RLM 78 who uses what? (and RLM65 for that matter)

Duncan B

Opening a new can of worms today with a question for Luftwaffe modellers. What paint brand do you use for RLM78?

I have various brands attempts at RLM78 but none of them seem to get close to the paint chips that I have for that colour (Merrick's and Eagle Editions).

I have the following versions of RLM78: Polyscale, Vallejo's Model Air, Mr Color, Mr Hobby, Xtracrylix, Hataki, AK Interactive. They are all either too purple, too dark or basically just wrong so what other recommendations do we have out there please?

Duncan B

I've carried out a little test with all the various Brands that I have and for once the Vallejo actually is about as close as any of my paints get but it is still too purple and too dark, not the bright, light blue of the colour chips. The Hataki paint looks quite close but also looks very watery and I'm not sure it'll actually cover anything (apparently a common complaint with this brand). Maybe there is a non RLM colour that someone uses that is actually a closer match than the ones I have? Humbrol Powder Blue for instance?

Duncan B

RLM

Model Master

Floquil

Mr.Color

Humbrol

Revell

Tamiya

WEM

Xtra
Color

Polly
Scale

Mr.
Hobby

Vallejo

Xtra
Crylix

Nominal

145'

ACLW17

X214

F505268’

H417

XA1214

Edited by pbhawkin
  • Like 1

Why not try mixing your own version to match the colour chip (using your favourite Mr Color paints of course)? Mixing your own colours is not that difficult, you just need a clean, empty pot and a few suitable base colours to work with.

• Like 3

I thought (was told?) that the Akan range was closest to RLM colours? I bought a set but have still yet to use them in anger.

• Like 1

Ronan, I'll have a look and see if I have XF23, cheers.

Nigel, the problem with mixing paints for me would be repeatability further on down the road. It would wind me up if I couldn't match it again later on but it is an option.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Before that I used in WEM colocoats I am convinced .

but last year use :

http://mrpaint.sk/eshop/farby/lietadla/Luftwaffe?product_id=119

and bodes well for the artefact in my collection (Bf-109F)

brought from Libya in the eighties.

P.k

• Like 1

Having sprayed Gunze's version of RLM65 I've found that it is actually a great match for RLM78, it's certainly wrong for 65 anyway! I wonder if they got their research papers or recipes mixed up?

So the search for a decent match to RLM65 is now underway.

Duncan B

I use MM almost exclusively. Humbrol is not my favorite paint, and I tossed out all my Tamiya paint except for the clear stuff. Oh..I still have two or three bottles of Floquil lacquer in Japanese colors.

• Like 1

As a mainly enamel user, I've got Model Master and Gunze Mr. Color renditions of RLM 78 in my stash. (WEM paints have been problematic to obtain here in the USA.) The MM is a very close match to, but just a tad darker than, the chip in the Merrick & Hitchcock Monogram Guide. The Mr. Color is also quite close, but a bit lighter. Neither paint is anywhere close to the 78 chip in the Eagle Editions reproduction of the Luftwaffe Farbtontafel 1938-45, which is not a greenish blue but rather a light purplish blue similar to RAF Azure Blue. I'd be interested in anyone's comments vis-a-vis the current thinking on those interpretations.

• Like 1

Duncan here is a chart I did with the common hobby paints available (to me) and the RLM paint chips from the Merrick book on Luftwaffe Camouflage:

http://www.petersplanes.com/RLM%20comparison%20chart2.jpg

RLM%20comparison%20chart2.jpg

and

http://www.petersplanes.com/RLM%20comparison%20chart1.jpg

RLM%20comparison%20chart1.jpg

You can judge for yourself what is closest or best for yourself.

Edited by pbhawkin
  • Like 2

Hi Peter,

Out of interest I don't recognise any of the paint codes for the samples in the WEM column although I certainly recognise a lot of the colours.

Are the 2 digit numbers just the ACLW (or ACLE) codes with the letters dropped?

Thanks again for your paint chart Peter, I have used it many times in conjunction with my various paint chips. as you graphically show the RLM 78 and RLM 65 colours interpretations cover quite a range of tones, even the paint chips disagree sometimes. I think that Mr Color/Hobby's RLM65 is too dark when sprayed with any depth onto a model but comparing it with the RLM78 chips I have it is actually a good match for that. Looking at my built up models painted in the Gunze paints I can see that the RLM65 isn't right.

I'll post a picture of the offending model compared to a paint chip later.

Duncan B

As promised, here are the results of my spraying of Mr Color RLM65. A closer match to Merrick's RLM78 I'd say. The photos were taken with my phone in natural lighting so the quality isn't the best but good enough to get the drift.

Firstly compare to the RLM65 chip, this is what it was supposed to come out like.

6E09F699-7135-4860-B9F6-8C2D0AA6808A_zps

and compared to the RLM78 chip

60D742B6-4F72-41DB-B50F-1570F423BFED_zps

So I think that I've answered my own original question about what to use for RLM78 but now have an issue with RLM65.

I've had to swap the colour scheme that I was going to finish this model off as but that isn't really an issue.

Duncan B

Duncan, you're basing your comparison apparently on only one reference -- Merrick/Hiroff (Classic 2004), but there's a lot of disagreement among the various sources. To say your RLM 65 is "wrong" is probably overstating it. Rather, it doesn't match one reference, but that reference itself doesn't match a number of other reputable sources. It's actually a good match for the 1998 Eagle Editions set of chips prepared from relic samples by Warnecke & Böhm, a producer of Luftwaffe paints during the war.

You might be interested in this link:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/rlm_comp2.shtml

It compares (using computer generated color samples) the chips found in Merrick & Hitchcock (1980), the Eagle Editions Luftwaffe Color Chart (1998), Merrick/Hiroff (2004) and Ullman (2008). The comparison is useful in showing qualitative variations, but not actual colors. One thing that leaps out at me (and to which I alluded in my post above) is the large variance of the Eagle Editions rendition of RLM 78 to the other three. It also shows that the Merrick/Hiroff rendition of RLM 65 is distinctly lighter/bluer (and less greenish) than any of the other three.

This thread is also worth checking out:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1272631435/Most+respected+Luftwaffe+RLM+paint-chip+reference-

In it, a ways down, Jerry Crandall of Eagle Editions describes how the Luftwaffe Color Chart was produced.

Edited by Seawinder
  • Like 1

And to add to your search Duncan here is another comparison chart:

http://www.rlm.at/cont/archiv01_e.htm

Or you could just order your paint from Mr Kiroff in Germany who is the one who made the colour chips for Merrick's book. His company makes the paint from the original company paint records by the manufacturer.

His company makes paint for a lot of the flying 1:1 Luftwaffe aircraft that are now flying.

http://www.kiroff.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=56&Itemid=61

Kirol Flieglack 1720 is the Model paint.

You can contact him here: Mr. Kiroff + 49- (0 ) -911-748066

Edited by pbhawkin
  • Like 1

Duncan, you're basing your comparison apparently on only one reference -- Merrick/Hiroff (Classic 2004), but there's a lot of disagreement among the various sources. To say your RLM 65 is "wrong" is probably overstating it. Rather, it doesn't match one reference, but that reference itself doesn't match a number of other reputable sources. It's actually a good match for the 1998 Eagle Editions set of chips prepared from relic samples by Warnecke & Böhm, a producer of Luftwaffe paints during the war.

You might be interested in this link:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/rlm_comp2.shtml

It compares (using computer generated color samples) the chips found in Merrick & Hitchcock (1980), the Eagle Editions Luftwaffe Color Chart (1998), Merrick/Hiroff (2004) and Ullman (2008). The comparison is useful in showing qualitative variations, but not actual colors. One thing that leaps out at me (and to which I alluded in my post above) is the large variance of the Eagle Editions rendition of RLM 78 to the other three. It also shows that the Merrick/Hiroff rendition of RLM 65 is distinctly lighter/bluer (and less greenish) than any of the other three.

This thread is also worth checking out:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1272631435/Most+respected+Luftwaffe+RLM+paint-chip+reference-

In it, a ways down, Jerry Crandall of Eagle Editions describes how the Luftwaffe Color Chart was produced.

The colour chart I used in my photo comparison was from the Merrick/Kirroff book but I also have the Eagle Editions chart too.

The links are very useful and the comments from Jerry Crandall and others including Lynn ( I presume Ritger?) highlight how difficult it is to be 100% sure about these 70 year old colours. One poster hit the nail on the head for me when he said that if it looks right then go with it.

Duncan B

• Like 1