Badger Stynylrez Primer - thoughts, reviews, alternatives

Homerlovesbeer

Last time I looked on a bottle of Windolene as it's known here, there was no ammonia mentioned. That was a while ago though. I've got a bottle of 5% ammonia in case I have need of it, or if I want to trick a friend by getting them to smell it :wicked:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When we were at the supermaket here in Blaxland yesterday evening for some cleaning items, I had a good look at the Windex offerings. Apart from a number of bottle sizes and configurations, there was a number of types, to whit: one with added "Mr Muscle" (?), one expliciltly without ammonia, and a third which I can only assume contains ammonia - certainly by the smell of it at any rate. There was no mention of ammonia (or quaternery ammonium salts) on the label anywhere, bit I'm pretty certain that by the crinkling and the wrinkling of my overly large beak that it has ammonia in it.

I bought a 500 ml bottle of the stuff that had no mention of "no ammonia".

Well, I've got one of the BM-inhabitant-recommended cleaners - now I just have to get the Stynylrez itself...

Cheers,

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought a small bottle of the Ultimate version of the primer to try out of curiosity, will report back on how I get on with it when I get a chance to try it. Will be interested to see how it copes with lacquer based acrylics.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I've bought a small bottle of the Ultimate version of the primer to try out of curiosity, will report back on how I get on with it when I get a chance to try it. Will be interested to see how it copes with lacquer based acrylics.

Duncan B

Well it had no problems for me on the Dornier recently - that was primed with Ultimate primer, then Gunze / Tamiya acrylics thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner over the top and was fine. It even sands !

• Like 2

The Ultimate primers and the Badger primers are the same product just in a different bottle

That is correct, just repackaged but easier to get hold of in the UK at the moment.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I have yet to use mine, needed a heavy needle assembly for my Badger 350 just for it. I am impatience to use it but l been holding myself back until l am ready

:lol: You should... BTW it'll spray through a 0.2mm needle too, so if you haven't got a larger one, or can't be bothered changing it (like me), you should still be ok :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really researching for a primer. In the UK, way back 13+ years ago I used to use Halfords primer. It was ok, although the spray nozzles could give a coarse finish for my chosen scale of 1/72.
I moved to Australia in 2008 and have been in the modelling wilderness since then, I got back into the hobby last year.
I love Lifecolor acrylics, but their primer is in my experience, pants.
It just lifts, even from very thoroughly washed parts. I always wash my parts (fnar fnaar).

Given there is no Halfords here I have had a bit of a furrowed brow :unsure: .

Thus, nothing has been primed and therefore nothing completed in...7 years plus.

I have hand painted Lifecolour acrylics without primer with enjoyable success, but I had to 'de-tack' the Tamiya masking tape after a bad experience with lifting. Thus, I'm really happy with Lifecolor paints (lovely to brush paint - just build up the layers slowly) but have needed a good primer with 'bite'.
After seeing CedB's builds and the thread here, I have ordered two 4oz grey Stynilrez from 'The Combat Company' in Sydney (I'm S.E. of Brisbane - nothing here for modellers).
I'll let you know how I get on with it. My Airbrush has a .3 mm needle at the moment, I may increase that to a 0.4. I also suspect it may be a rubbish airbrush, but it could also be me that is incompetent :rolleyes: .

Should be around 5 days.

Best regards and happy modelling

Tony

• Like 3

I've had a go with my bottle and found that it dried quite rough and didn't level out at all so was a bit disappointed with it. I'll have another go with it and see if I can get a better finish by putting it on a bit wetter next time.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Oh dear... Duncan is this the Badger or the Ultimate stuff? What pressure are you spraying at?

I've been using the Badger stuff straight from the bottle through a 0.4 nozzle at 25-30psi and I love it!

• Like 1

It was the Ultimate stuff, which is the same isn't it? I was spraying at 25-30 psi through a 0.35 nozzle but I maybe didn't lay it down wet enough. I'm used to Mr Surfacer thinned with Self Levelling thinner and I tend to put that on quite thin, from watching some YouTube videos it looks like the Ultimate stuff should be laid on quite wet.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Had another session with it tonight:

26894290235_263b50e7fb_z.jpg

Some splattering (i don't think I was opening the nozzle enough) but that self-levelled. That said I noticed the 'snow' on the stand behind where I was spraying:

26290010653_123dcb3c64_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So perhaps distance is a factor as well? I normally spray about 9-12" way.

• Like 3

Hello chaps,
Yesterday I more or less utterly rebuilt my airbrush. I have no 0.4 nozzle/needle, but there was a 0.5 provided so I am going to try that. My two bottles of Stynilrez arrived last Thursday. I am currently watching the first review videos in this thread just to get a 'feel'.

I haven't used the airbrush in anger, only trials with cardboard and so on. I realised I had made a good job of blocking it up. That has been (I hope) dealt with by some Tamiya Laquer cleaners and cleaning brushes. I feel I need some dentist's tips, but don't know where to get them from. I don't like going to the dentist very much...the sound of that drill.... :fraidnot: .
I will hopefully give a little update here and on my I-16 WIP in around 24 hours.
Best regards

Tony

Edited for spell checker silliness.

Edited by TonyTiger66
  • Like 1

Good luck Tony :)

For 'dentist's tips' try searching for 'paper points' and you should find what you're after. If they're weird sizes I use 60 for my 0.4 nozzle and 30 for my .2.

HTH

• Like 1

I have also used this stuff, it seems to be OK, when you want to sand it back, but it does not like certain primers if they are put on first, especially Halfords Filler primer, it seems it does not adhere properly and when you sand it back it rolls and leaves a step, I sprayed mine at 30psi and gives good coverage without any thinning.

Also it does not smell which is a bonus

• Like 2

Hello chaps.
If 'Mr. Flory' says 'it's a must' I'm looking forwards to tomorrow.

Especially as it seems to cover up a multitude of sins :whistle:
Best regards and happy modelling

Tony
  • Like 2