Another Airfix Gnat in 1/72nd

So I finally got round to finishing off the second of the Gnats I was working on. This time I built her in a slightly different scheme LAG/Dayglo. I decals are a mix of kit and some generic RAF numbers to alter the serials. This build was based on a single photo I found of the aircraft, there a few things I got wrong or wish I had done different/better, but on the whole I think she turned out ok. I meant to build FOD covers but to be honest I just wanted it off the bench towards the end so I didn't bother. Anyway here are the pics of her and finishing with the pair together: - Not sure if the pics are the right size so if they're too small let me know and I will get them changed to larger images!

Edit - I used the Wolfpack bangseats and a Pavla canopy too!

20474259521_9459918a99_c.jpg

19845340634_c8a876a64f_c.jpg

20279934028_1a74a03fee_c.jpg

20467953955_e5316c0f98_c.jpg

20281277439_bdc0c1f3fb_c.jpg

20279811960_f6ea30243c_c.jpg

19845287944_29c8cfdbae_c.jpg

20459200422_fe42ddeffc_c.jpg

20441654906_a96cc23dc1_c.jpg

Edited by Synopsis
  • Like 18

The pics are a bit small but I can still see it's a very neat build. I like the day glo scheme and the 7th pic shows how bright it is.

Thanks for the info and the kind words, I can never remember what size to make them, I have made them a little bigger now hopefully this is better!

Hello,Synopsis - Well done on a couple of great looking Gnats! The schemes really suit the type very well and the daylo is really vibrant.A couple of Midget Gems indeed!!All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Tasty. I never realised this before but looking at your latest Gnat if thats as far as the canopy opens getting in & out of the rear seat must have been interesting

Haha, yea unfortunately that's one of the things I got wrong, canopy should be open much higher! Mines suffering from a bit of Brewers droop, (actually the part I made to fit it to was the wrong angle is all so it's holding the canopy above the spine rather than going down behind the rear seat).

Edited by Synopsis

Haha, yea unfortunately that's one of the things I got wrong, canopy should be open much higher! Mines suffering from a bit of Brewers droop, (actually the part I made to fit it to was the wrong angle is all so it's holding the canopy above the spine rather than going down behind the rear seat).

Still a really tasty pair of models.

Great work, I really love it :) I'm finding this kit to be a pain in the neck atm...!

I have to admit at the end I couldn't get the 2nd one off the bench soon enough, first one built like a dream but the second one just seemed to be one issue after another. Certainly the last time I am using humbrol enamels, back to acrylics for me!

• Like 1

Festive aircraft with the decoration; nice idea! Did you put in transparencies for the nav lights?

Jay

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply, I did indeed put them in, just used the ever faithful stretched clear sprue method.

The flag bunting was from a photograph of the actual aircraft, I presume on static display, I found when looking for reference pics online

• Like 1

Both very nice little models, love the paint finish

(Shouldn't the tail flash be red/white/blue not blue/white/red ?)

Yes you're correct I managed to put the decals on the wrong sides of the aircraft, I'm blaming the fact it was almost 1am when applying them and denying the beer had any influence. I will probably correct them at the weekend once I have been and got the appropriate paints.

• Like 1

Yes you're correct I managed to put the decals on the wrong sides of the aircraft, I'm blaming the fact it was almost 1am when applying them and denying the beer had any influence. I will probably correct them at the weekend once I have been and got the appropriate paints.

Damn beer gets you everytime :banghead: