Templar Knight in Jerusalem - Young Miniatures Bust 1/10

giemme

Hi everybody;

thought I'd sneak in this bust among aircraft builds, as a sort of diversion. It's my first Young Miniatures and only my second bust, lets' see ....

Boxart

20257364881_3639266bc0_z.jpg

Here's the content, coming in a very sturdy box and packed between two thick layers of foam

20063509560_4a9c35c51c_c.jpg

After removing the casting blocks (using a Dremel and a sawing disc, plus soem refinements with my Electrical Toothbrush Sander), here's a dry-fit (blue tack used to hold it together):

19628876394_b1c1bcc8b7_c.jpg

And here after priming

20064919759_3b3aa5b86b_b.jpg

19628874144_d375b465ca_c.jpg

I've yet to decide what to tackle first, will see...

Ciao

• Like 6

This looks like a real challenge in the painting department, but I'm sure you will make a great job of it.

Now you've got me watching a non- aeroplane build. Don't tell anyone.

John

Too late.......you've been spotted!!

Hi John. Don't know if you've ever followed one of Giemmes figure builds but I know you can look forward to a masterclass in this type of modelling from Giemme.

Hi Giemme. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Hi Stix, glad to have you on board here :winkgrin: And you also set the expectation quite high, thanks for that :lol: ... just kidding, I think I'm going to have fun with this bust.

Ciao

• Like 1

Ok I've got my popcorn now 😁, I like this kit as its a nice likeness of Sean Connery, I've ordered the Nuts Planet crusader knight which looks like Orlando Bloom to go with my Saladin, and the electric toothbrushes are great, I use a pulsar disposable which has small abrasive teeth to scrub the resin when it has its pre primer wash, looking forward to seeing him done, regards Mick

• Like 1

Hi everybody; I was totally sure I had already posted a progress report, but now I'm confused :S:unsure::hmmm: Well, I guess I'm getting old.

That means that today's report is going to be quite extensive. Let's see:

I started from the chainmail, masking first and then airbrushing Model Master Metallizer Burnt Metal

20093496039_37de6133be_z.jpg 19659156563_0ca6b21862_z.jpg

Buffed after 15 minutes or so

19659155853_f3ec312703_z.jpg 19657467914_7aece3a75e_z.jpg

First dark wash

20148685890_476c5688a2_z.jpg 20148739948_a9d494e3cc_z.jpg

Selective silver drybryush

20328285232_efee50d82a_z.jpg

And finally another dark wash:

20148740318_52305441dd_z.jpg

The dark wash is a mix of Matt Black, Matt Neutral Grey and Matt Brown, thinned with water and a bit of dish soap. All paints are from Lifecolor. The silver is an acrylic lacquer I found in a craft store; it was diluted with water and Windex (50-50), again with a bit of dish soap and an hint of Tamiya Paint Retarder for acrylics (that's normally the mix I use for Lifecolor paints when spraying them with my airbrush)

Next: face and turban received a black coat (Tamiya Flat Black, airbrushed); something went wrong there, because after drying I had those white-ish residuals, probably something stuck in my airbrush that came off with Tamiya paint

20253858086_6bed9c87a9_z.jpg

Anyway, I went over that with Lifecolor Matt Black, by brush, and then airbrushed the face with my skin tone base mix

20148739758_e5388ff42e_z.jpg

This mix is done again with Lifecolor paints, and precisely: Matt Black, Matt Brown, Matt Red, Matt Yellow, Matt Flesh Tone 2, a very small hint of Matt Light Blue. Quantities determined by my Eyeball Mk.I device :winkgrin:

Here's a little sequence of eyes painting, but first I gave the face a dark wash, using the base skin tone mixed with some Matt Brown and Matt Black, heavily thinned:

20150118469_54063a4b11_z.jpg

On with the eyes:

20148742568_ae98e8428c_z.jpg20148742348_1a053b6089_z.jpg

20148742108_03f5ccf0f3_z.jpg19714111094_8ba16f2c33_z.jpg

20310498266_715fc639b9_z.jpg

19714110314_dbdea23e71_z.jpg19714109964_310b01ce01_z.jpg

I actually took more photos, detailing the sequence even more, but many of them where out of focus, so they were discarded. Anyway, here's what I did:

- white first, actually an off-white, using Gloss White and Matt Light Gull Grey

- black pupils

- brown in the pupil, covering almost all the black but for the very outer portion

- again black for the center of the pupils

- gloss white for the light reflection (not easy to spot, but it's actually two tiny dots per eye)

- pink (red and gloss white mix) for the bottom of the eyelids, a mix of brown and skin tone for the top

- a reddish wash in the corner of the eyes

- skin tone around the bottom eyelids as a touch up

- a coat of future to give a gloss (and protective) finish

All done with Lifecolor paints, and of course with some touch ups along the sequence.

Any comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's excellent, I was looking at buying the Andrea miniatures paint sets for silver and gold for the sole purpose of doing chain mail but your method is spot on, really looking forward to seeing him done

Edited by Bigmick
  • Like 1

Thanks Mick! :thumbsup:

For the chainmail, I tried to replicate what I normally do with white metal figures: in that case, I don't prime the parts that are supposed to remain metallic, but only work with washes, drybrush and highlights.

Model Master Metallizers give that sort of real metal look which really comes close to what I wanted.

Ciao

Thanks John! :thumbsup: I'm no expert, really, just trying to put into my models what I saw here on BM and on some Youtube tutorials; practice, of course, helps getting better.

But I also must say that the sculpt of this bust helps a lot, it keeps amazing me each time I look at it for the quantity and quality of details in it.

Ciao

Superb work Giemme!! (As I knew it would be!) And I'm very impressed with your step-by-step guide. Very handy - I now have it bookmarked in case I decide, at some point, to have a go at figure making/painting. Thank you.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Very handy - I now have it bookmarked in case I decide, at some point, to have a go at figure making/painting

Yes, surrender to the dark side of the Force! :lol:

Thanks, anyway, and I hope you have a good WE too!

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks TGA and nimrod54! :thumbsup:

Is it me or does this guy have an uncanny resemblance to Sean Connery?

I guess it's more of a resemblance ... see this link: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPnj6M9JF_a3nBl8GJszeRL9CzIK4wcul-waJvlY0_S-Prc2VRQQ

Ciao

Excellent stuff - sorry for not commenting before but I keep forgetting that there are two figure subgroups!

Thanks Will! And yes, I do find myself this double figures group a little confusing ... :confused:

Ciao