I bought an old copy of Model Art No.22 last week (pictures below), mainly as it has plans for converting Japanese merchant ships to seaplane carriers of WW2. It wasn't cheap but I would like to get more of these; however, I noticed other copies only had details of Japanese aircraft or warships.

Does anyone on this forum know:
1. which other copy numbers had merchant ship conversion plans?
2. is there a source in the UK/EU where I could get other copies at a reasonable price?

cheers

Mike

Kimikawa_Maru_Seaplane_Carrier2_zpsracmp

Kimikawa_Maru_Seaplane_Carrier1_zps1kjml

Hi Mike,

Any copies that have articles with plans on merchant ships (Maru's) that were converted for wartime use please; similar to that in my post. I appreciate this, as otherwise I could end up buying copies that do not have the right information for what I want to do.

cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've had a chance to look at my Model Art magazines. I've got no 22 as well but I've found another one that maybe of interest to you. It's no 18, which looks at the Aircraft Carriers that were made by converting merchant ships - Junyo, Hiyo, Taiyo, Chuyo, Unyo, Shinyo and Kaiyo.

thanks

Mike

Kits are already available of the ones you show in plan in your posting eg Kamikawa Maru - check Fujimi (which are very nice if a little short) and also more recently Aosima. If you are interested in Japanese merchants, not just the seaplane carriers, see this site http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/modellist.htm

He has published two books on the subject which I have - if you're interested I'll pass you the titles.

Ok, I've had a chance to look at my Model Art magazines. I've got no 22 as well but I've found another one that maybe of interest to you. It's no 18, which looks at the Aircraft Carriers that were made by converting merchant ships - Junyo, Hiyo, Taiyo, Chuyo, Unyo, Shinyo and Kaiyo.

thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll check the shows and venues which may sell those.

Kits are already available of the ones you show in plan in your posting eg Kamikawa Maru - check Fujimi (which are very nice if a little short) and also more recently Aosima. If you are interested in Japanese merchants, not just the seaplane carriers, see this site http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/modellist.htm

He has published two books on the subject which I have - if you're interested I'll pass you the titles.

Thanks Graham, however I already have Ishiwage's books; I did help him a few years ago with details for the Yasukawa Maru ex-Silvercypress, which he didn't have knowledge of at the time.

I don't work to 1:700 scale very much, I mainly use stuff in that scale to get measurements in order to scratchbuild in other scales, such as 1:1200 and 1:350 and hence the need for plans in publications.

Thanks again

Mike