Gnat the anniversary trainer

Wolwe82

Hey guys, i ll begin on my first what-if project for this gb during my weekends night shifts. It ll be the new tool Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat and i m going to finish it in some camouflage based on ww2 RAF/Commonwealth trainers/OTU planes. Still need to decide which one i m going to chose, but here are the final 5 schemes - you can help me to chose one of them :)

A) Tiger Moth scheme - yellow underside + half of sides, top side dark earth/dark green. Yellow band on fuselage, yellow nose, yellow wing tips, red/white checked under fuselage roundels

B) OTU SAAF - azure blue underside, top side stone brown/sand yellow. Yellow stripe on wing, red nose tip (spinner wanabe;) ), white wing tips, maybe sharkmouth (aka P-40)

C) OTU spitfire (based on Mk.Ia JZ-E) - light grey underside, top side dark green/medium grey, horizontal stripes of white/blue/red on the nose

D) OTU spitfire (based on Mk.I LV-N) - Sky underside, top side dark earth/dark green, yellow nose

E) OTU RAAF - sky blue underside, top side dark brown/dark green, white nose, white tail, white wings leading edges

Tomorrow at morning (when i get home) i ll pre-paint the cockpit parts with the RAF interior green and then i ll just think about the camouflages :)

• Like 2

It seems the tiger moth / yellow underside+camo top side / is most wanted aaand it was the origin of the idea so i ll go with it then :) I m building the kit while i m at work as i have a bit of free time at night shifts and need something to keep me awake. Sadly i do not have any good light here (neither for the build or for taking the photo shots), so just basic job done here. Used Eduard PE for the cockpit. Not sure if i keep the nose opened or closed, ll see yet :)

The kit goes together realy well and i m pretty sure i m going to build more of these later, realy well engineered with a lot of detail and great fit!

Few shots from progress - as i said, nothing special, just all i can do in these bad light conditions :( The canopy ll be closed :)

DSCN1781.jpg
DSCN1782.jpg
DSCN1783.jpg
DSCN1784.jpg
Today at morning i m going on holidays for a week, so i ll be back on this build once i m back at home :)
Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 7