Tamiya Honda NSR500 1984

Thanks all, I'm glad you are all here keeping an eye on things, dont be afraid to question anything I am doing as it will only help me become a better modeller

Bike modelling at it's best - brilliant work.

Who does the jig?

The jig is made by my friend Marcomoto, he is a member on a few forums but not sure if he is here. If you want his details lemme know and I will PM them over to you

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, just a quick update.

I havent gone missing! I've just had some family over from the UK and coupled with the festive holidays I've had absolutely 0 bench time. I have had a few of my family members fly out earlier today but I still have some here until February, in the meantime I should hopefully get a little benchtime to be able to make some more progress on this build!

Thanks for watching!

Yes I forgot to say to everyone Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

More progress finally!!

I finished the exhaust cans and attached the exhaust assemblies to the frame.

I also installed the radiator, the fitment on the radiator is pretty poor and in hindsight I should have cut all the various radiator pipes and connected them independently of the engine and the radiator itself. I had a large gap with one of the radiator hoses and I ended up fashioning a small piece of tube plastic to "fill in" the gap between the hose and the radiator

Anyways on with the pictures!

DSC049301.jpg

DSC049291.jpg

DSC049281.jpg

DSC049241.jpg

DSC049251.jpg

DSC04926.jpg

Next up will be the steering damper and front forks assembly, I am getting close to the end on this build and cant wait to finish it!

• Like 2

That looks incredible. I am currently building a Tamiya VFR750 1/12. Would be able to tell me your process for the wash on the swing arm and frame. I have painted with Tamiya Acrylics and an airbrush. I read a lot of mixed reviews online on how to do it, but from what I can see I should seal the paint with a clear coat (recommendations welcome), and then apply an enamel based wash over that?

• Like 1

That is looking absolutely stunning. So clean. Love the hose clips and plugs, how do you actually make them and how come I see absolutely no glue... anywhere?

Also can I ask about the chain, did you actually build it or do you buy them this way?

Sorry, new to this, have to ask these questions :)

• Like 1

This is ridiculous!!

Those pictures could well be of a proper, real world, race bay. Not a bike fan but enjoying this build immensely!

Thanks F1 Insider :) Hopefully after this build is done you might become a model bike fan!!

That looks incredible. I am currently building a Tamiya VFR750 1/12. Would be able to tell me your process for the wash on the swing arm and frame. I have painted with Tamiya Acrylics and an airbrush. I read a lot of mixed reviews online on how to do it, but from what I can see I should seal the paint with a clear coat (recommendations welcome), and then apply an enamel based wash over that?

Thanks akramatt! the VFR750 is a beautiful bike, I'm sure you will enjoy building it! my process for washes is a little different from what you have described mainyl because I use lacquer paints rather than acrylics. So my process is to do an acrylic wash (1 part acrylic semigloss black, 1 part dishwater soap, and 10 parts water) directly on top of the lacquer painted part, I try to stay away from using any clears on parts because it takes away the natural sheen that I need for the part to look authentic.

With the method you described, you are correct. As for clearcoats? its hard to say but in my experience I've found 2K clear is a great robust clearcoat to use and as far as I know enamels will not damage or "burn through" the clearcoat and ruin the finish.

I hope this helps! I am sure that some others going through this WIP might be able to chime in and offer advice for washes too

Upto your usual incredible standards, amazing work, I'm gobsmacked.

Thanks KP, always appreciate your positive comments mate :)

Superb finish. Very realistic

Keith

Thanks Keith!

Gee Whizz !! that's amazing :yikes:

BillyD

Thanks BillyD!

That is looking absolutely stunning. So clean. Love the hose clips and plugs, how do you actually make them and how come I see absolutely no glue... anywhere?

Also can I ask about the chain, did you actually build it or do you buy them this way?

Sorry, new to this, have to ask these questions :)

Thanks Borez, No worries about the questions! Ask as much as you can as I'm sure it will help others too!

I usually make 2 different type of hose clips, the easier type is simply cutting thin strips of Bare Metal Foil (Aluminum finish) and wrapping it around the hose area that I want to clip to go. The second type is a little more tricky but gives a greater effect than the BMF method. I use a very thin gauge wire (depending on application it will be something like 0.25mm upto 0.40mm) and wrap it around the pipe twice (keeping tension on the wire), the area of the pipe which will not be seen is where I cross over the wires and tie them up. After that I simply use a PE bolt to depict the screw that used to tighten the clamp. Because of the tension that was placed on the wire there is no need for glue, just make sure when you tie them up you keep then tension through it all.

As for the chain, I built it using a Top Studio chain set. Its pretty time consuming and also can be tricky the first few times you build it but the effect afterwards makes it all worth it!

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks, you must have the patients of a saint and the hands of a surgeon my friend. :)

Oh and what's a PE bolt?

PE bolt is basically the metal miniature bolts you can get

Like this:

index.jpg

• Like 1

PE bolt is basically the metal miniature bolts you can get

Like this:

index.jpg

Nope, sorry those examples are machined eg.lathe turned. PE bolts are just the bolt heads etched out of flat metal plate! ;-)

Beautiful job you're doing Imster!

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Nope, sorry those examples are machined eg.lathe turned. PE bolts are just the bolt heads etched out of flat metal plate! ;-)

Beautiful job you're doing Imster!

Thanks Vontrips! and yes you are spot on mate, they are machined not PE (I think the paint fumes are getting to me!)

• Like 1

A very quick update!

I am back on the bench, albeit not as much as before the holidays because I still have family over visiting us.

I managed to get the steering damper completed. I had the Top Studio damper detail set, but after inspection, the configuration, length etc are all wrong so I assume that the steering damper kit is for a different year NSR500 (Top Studio didnt specify what year NSR500 the kit is for). I did use the metal rod that was in the Top Studio set though so not all my money was wasted!

DSC05281.jpg

Next parts to tackle will be either the front forks or the controls and instruments. Both will be pretty intensive as there will be a fair amount of added details.

Thanks and C&C welcome icon_razz.gif

• Like 1

I attached the rear swingarm to the chassis without any dramas :)

DSC052971.jpg

DSC052951.jpg

Anyone who is eagle eyed might have noticed the rearsets missing on the previous pics. This is because I had lots of clearance issues with the rearsets pushing into the swingarm and kinda flaying out so I made some adaptors to create more clearance, I think i got the measurements spot on because as you can see from this picture the clearance looks perfect!

DSC052921.jpg

I also plumbed the rear brake cable, Its a silver braided cable with a plastic spiral sheath and it will be attached to the bar that runs underneath the swingarm

DSC052861.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Oh nice!

Small heads-up imster! Not sure if you got my message

elsewhere, the cable tensioners will conflict with the front

fairing on this model, unless you rotate the mount forward

putting one tensioner above, and one below the brake lever

as seen on the real machine... Watching as always

Marco

• Like 1

Oh nice!

Small heads-up imster! Not sure if you got my message

elsewhere, the cable tensioners will conflict with the front

fairing on this model, unless you rotate the mount forward

putting one tensioner above, and one below the brake lever

as seen on the real machine... Watching as always

Marco

Marco! Many thanks for the advice bud :)