1/48 Italeri/Testor GAF Phantom II (Completed 30 Sep 2015)

I have started the Testor Phantom to represent one I photographed from my office window circa early 1990s. I am unable to read the full serial number so the kit decals will have to do.

scan0020_zpsyjsggsws.jpg

Lou

Edited by Lastvautour
  • Like 4

The cockpit is stock from the box. The kits decals went on great. The seats require some belts and attachment of the ejection handles. Some pushing and prying had to used to align the fuselage sides but other than that things are going well. I used Gorilla/Tamiya glue and Model master/Tamiya paints.

1-48%20Phantom%20001_zpskcnownp2.jpg

Reports are that this kit lacks a lot in detail and accuracy, but for an average modeler like me it makes a nice project. I have been looking for details on the paint scheme and have not been able to confirm if the kit direction are correct. I found a picture of 38-24 that carries the same scheme as the above picture so that may be the serial number of my subject.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:McDonnell_Douglas_F-4F_Phantom_II,_Germany_-_Air_Force_AN1605615.jpg

Lou

• Like 2

I'm excited to see this one come together Lou! It's the one Luftwaffe Phantom scheme I've never built & the dayglo panels really make this particular one stand-out--great choice!

Just curious where the photo was taken? I'd say it looks a bit like Eielson, but then again, every base that far north looks about that way!

Cheers,

A. C.

Very interested to see how you get on with the Italeri / Testor 1/48th kit, I tried one a few years ago and it ended up being scrapped. I still have an F-4E, F-4S, and RF-4C in the stash and need that bit of motivation to try again. Looking good so far...

Michael

The major fuselage components are attached, puttied and primed with Krylon spray can. Wet tissues were placed in the intakes and nose gear well. The cockpit was stuffed with dry tissue to avoid problems with the instrument panel decals.

Lou

1-48%20Phantom%20003_zpslrcj51uv.jpg

• Like 3

The kit instructions indicate Sparrow missle to have white bodies, black radomes and gunmetal forward fins. My on line searches cannot find any black radomes and all modern bodies are grey with gunmetal fins. Clarification is sought!

Lou

Yellow has been applied to the tail. The photo shows the yellow a bit brighter than the naked eye.

1-48%20Phantom%20004_zpstblz9hwa.jpg

For the very first time I will try to get that scale effect I keep reading about by adding 20% white to the paint. A question arises. Should I add the white to light colours like gull gray and light ghost grey?

Lou

• Like 2

The kit instructions indicate Sparrow missle to have white bodies, black radomes and gunmetal forward fins. My on line searches cannot find any black radomes and all modern bodies are grey with gunmetal fins. Clarification is sought!

Lou

If you're doing a Luftwaffe Phantom, you can ignore the Sparrows. They were not in their inventory.

• 3 weeks later...

Following kit instructions for the paint did not give very good results as seen in the first photo.

F-4F%20Paint%20001_zps5epuecej.jpg

A second attempt using Mk I eyeball was somewhat better(personal opinion)

F-4F%20Paint%20002_zps5cqm20sm.jpg

Once the remaining paint is completed and decal added. it will fit nicely in a dark corner of my collection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The project was completed with little difficulty. Parts match was fairly good and decals went on well. The most important feature of the model was the enjoyment of making it.

Lou

F-4F%20GAF%20001_zpsjttqbn0r.jpg

PS more photos at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987234-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4-phantoms/

• Like 1