! Still, use a scrap piece of foil, so you get used to the feeling.
  • Attach it to the seat with a small drop of CA (remove paint first), wait until it's cured, bend into place. If neccessary, use a tiny drop of CA to fix it to the seat. Use only very little CA! Parts are attached on the backside of the bulkheads and the sides of the seat, where there are invisible
  • With a sharp knife, cut away the part which is too long.

Have a go, it's really not that hard!

Alex

• 1 month later...

A bit behind schedule, aren't we?

I replaced the massive rudder activators

6-anlenkung2_zpsh6gy20xh.jpg

Then, a layer of Modelmaster RAF trainer yellow. Looks nice and bright!

7-gelb_zpsjsfmamnl.jpg

8-gelb2_zpskjakyfhp.jpg

Right now, I'm masking the yellow in order to get the first coats of the camo on the kit this weekend. May be a bit tight, but next week, I should have plenty of time. Hope I will finish in time, end of month is approaching!

Alex

• Like 1

Glad to see this is still on the cards Alex, after such a superb start it would be a shame to leave it gathering dust! The aileron (sorry, not rudder) bell cranks are a great improvement. Crack on old chap, plenty of time yet!! :)

Max

The brown parts are airbrushed. Model Master enamels, green will be Gunze Acrylics. I was today in my nearest model shop, but no Modelmaster and Humbrols anymore.

9-braun_zpsj5ydlrvv.jpg

Alex

Shadow camo is finished, the lower wings are a very little bit brighter. I added some 25% white, but the difference is hardly visible. What do the experts think, just for my next model - add more white, or is the difference really that sublte?

11-tarnung_zpsrx9wm7ib.jpg

Detail of the front part. I must say, I love this kit, it's fun to build (I guess this will change when the rigging starts)

12-detail_zpsmfdhl2ns.jpg

Alex

well, the top wings casts a shadow on the bottom one, so if both had the same colour, the lower wing would look darker. That's why it's called "shadow shading"...

Alex

I see your point, but no, it has to be lighter, because the shadow makes it darker anyway. It's not ment to appear darker, because the lower wing is in shadow of the top wing. I'm not trying to replicate the effect of the shadow "as it would shine in real life", it's the scheme itself that had a lighter colour.

Alex