The Other Tims 1/72 Airfix Gnat - 74 'Aggressor' Sqn, RAF Alconbury +++Completed+++

Tim Moff

Its 1978. The RAF have completed the transfer of advanced Jet training from the Folland Gnat T1 to the new Hawk T1.

The Gnat had been the RAF's advanced jet trainer since 1962. The last Gnats in RAF service were being flown by the Royal Air Force AerobaticTeam, The Red Arrows, based at RAF Kemble.

Rolling forward to 1979 - the 'Reds' have transitioned to the Hawk T1, freeing up 12 jets, that have been lovingly maintained by the 'Blues'.

Concurrently the RAF had followed the USAF with interest whilst they developed their Dissimilar Air Combat Training (DACT) concept after heavy losses to new crew during the Vietnam war.

The program became operational in 1972 and the USAF decided to establish a squadron in Europe to support the USAFE.

527th Tactical Fighter Training and Aggressor Squadron was established and formed at RAF Alconbury, Cambridgeshire.

The unit utilised the Northrop F5E Tiger II. The aircraft was chosen due to its small airframe size and performance similarities to the Soviet MiG 21. They were painted in Eastern Block and Soviet style paint schemes to add to the realism.

The Squadron soon began to adopt Soviet tactics and doctrine and were used to engage USAFE aircraft in DACT.

The flight and ground crews were proud to be assigned the role and took on the rest of the USAFE with vigor, slowly, the pilots began to wear the red communist star on their helmets and the squadron started to think, act and fly Soviet Bloc!

The powers that be at the MoD recognised that the DACT programme was a success and a useful training tool.

The MoD and Pentagon agreed that the best way forward would be to combine resources and experiences.

The RAF headshed recognised the Gnat was ideal for the task at hand. It had served in the Fighter role for India and had in fact downed 9 Pakistani F86 Sabres over 2 conflicts in 1965 and 1971. The Canadair Sabre Mk6 was widely regarded as the best dogfighter of it era.

Number 74 Sqn of Battle of Britain fame had disbanded and handed over their Lightnings in 1971. I was decided to re-activate this historical squadron in 1979 and select the cream of the RAF operational aircrews to man the new RAF Aggressor squadron.

The squadron and its newly 'Soviet Bloc' painted ex Red Arrows Gnat T1's moved to RAF Alconbury to get up to speed, using the 527th experience in the role to assist.

The squadron successfully trained RAF aircrews in DACT, allowing frontline combat squadrons to fight an adversary versed in the likely enemies tactics.

By 1984, the extra G forces and stresses on the aircraft meant that the Gnat was retired. Having been used by the Fleet Air Arm prior to the Falkland campaign in 1982, they had served their purpose in training pilots to operate in real conflict, with the Harrier force suffering no air to air combat losses.

The role was handed over to the 527th who supported future RAF DACT training until they were disbanded in Sept 1990 after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Today the Aggressor role has be re-established in the USAF and many other allied counties due the the threat reappearing.

In the UK the RAF began the role again with 100Sqn, flying Hawk T1s, out of RAF Leeming and in 2013, 836 Naval Air Squadron of the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm also took up the role, utilising Hawk T1s out of RNAS Culdrose.

For this What If build, I will be using the Airfix 1/72 Starter pack Gnat T1 and various low Vis RAF decals. The paint job will reflect one of the USAF Aggressor schemes of the times.

20638777-7221-4544-B2D8-8730897AE014_zps

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 5

Hmmm...may be an option but the jet is being built circa 1979 - 1984, before the Digi cam/Splinter cam schemes...?

However, this is a WHIF so I can do what I like....just imagine, the RAF coming up with something imaginative, new and inspiring.......nah!! :banghead:

We will have to see - opinions anyone, Gnat in Splinter cam, or the Aggressor schemes of the 70s/80s?

The Gnat would make a grand job of simulating a MiG-15 or 17 so perhaps a scheme based on those machines? Still in service with some Eastern European air arms at the time from what I can recall.

I hadn't thought about the Digital scheme. My two favourites of the ones you posted are the first and the black, grey and white "Arctic" schemes. The gnat would look great in any of those though!

Re the colour scheme - to me, stuck in my humdrum existence, a truly successful WHIF is the one that makes the viewer have to think about the possibility or reality of it (the 'I know I saw a photo of that somewhere' effect), hence my vote would go to a period aggressor scheme, modified as required to fit in with what the RAF may actually have been facing in Europe, as opposed to the US versions of what they might fight. If it's not at least possible, it becomes Sci-Fi, not a WHIF - Space Battleship Hood, anyone?

But it's your model, do whatever you wish with it. :)

Lol a debate and a half. I think the 527th schemes were designed around what NATO would meet in any European conflict, as the were the USAFE squadron. I too like the black grey and white schemes....choices, choices😂

Did you ever see the A-4E/F Skyhawk Topgun from Fujimi with the Mig painted on the A-4 HERE

• Like 1

Which ever scheme you opt for you can assume that air and ground crew on 74 Sqn would of found a way to incorporate the black tail.

Look forward to seeing where your going on this one.

That's a good point - they started the black tails with the Lightning and bought it in again when they reformed for the F4J UK?

May be difficult to incorporate in a true aggressor paint job?

Or maybe the fin tip?

The MiG 17 silhouette is growing on me too!

Have me some decals for a 1/72 MiG 25, from Begemot, (Anyone used before? Advice welcomed!), that will provide Bort Numbers, Soviet star and maybe some teeth (on a Gnat?!).

Scheme wise, I am leaning to the Arctic Flanker scheme, which may allow a me to incorporate a 74 Sqn Black tail.....have to look through my decals for a 74 Sqn Tigers Head!

48C6D6D7-2E42-4A01-9148-A14502927A85_zps

86-0305.jpg?m=1371900489

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats the Tornado Tribute STGB complete, and very enjoyable it was too.

So got the Gnat out today, started on some detail/interior painting etc.

First thing to strike me was just how small this lil beastie is!

Will probably use the clever putty to help with the cam, rather than blue tac and masking tape.

Got the wing assembly sorted:

04BAB911-C72D-4452-B642-1FBCB71DE111_zps

And got the pilot, Sqn Leader 'Waspie' Nest painted, just need to touch up and wash (just read that again could sound bad!! :banghead: )

1EE52F2D-8533-4DEE-B4E5-BC4E09CEA609_zps

And some other painting on the sprue:

5B382E84-E457-410D-A529-63D83D32CDD3_zps

7B41F566-404F-4A54-979F-6A9FCC101447_zps

Next I will get the pit sorted and decals in and maybe try to get all the inner sub assembly gumf done.

Not much to show, but a start!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Nice to see this one getting going :) don't know if you know already, but people who've done this kit recommend fitting the air intakes before the cockpit to get a better fit. I fell foul of this on my Red Arrows version.

Thanks - didn't know that, but as luck would have it I tend to fit all the pieces while on the prues where possible/practical, so I did, just can't see on the pics.

They were a bit of a pain to get in!

• Like 1

Bit of work over the weekend, including an epic battle to get the pit in with the IP's, and wings on - at the loss of the VHF Ae on the lower fuselage! This will need to replaced later or removed for the Aggressor role!! :oops:

D1E45E54-5C3E-491F-AF28-9537BCE387B4_zps

C690BDFA-F816-4596-BBD6-93B2089CF33F_zps

8ABFDFE4-16FB-42D8-9C9C-736D7E1C168A_zps

Try as I did I couldnt force both front and rears ends to fit perfectly.

Some filler at the joint, and by the intakes will be needed.

Hard to do too much on the seams as there are a lot of lumps and bumps around!

Hopefully get the main undercarriage doors on soon and get the filling done.

Edit - looking at the Bonedome my splodge of Red looks nothing like a Soviet Star on the port side - however the starboard sorta looks ok - I may repaint....ps its not blood!!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

Using the odd hour here and there, most of the build is done, save a few lil antennas and the pitot or whatever it is at the front!

Some filler in, mainly the wing join, undercarriage doors and intakes.

Next up some primer and the arctic scheme will begin!

4BD3AED7-3AAF-4D97-903C-C64F420D4EFF_zps

31341CDC-BFC4-4F5B-8C93-5082E402B1A4_zps

0F0A8F78-0B50-45A6-8EE9-2CA3EB6B0CAA_zps

• Like 4