Tamiya Honda NSR500 1984

Looking great Imster, coming together very well indeed. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice Jig you got there.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, I have a good mate who is buddy building this kit with me on another forum he is the one who makes these jigs and I find them invaluable when bike building especially in the current case as the frame has been painted with alclad polishing aluminum which is relatively fragile so the less touching the better on this one.

A quick little update

After trying to put the decals on the rear cowling I have decided to paint the blue sections rather than carrying on with the decals. The quality of these decals leaves a lot to be desired, and due to the compound curves and angles as soon as you begin working the decals they begin to fold and tear icon_sad.gif

IMG_7685.jpg

On a more positive note I have made some refinements to the rear swingarm, I wrapped the suspension hydraulic line and painted the top of the suspension strut which is more in line of what the 1:1 version looks like

IMG_7686.jpg

I am busy working on the engine and making a few modifications as well maybe next update will have it all completed.

Sorry about the poor iPhone pics :(

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Feels like ages since I've posted an update! I've been busy building but I decided to make my life difficult by adding lots of extras and scratchbuilding a few bits too.

So up to now I have redone the cowlings (with blue painted rather than decals), radiator is completed, engine is finally completed as well!

Here is a quick pic of the main part of the cowling (I havent painted the inside yet of the cowling), I shall post a few more of the rest of the cowling parts when I get a chance to take some more photos

DSC04512.jpg

Here is the radiator done, I shaped the plastic area that attaches to the frame as on the 1:1 bike it has round bolts like the PE ones I have attached, if you dont modify this part then you will not be able to install the round PE parts. I also added plumbing near the radiator cap, apparently this tube runs up to the front section of the cowling just to the right front of the instrument panel, I wont be displaying this with the cowling on so this tube will hang and look odd lol

DSC04508.jpg

And finally the engine is complete! This is one heck of an engine with tonnes of wiring and a fair bit of additional details added. From all my reference pics I have seen the area where the intakes are (where the grill bit is) is different to what Tamiya supplies in the kit, in fact even on the detail pics sheet that comes with the kit it shows a different part to what they supplied. So I decided to scratchbuild the correct part, overall I think it came out ok but it could have been better (as is always the case with me!). In addition to the pipework I also added the reddish lines that are not included with the kit, the white plugs look a little overscale but if I went any smaller I wouldnt have been able to accurately drill them for the pipe work. I achieved the reddish line by using MFH 1/12 tube (brown one) and spraying it with alclad hot metal red and hot metal sepia (roughly 3 red to 1 sepia), I also used the same tube painted semi-gloss black for the spark plugs as they are more to scale that what is supplied by Tamiya.

If anyone knows where I can find tubing like MFH 1/12 tube (brown) in black colour please tell me! Its such a pain having to paint the tube and having to be extra careful not to handle it too much otherwise the paint can flake off. So please if anyone knows then please tell me :)

So without further delays here are the engine pics

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04531.jpg

DSC04528.jpg

DSC04527.jpg

Up until now it has been pretty annoying that I've been doing so much work but nothing is really coming together but now that the engine is complete the build should speed up somewhat, as you can see there are lots of sub assemblies completed so now its just a matter of joining them all up!

DSC045331.jpg

So next update should show the engine installed into the frame!

• Like 6

WOW! That's looking awesome mate!

In regards to the tubing, the stuff you get for the 1/24-1/20 cars is 0.4mm so i'm assuming that for the 1/12 it'll be about 0.8mm in diameter. Maybe even have a look at this and see how it goes http://www.jaycar.com.au/Wire%2C-Cable-%26-Accessories/Cable-Accessories/Heatshrink-%26-Accessories/1-5mm-Black-Heatshrink-Tubing/p/WH5530

Draz

Very nice mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Love the detailing around the engine.

On the search for tubing, ever thought about the fine wiring you can buy from electronic spares suppliers?

Simon.

Hey Simon thanks for the nice comments :)

I have tonnes of wiring (the stuff which you bend into shape), what I am after is a softwall hollow tube (which is roughly 0.4mm inner diameter) the kind that naturally droops rather than having to shape it yourself

WOW! That's looking awesome mate!

In regards to the tubing, the stuff you get for the 1/24-1/20 cars is 0.4mm so i'm assuming that for the 1/12 it'll be about 0.8mm in diameter. Maybe even have a look at this and see how it goes http://www.jaycar.com.au/Wire%2C-Cable-%26-Accessories/Cable-Accessories/Heatshrink-%26-Accessories/1-5mm-Black-Heatshrink-Tubing/p/WH5530

Draz

Hey Draz thanks mate :)

I also have lots of heathshrink but the beauty of the MFH tube is that it naturally takes shape and doesnt have hard walls like heatshrink does.

Its annoying because MFH make the exact tube I need but in brown colour, the smaller diameter tube (0.4mm OD and 0.2mm ID) is made in brown, clear and black. All they have to do is follow that same rule for the larger diameter (MFH you listening??)

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys

Fair enough, I've never really worked with shrink tubes myself so I'm not sure how they would work, just threw it out there as a suggestion. I cant find anything that matches what you're after but I'll look around a bit more and let you know if I find anything.

Draz

• Like 1

http://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-cars-motorcycles-detail-up-parts-the-parts-box-tpb-1236

Try that mate, I'm not sure if its thick enough but worth a look

Draz

Oh my god man!! Thanks heaps Draz, the funniest thing is I pretty much browse BNA's website everyday lol.

I think those tubes you just linked wil be perfect!

Beautiful, beautiful work.

Love the cleanness of the engine, chassis and frame.

Well - all of it actually.

If I can come close with my F1 models.....

Thanks Caterham! I am very confident you will smash your Williams out of the park!

So today I managed to install the engine with thankfully minimal breakages!!

I also test fitted the rear swingarm to check clearance for the chain and the line length of the brake cable to the rear caliper, all seems ok with both :)

DSC04542.jpg

Close up of the same pic

DSC045421.jpg

I am a little gutted that the clutch cable work I did is pretty much hidden away but atleast I have a few pics showing it in all its glory lol!

The "boring" side of this bike

DSC04543.jpg

The interesting side of this bike

DSC04541.jpg

All lines up perfect so far!

DSC04544.jpg

Super close up showing the detail work completed, all Tamiya kit screws will be covered, and the white brake line ties will be fixed up as they are there temporarily at the moment

DSC0454212.jpg

Next up will be the exhausts, probably the most critical part of this kit as this is the bit which everyone notices, wish me luck on it!

• Like 3

Fantastic stuff Imster.

It is sometimes annoying when you spend time detailing something, only to find that it is hidden/partially hidden...

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Simon.

Thanks fella, and yes very annoying!

The attention to detail so far is fantastic. Great to see how you do the photo etch parts, which are something I shy away from.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Rich! PE are very easy to work with, I suggest to try it one day all you need is sprue cutters, a diamond file and super glue and lots of patience :)

• Like 1

Damn, that's excellent work. I haven't built a bike kit for probably 20 years but you're making me get to the point where next time I visit my local modelshop instead of going straight ahead to the aircraft kits I'll turn left to the bikes!

• Like 1

Damn, that's excellent work. I haven't built a bike kit for probably 20 years but you're making me get to the point where next time I visit my local modelshop instead of going straight ahead to the aircraft kits I'll turn left to the bikes!

Bikes are great fun, you should do it, the new kits like the Ducati Panigale are heaps of fun to build and all the parts go together very crisply

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, I have some family over visiting from the UK so my building time has been somewhat limited.

I managed to complete the exhaust, I am very pleased with how they came out! Overall it was about an hour of painting with various subtle shades to recreate the different metal tints on the 1:1 version, I was erring towards being subtle with it as I didnt want it to look patchy. I decided to also make the side facing out on both exhausts more copper/bronze and the interior darker and with light shades of red, yellow and violet. Before painting I added weld lines near where the exhaust will eventually attach itself to the frame. I also had to add some more plastic to the end where the exhaust silencers meet because when I mocked it all up there were gaps there. Exhaust springs were added after the paint work was done, I chose to do it this way rather than painting after putting them on because I wanted to have them stand out to a certain extent, I also added some tinting to it to take the edge off the silver.

Inner side of the exhaust (the paint on the right hand side one looks chipped, it was actually me testing something and that part will not be seen as it sits at the bottom facing the engine):

DSC04554.jpg

Outer side of the exhaust:

DSC04557.jpg

I'll try to stick up a few pics of how the exhausts look once I have the cans installed and on the frame too as the cans are 90% complete

Thanks for looking!

• Like 7

Thanks guys

Heres a quick photo to show the reference as it may look like I havent really captured how an exhaust should look like and to be honest I have rarely seen a motorcycle exhaust in these colour tones

111666753_org.v1439440889.jpg

• Like 2