LIfecolr RN paint sets and equivalents - an appreciation

cruiserguy

Good Afternoon Everyone,

A while ago, I posted my first thoughts on the Lifecolor RN Western and Eastern Approaches sets. In addition, with the help of Mikemx who kindly let me know the Lifecolor equivalents for other RN colours, and having a bit of time on my hands, I have had a closer look at the sets and equivalents, and below you will find the results. In addition, I have added comments comparing results with Vallejo, having done the same thing for Vallejo equivalents some time ago. I have compared both against the Snyder and Short RN paint chips set one.

My method was to prime 8X5 cm business cards with Rustoleum grey primer, and brush the paint onto the cards using a Pro-Arte half-inch flat brush. As expected, the Lifecolor paint brushed well and left no brush marks. However, B5, B6, WA Blue, and WA Green required two or more coats. The results are for indirect daylight on a bright sunny Scottish morning - we haven't had many this year. Please remember that judging colours by eye is subjective, this is not a definitive guide, merely a help.

The results are as follows:

APC 507A - a bit lighter than the S&S chip, but missing the blue component in the colour. The Vallejo equivalent is a closer match;

APC 507B - similar tone to the S&S chip, but missing the blue component in the colour. The Vallejo equivalent is a closer match;

APC 507C - - a bit darker in tone to the S&S chip, but missing the blue component in the colour. The Vallejo equivalent mix is a closer match;

B5 - lighter in tone to the S&S chip, blue component is present. The Vallejo equivalent is a closer match;

B6 - bluer than the S&S chip, tones are similar. It is a better match than the Vallejo equivalent;

WA Blue - an almost exact match to the S&S chip. It is better than the Vallejo equivalent mix;

WA Green - a bit darker in tone than the S&S chip, a bit less green too. The Vallejo equivalent mix is a closer match;

MS 1- a bit lighter than the S&S chip, but a close match. The Vallejo equivalent is a closer match;

MS 2 - very slightly lighter than the S&S chip. There is no appreciable difference between the Vallejo and Lifecolor equivalents;

MS 3- an exact match to the S&S chip. It is better than the Vallejo equivalent;

MS4a- slightly darker and slightly bluer than the S&S chip. A much closer match than the Vallejo equivalent.

I do not have the S&S chips set that covers B15, B20, G10, and G45 and so cannot comment on their accuracy. However, below you will find comparisons with the Vallejo equivalents:

B15 - a little darker and bluer than the Vallejo equivalent;

B20 - a little lighter and bluer than the Vallejo equivalent;

G10 - darker than the Vallejo equivalent;

G45 - darker than the Vallejo equivalent for G45 (1942) but lighter than G45 (Neutral Tone).

In addition, as I will not use the remaining colours in the RN sets - hull red, white, corticene, and semtex green, I did not compare them.

Best Wishes,

Will.