HMS Hood's Bell recovered

It was announced on Facebook earlier this afternoon. Personally I think it should have been left on the ship. I know they had permission from the RN to recover it, but I feel it still desecrates the grave of the sailors still serving on the mighty Hood.

• Like 3

It will be donated to the RN museum in Portsmouth, perhaps it should be made into some kind of monument to the Hood and her crew?

On a lighter note, the article highlighted again that journalists are idiots and don't care about the truth, when the newsreader said the Hood was sunk by the SS Bismarck. Since when was Bismarck a liner or other merchant ship?

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Good Morning Everyone,

I saw this yesterday on Steelnavy, and I'll make the same comments here as I made on that site. At first, I thought the bell should be left with the ship, but changed my mind for restoring it would be a fitting memorial to the men who died in Hood's final action.

Rather than donating the bell to the museum in Portsmouth, I would rather it be placed in St John the Baptist Church Boldre, which was Admiral Lancelot Holland's favourite church. The church has a long association with HMS Hood, and on the Sunday nearest the anniversary of the ship's sinking a service of remembrance is held. I think placing the bell in St John the Baptist Church would add a degree of reverence to the men who died, if it were placed in the museum I feel it would simply be one more exhibit among many.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Couple of thoughts:

SS Bismarck. Maybe it was a particularly well-informed journalist for whom SS stood for Schlachtschiff (battleship)? No, I don't believe it either. Had to award bonus points for any report actually managing to spell "Bismarck" correctly.

I was uneasy when I learned it had been recovered. However I suppose it prevents it from being looted by someone unscrupulous at a later date. Now that it has been recovered, it would be a high-value trophy for some sick minds so I'd rather it was under the presumably better security of the RN Museum rather than a church. Bet the Parish Church Council wouldn't have welcomed the increased insurance premiums either.

Hi Seahawk,

I had thought of that, and sadly and reluctantly admit you're right - the bell would be too tempting a target for thieves. The security would be better at the Portsmouth, just felt St John's was more apt given its association with Holland and HMS Hood.

Best Wishes,

Will.

I knew Ted Briggs, one of the three survivors, very well, and he had expressed a wish that the bell be recovered and used as a memorial to those who died. The Ryal Navy Museum at Portsmouth seems to be an excellent option.

• Like 2