Hermes - Handley Page, not HMS

Handley Page Hermes IV

BOAC, early 1950s

This was from the Welsh Models 1/144 kit – vac form fuselage / resin wings & tailplane / white metal undercarriage.

Hermes%20IV%20model%20013.jpg

I started off my Hermes project using the FRsin kit because I wanted BOAC markings which Welsh Models don’t do, but I gave up on that. The FRsin fuselage is a large, solid resin moulding and in my kit the resin had not cured properly, this resulting in the resin bubbling up through 4 or 5 layers of Halfords white primer & appliance white. So thank you Denzil at Welsh Models for producing a very usable kit on which I used the FRsin decals.

Finish is Halfords Appliance White on top. The natural metal parts are Halfords Nissan Silver with a coat of Daler Rowney ‘Goldfinger’ silver (which seems to be the current marketing name for what was ‘Rub N Buff’). This was then polished and sealed with Klear before decaling.

The Hermes was not the most successful airliner ever, but it fills a gap in the BOAC collection. It has a marked similarity to the DC-4, and hence the picture with my Minicraft SAS DC-4.

Hermes%20IV%20model%20002.jpg

Hermes%20IV%20model%20004.jpg

Hermes%20IV%20model%20005.jpg

Hermes%20IV%20model%20014.jpg

Hermes%20IV%20model%20016.jpg

Hermes%20IV%20model%20021.jpg

• Like 20

Now this is right up my street Chris!

Nice unusual model. I love the aerials they really bring it to life! Any chance of a little bit of weathering as seen on your SAS DC-4?

This is on my to do list for a future "airliners that used Blackbushe in the 50's" theme.

http://blackbusheairport.proboards.com/

Cheers,

Ian

Hello,CT Modeller -.Congratulations on a lovely-looking build of your 'Hermes'Airliner and thank you for a nostalgic trip down memory lane!If they were mine,I'd love to see them displayed on an 'apron' display board.You must be proud of them.All the best,Paul.

Lovely build Chris, thanks for sharing. The Hermes is defintely one of Denzil's nicest kits and I thoroughly enjoyed the Silver City one I built a couple of years ago. I'm glad to learn I'm not the only person who gave up on the F-RSIN version!

Edited by Skodadriver

• 4 weeks later...