BIG Mosquito Comparisons Tamiya & Airfix Anyone seen both?

JohnT

I like my Mossies and have the 1/24 Airfix one from first time around and also some Paragon stuff for it but its not started yet. I also have the 1/32 HK release.

I can't really justify the 1/32 Tamiya version as well but was wondering if anyone had seen both the Airfix and the Tamiya models and is there anything to learn from Tamiya that can be applied to an Airfix build? I was thinking about something I heard that everyone until Tamiya had missed the round wooden discs inside the airframe used for attaching equipment

Out of interest what is the view as to the comparative merits between the two without getting into a "scale" argument. I assume that Tamiya is probably the better made kit of the two?

I'll be able to tell you tomorrow, as mine hopefully arrives then, the Airfix Mossie is brilliant, but I expect the Tamiya to be superior, but the Airfix one has been out for

7 years, and it still holds up well.

But i'll also compare it to the big Airfix tiffie which I expect will run it close....

I may even get the glue and paints out......

• Like 1

Hi John

I am a member of LSP and have a build of the big Airfix kit going over there. I helped Tamiya with their new 32nd kit and so I am very familiar with them both, you will see the changes/improvements I am making.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=33344

It may be of some help to you. However I am a bit of a rivet counter and you may not want to go as far with it as I am....I am OCD I think...Lol. In all reality the Airfix kit looks great built up straight out of the box.

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 3

I know you said you can't justify the Tamiya version but take a wander over to Hyperscale this morning and watch Brett Greens video review of the Tamiya kit. Stunning. I'm absolutely determined to finish my 1/48th stash before I start buying 1/32 or larger but I could well be swayed......

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack the thread but just wanted to say hi Anthony and thanks for the link.

I've just registered with LSP and thoroughly enjoying your incredible work!

It'll be a while before the Tamiya kit gets to my local shop here in France, but they already know to put one by for me. :)

I know you said you can't justify the Tamiya version but take a wander over to Hyperscale this morning and watch Brett Greens video review of the Tamiya kit. Stunning. I'm absolutely determined to finish my 1/48th stash before I start buying 1/32 or larger but I could well be swayed......

Oh get behind me Satan :devil:

Not listening not listening not listening

Hyperscale? video you say?? :hmmm: Oh bottom

Dont blame me if Mrs T calls you up very irate

• Like 1

Hiya Mark

Thanks mate, I hope you pick up some pointers along the way with me. Feel free to ask away on questions over there and I will do my best to answer them, same with you John.

You will LOVE the Tamiya kit, they did an amazing job on it!

Cheers

Anthony

John, don't fight it mate......feel the force...Listen to Dave, he seems to be the voice of reason... :hypnotised:

Ok, its getting late here and I have just put a bunch of Archer rivets around the blade openings of my spinner so am cross eyed and not making sense!

Cheers all

Anthony

• Like 1

John. You have to get the Tamiya Mossie, no arguments. :winkgrin: I've got the HK kit and two 1/24 Mossies, so you've got no excuse mate. :D

John, don't fight it mate......feel the force...Listen to Dave, he seems to be the voice of reason... :hypnotised:

Ok, its getting late here and I have just put a bunch of Archer rivets around the blade openings of my spinner so am cross eyed and not making sense!

Cheers all

Anthony

Join Britmodeller they said

Friendly bunch of people they said

Will give you lots of good advice they said

Never said they would tempt you into poverty buying Mosquitos though..... :D

When it arrives and I get my marching orders from MrsT I am coming to stay with you

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@ John et al.

This has nothing to do with Mosquitos! (But it may be of some use!)

I have clear orders NOT TO BUY ANY MORE "BOXES OF PLASTIC!"

So here is what I do, when I order something, obviously (due to my excitement) my other half knows about it soon enough, to clear any "tension" I simply pay her the amount I spent and say, "go shopping!"

Yes it's more expensive, but it clears the air AND you get a free afternoon to boot, IT REALLY WORKS!

;)

All the best, J.

• Like 2