Does anyone do a decent Gloster Javelin kit in 1/72

thepureness

Hi peeps,

I know in regards to Javelin kits, the airfix one is the best around, but at the moment, I'm focusing on British jets in 1/72, I've found a few cheap kits by brands i've never heard of, but is there anything out there at all?

The Airfix F(AW)9, if you can find one, isn't too bad but the rear fuselage and tailpipes are under sized. The FROG/Novo/Eastern Express F(AW)9 has less detail and the nose is too short (but it's easier to convert to F(AW)8 standard than the Airfix kit, but the transfers are likely only to be fit for the bin (Novo's are least worst in this respect in my experience, but coat them in varnish before applying or they'll disintegrate).

Maintrack did a number of fighter conversions for the Heller T3 (reboxed by Airfix) and I think these are available again. Apart from that you might find a hideously expensive early FROG kit which probably represents one of the prototypes.

The cheap kits by brands you have never heard of are most likely re-pops of the old FROG kit dating back to the early 70s. It was a pretty decent (if basic ) kit. Certainly got quite a lot of plastic for your pennies - it's a big beast even in 1/72. Biggest problem I recall was the wing to fuselage fit. Pretty horrendous. Other than that quite an easy build. The FROG kits were very cleanly moulded in decent material. I cannot speak for the quality of the re issued kits.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I've mentioned elsewhere about my ZTS Plastyk 'sort of' clone of the Frog. Avoid at all costs. Apparently Chematic did a repop. Avoid that too.

Best bet, is a genuine FROG one in (I think) dark blue plastic.

Trevor