Revell Mercury/Atlas

Eric Mc

Resin is just a different medium to polystyrene plastic so some modifications to your normal techniques are needed. For instance, polystyrene cement won't work on resin and you need other types of adhesives, such as cyanoacrylates (super glues) or epoxy glues. Resin can be harmful to one's health as well, especially if cutting with a saw or sanding although wearing a dust mask or cutting and sawing under water solves that problem.

Other than that, putting resin kits together is fairly straightforward.

Because resin is a denser material than polystyrene plastic, resin kits, for their size, are heavier than a similar plastic kit. I built this last year. The Soyuz is resin so even though it's smaller than the Apollo spacecraft, it's about three times heavier and caused balance issues which needed to be sorted.

Apollo-Soyuz

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

It depends how new to modelling you are. If you are very new I would suggest you get a few short run IM styrene kits under belt first as they will give you the basic skills to takle a resin kit. Resin kits have come on a quantum leap in the last decade or so, there are a number of resin kits that are far superior to styrene kits but they tend to come with a price tag.

For your first resin kit I would suggest you choose a good/decent quality one and subject matter that is not kitted elsewhere, the later will keep your mojo going. All you really need is a basic modellers tool kit, Milliput, CA glue and a wide variety of wet & dry and make sure you wash the part well before one starts the build and test fit twice and glue once.

There is nothing to be afraid of and you'll get a range of models in your collection you culd have only once dreamed of!

Thomo.

Thanks Thomo

I haven't made a kit model in nearly 50 years but I was a high end cabinet maker for a large chunk of my working life so I have good skills with small fiddley bits so I should manage the basics but lots to learn but that's where you guys and the forum come in :yes:

10 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Resin is just a different medium to polystyrene plastic so some modifications to your normal techniques are needed. For instance, polystyrene cement won't work on resin and you need other types of adhesives, such as cyanoacrylates (super glues) or epoxy glues. Resin can be harmful to one's health as well, especially if cutting with a saw or sanding although wearing a dust mask or cutting and sawing under water solves that problem.

Other than that, putting resin kits together is fairly straightforward.

Because resin is a denser material than polystyrene plastic, resin kits, for their size, are heavier than a similar plastic kit. I built this last year. The Soyuz is resin so even though it's smaller than the Apollo spacecraft, it's about three times heavier and caused balance issues which needed to be sorted.

Apollo-Soyuz

Thanks Eric, I have a couple of resin parts I bought from Martins Models for the Saturn V kit I'm getting for Christmas, yes they are quite heavy. I have a lot of extraction available in my workshops so I'll be sure to use that when crating dust with it

17 minutes ago, colinlp said:

Thanks Thomo

I haven't made a kit model in nearly 50 years but I was a high end cabinet maker for a large chunk of my working life so I have good skills with small fiddley bits so I should manage the basics but lots to learn but that's where you guys and the forum come in :yes:

Good man, you'll be fine.

I have Nostalgic Plastics 1/144 C-133 Cargomaster and New Ware 1/144 Thor missile combo to make yet. That  is known as resin heaven.

Thomo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1