Color of Matra type 155 rocket launcher pod (on Hawker Hunters)

TOPGUN-ROB

RAF Jaguars didn't carry Martels either. The Matra launchers were standard RAF kit at the time the Jaguar was being designed and prepared for service, which is why they crop up so such in the early material. They were less favoured by the time Jaguar entered service.

The black 2-seater in interesting though - that's fairly well into the type's career, I think?

Ah, it could well be this image that Im thinking of, the tandem bomb mount making me think Jaguar at a glance -

matra155_sticking_out.jpg

Is is really not a Jaguar? If it is, then a demo/press photo? I dont seem to be able to find the full image to be sure just whats what.

This is likely XW563, the second UK prototype. A picture of this aircraft with exactly the same load is at pages 3/4 of the more recent Aeroguide title on the Jaguar

I've seen other pictures of early prototypes with rocket launchers, however these were all publicity loads

RAF Jaguars didn't carry Martels either. The Matra launchers were standard RAF kit at the time the Jaguar was being designed and prepared for service, which is why they crop up so such in the early material. They were less favoured by the time Jaguar entered service.

The black 2-seater in interesting though - that's fairly well into the type's career, I think?

The French and Spaniards seemed to like them, for a bit at least.

Jaguar_3-XP_JFL.jpg

France on Jaguars and maybe Mirage F1, yes. Don't think that Spain ever had them on their Mirage F1. They had to wait for the AGM-88 HARMs on the F/A-18. Not sure if they had AGM-45 Shrike on the F-4E or not.

Didn't France use Martel ARMs on Libya / Chad back in the 1980's ?

Regards,

Gerard

Don't think that Spain ever had them on their Mirage F1.

AFAIK not, but they did on their Mirage IIIEE's.

Not sure if they had AGM-45 Shrike on the F-4E or not.

The EdlA only used the ®F-4C, not the 'E. These were not wired for Shrike.

Cheers,

Andre

Googling for "Jaguar International" got an interesting press/demo photo in regard to weapons load for the centreline.

1339646.jpg

And a Google for "XW563" (nice one Georgio) got me this which is almost the fuzzy black and white layout up above.

6785822340_e4013488fc_o.jpg

I realise these are demo/optomistic payloads and the International became a more potent machine than the RAFs Jaguars, but I like to see them and share them. Id never build a Jag with such a daft payload, no way, not me, thatd be mad, mad I tell you. ;)

The twin BL755 mounts in the first photo - is that the same as used by the Tornados?

And how would the twin Matra pods have been mounted in the second? A bodge up or via an existing mount from something like a Harrier perhaps?

Edited by RMP2

Googling for "Jaguar International" got an interesting press/demo photo in regard to weapons load for the centreline.

1339646.jpg

And a Google for "XW563" (nice one Georgio) got me this which is almost the fuzzy black and white layout up above.

6785822340_e4013488fc_o.jpg

I realise these are demo/optomistic payloads and the International became a more potent machine than the RAFs Jaguars, but I like to see them and share them. Id never build a Jag with such a daft payload, no way, not me, thatd be mad, mad I tell you. ;)

The twin BL755 mounts in the first photo - is that the same as used by the Tornados?

And how would the twin Matra pods have been mounted in the second? A bodge up or via an existing mount from something like a Harrier perhaps?

They wouldn't be the same twin stores as used on the tornado as the tornado used a different suspension system (MACE) more likely the Harrier type twin store. the twin 155 launcher just looks like mock up plate for display, certainly not any sort of twin store carrier.

Selwyn

037_zpscsj2does.jpg

Any good to you? (Draken at Newark)

That's a great picture. The pod is fitted with the heat shield and the heat shield fairing which makes the nose look slightly fatter than the pod body. compare it to this one https://milinme.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/lebanese-air-force-puma-gunship/ which does not have the heat shield and fairing fitted.

Selwyn