1/48 Airfix new tool Hurricane Mk.I P3039 from No.229 Squadron - Completed on 31-10 at 11.50 pm

I chose P3039, a Gloster build Hurricane Mk.I from No 229 Squadron. This aircraft had most likely the national marking painted in pre-war colours as was commen with Gloster build Hurricanes – and I love the name "BéBé" Pilot Officer Ortmans gave his mount.
19.jpg
According to Hurricane Aces 1939-40, the aircraft was delivered on 12 of July to No 229 Squadron and Belgian pilot Ortmans using it to destroy a He 111 on 27 September 1940 and damaged another and damaged a Ju 88 on 18 October. The aircraft was passed on to No.312 Squadron in November 1940 and remained on strength with them until they re-equipped wit Mk.IIs in the spring of 1941, after which it was relegated to training duties with No 56 and No 55 OTU. P3039 was finally written off whilst flying with the latter unit on 27 May 1943.
hurricane2.jpg
I am using the new tool Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I kit together with a Yahu instrument panel and HGW Sutton harness with markings from AeroMaster Battle of Britain Hurricanes set 48-079 X48143 for this build.
P3039-1.jpg
Like most new tool Airfix kits, it is a very nice with lots of details, but suffers from very thick wing trailing edges which is unfortunately common with all the new tool kits I have seen. But the cockpit looks great OOB and gives a busy feel with all the tubing.
P3039-2.jpg
The only thing I am not sure about is this gap from cockpit to undercarriage bay. Was this the case on the real aircraft?
P3039-3.jpg
A very noticeable hallmark on the Hurricane are the openings of the landing lights in the wing leading edges with their open construction.
P3039-6.jpg
I feel Airfix could have done better and represent this part of the aircraft in more detail like they done with the cockpit structure.
P3039-4.jpg
P3039-5.jpg
I tried to represent the busy feel of the openings. I used a part from the gun bay structure as I don’t open them up and scratch build the rest. I am pleased how it turned out and when it is covered with some thin clear plastic sheet (like on the real thing) it hopefully looks it apart.
P3039-7.jpg
P3039-8.jpg
Oh yes, and I did a lot of scraping to reduce the wing trailing edges from 1mm to around 0.3mm, looking much better.
P3039-9.jpg
Should have some paint on the model soon. I appreciate any comments, suggestions and productive criticism which assist my build.
Many thanks for watching. Cheers, Peter
Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi Peter

lovely bit of attention to detail. To give Airfix their due, this is the first time someone has made an effort at a light bay AFAIR.

I noticed the thick trailing edges on dry fitting a research.

Easy enough to thin the wing edges, but the ailerons are also as thick, easy enough to thin, but that wipes out the fabric detail :(

Regarding the UC bay, no, I can't see if having a gap, but is this filled by a later part to be added, sorry kit and instructions not to hand to check.

One other glitch, Airfix on this and the 1/72nd fabric wing Mk I have changed the usual position on the wing to fuselage joint. I've not posted this up before, but as I know you are interested in this kind of detail....

quick aside, lots of great photos of the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane in our walkround section, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76586-hawker-sea-hurricane/

The point in question is well shown in several other photos, but one for ease of reference

sh09.jpg

what I mean are the metal panels where they meet the wing, at that joint, the panels curve out slightly, very visible here due the way they catch the light, looks at the bottom row of fasteners, especially where the two panels meet, you can see the outward 'flare' of the panels. I can see how you would think the panels were flat, as it's quite subtle. Compare with a Hase kit though. Well shows the difference in texture between the fabric and metal covered areas as well.

Not worth worrying about for the non-obsessed, but not to hard to fix if you are prepared to redo the fastner detail, which is overdone on the kit, as the real thing are not raised discs. A piece of thin wall tube of the right diameter pushed into the plastic works, and then a fie drill for the centre.

All then is needed is to fill the existing panel line and rescribe slightly further out.

This also shows the shape of the fabric panel, comparison with Airfix one will show something is not quite right, as compared with one of your pic from the infamous thread, and also shows the flat sided nature of the fuselage panels.

Note relative positions of the rear metal panel middle fastener to the fabric one.

Airfix-Hurri-6.jpg

Hope of interest.
one final point, offhand I don't know how the codes on RE-D run on the starboard side, if RE-D or D-RE, and I'd not trust Errormaster on this.
EDIT this bugged me, so a bit of searching
pic
Codes read RE-D on starboard. a quick check
Errormaster says 'squadron codes forward of roundel on starboard side'
Hope of use,
cheers
T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the compliments regarding the landing lights. I have to say, I am not sure if it was worth it as they are not very large. It will be interesting to see how they look with the perspex cover fitted.

Troy, you are a goldmine for information on the Hurricane and of course very useful. Yes the ailerons are the tricky bits as they are too thick as well. I am thinking to saw them in half through the middle ...

I don't think there is a part going in the gap of the UC bay. I saw a picture showing this gap covered with some leather. Will try to find it again.

What you are saying regarding the fuselage side panels has some merits and I have to think about this - Unfortunately there is a deadline with this build (or maybe it is fortunately).

Great information regarding the Squadron code. I had a look previously, but couldn't find any pictures showing it on the starboard side. Amazing how you find this stuff. Talking about markings, what is your opinion regarding the little Penguin on the engine cover. Some artworks show it and some don't. There is a white spot on the picture, but there could be many other reasons for this.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter

Sawing the ailerons...well, maybe. Sounds very tricky.

Maybe sand the top down, as underside has more detail, and then re-skin the top with 5 thou card, scored with a biro, technique used by biplane builders to represent ribbing. There are resin control surfaces available as well.

I'll check out the UC bay construction later.

I'd not noticed the penguin! Perhaps this was noted by the pilot or in a contemporary account. Something to search more on.

regarding searching, the linked image was found by image searching '229 squadron' only and that turned up.

cheers

T

PS bit more hunting

http://www.cieldegloire.com/006_ortmans.php

not seen this before

ortmans3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Troy, this is the best picture I found showing the section of the undercarriage in question.

Bay.jpg

It does show a smallish gap covered with some material (leather?)

Like with my Spitfire build, I primed the internals with black Mr. Surfacer 1500 and airbrushed the internal metal parts with Alclad II white Aluminium.

P3039-10.jpg

A small section of the tubed interior is painted cockpit green. Maybe I should have painted that first, saving me the elaborate masking when airbrushing the interior green.

P3039-12.jpg

P3039-15.jpg

I added some shadows and highlights with darker and lighter versions of interior green.

P3039-14.jpg

The Airfix seat is usable. I sanded the sides thinner prior gluing it together and I also added the opening for the harness in the backrest.

P3039-13.jpg

I am puzzled why Airfix didn't do this as their 1/72 rug wing Hurricane hat this feature shown.

I kept the brown oil wash here to a minimum.

P3039-16.jpg

I think the cockpit will look smashing when completed.

P3039-17.jpg

Like with the Spitfire build, the next steps are detailing the cockpit with various colours, showing some paint chipping and applying some weathering.

Until then, Peter

• Like 1

The Hurricane moved along nicely this week. When applying the open / closed, I removed the middle bit as it was too wide compared to the real text applied.

P3039-18.jpg

P3039-18b.jpg

I think this looks much better.

I added a 0.5mm plasticard to the Yahu IP so that it fits into the groove intended for the Airfix IP.

P3039-19.jpg

Here in place. I also added some extra detail to make it look a bit more interesting.

P3039-19b.jpg

The seat armor with seat is now in place.

P3039-20.jpg

P3039-21.jpg

I added two airscale Cockpit Placard Decals to give the cockpit a bit of interest. The only thing missing are the seatbelts which I hope to fit soon.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers Peter

• Like 5

Finishing the HGW fabric seatbelts went faster than expected. Here is the set ready for attachment to the seat.

P3039-22.jpg

They are a model in their own right.

And here on the seat in the Hurricane cockpit.

P3039-23.jpg

P3039-24.jpg

P3039-26.jpg

P3039-25.jpg

I am very pleased with the outcome, considering it was the first time using them.

The only thing left to do is the oxygen tube. The Hurricane has the oxygen tank behind the seats armor plate. But I couldn't find any picture to see how the tube is coming into the cockpit. Does anybody has an idea?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 15

Really excellent work! I must get one of those panels though, it looks superb. Also this HGW belts! I've just done a set in 1/32, you must have inbuilt magnifying glasses and the patience of job!

Both build and photography so far are outstanding.

I've just ordered one if the new "Ready for Battle" Airfix sets so this build is very timely.

Those belts and new IP really set it off.

Keep up the inspiring work... Dave.

That cockpit looks fantastic Peter.

The addition of the Yahu IP really sets off the great job you have done on painting and weathering the rest of the cockpit, those seatbelts look very good as well, I can see me investing in both sets in the future.

Craig.

Thanks Craig. The Yahu IP does look great, just a shame that not much is visible on the finished model.

Really excellent work! I must get one of those panels though, it looks superb. Also this HGW belts! I've just done a set in 1/32, you must have inbuilt magnifying glasses and the patience of job!

Mark, these seat belts certainly tested my sanity! Best not to do them in one go... I do think they are better suited for 1/32 scale.

Nice work Peter, I'm gaining lots of inspiration and ideas from you build.

Ozzy, I am glad that my build helps others. I have to say that I am enjoining myself following some of the builds here.

Really very nice clean detailed work. Really enjoying your work

Rob

Thanks Rob

Both build and photography so far are outstanding.

I've just ordered one if the new "Ready for Battle" Airfix sets so this build is very timely.

Those belts and new IP really set it off.

Keep up the inspiring work... Dave.

Dave, I think the Yahu IP and HGW belts together with the new Eduard resin exhaust and wheels make this kit a stand-out.

Fantastic cockpit, a lovely bit of detail in there,

Sean

Thanks Sean

Did some more work on my Spitfire build today and prepared the oxygen tube. More to come next weekend.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Thank you PlaStix. Just a shame that most of it won't be visible in the finished model.

I got a bit further this week, but my Spitfire build had priority as I had some catching up to do. When gluing the fuselage together, I added these two shims to assist alignment with underside of the wing, eliminating lots of filler and sanding.

P3039-27.jpg

There is now a smooth transition into the underside of the wing. I also added a pneumatic pipe to the undercarriage bay before gluing the cockpit to the wing as it will be difficult doing this later.

P3039-27b.jpg

As mentioned earlier, little will be seen with the fuselage in place.

P3039-28.jpg

Slowly starting to look like an aircraft!

P3039-29.jpg

I mentioned in my first post that I thinned the wing trailing edges as they are way too thick. This unfortunately still leaves the ailerons being too thick.

P3039-30.jpg

Sawing them in half removed the correct amount and kept the lovely external detail in place. A bit messy, but done in 5 minutes.

Shims needed to be added on the wing side edge as the width only needs to be reduced along the trailing edge.

P3039-31.jpg

And here back together with the outer surfaces still in pristine condition.

P3039-32.jpg

Is it worth it? I think so if you look at the real deal here http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_iia/images/hurricane_iia_10_of_31.jpg

Here a comparison of the thinned wing and ailerons above and the wing Airfix is giving you below.

P3039-33.jpg

Sure, a small detail, but one which bothers me.

Hope to have more in a week. Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 10

Thanks Karl, Steve and Craig. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Got a bit done today. Can you spot the difference to the stock kit (bottom)?

P3039-34.jpg

And yes, P3039 has a little brother too. As with the Spitfire AZ kit, I started this Airfix ragwing kit last year, but it kind of also stalled. So I thought why not trying to finish it at the same time as P3039 too.

Hur72-1.jpg

I used a Yahu IP, but I don't sink I will use it again on a Hurricane in 1/72 as it is practically invisible in the closed cockpit.

Hur72-2.jpg

The seat belts are the Eduard kind of printed type. They are ok in 1/72. I guess I am spoiled by the HGW creation.

Hur72-3.jpg

I did the mods needed for a correct ragwing and also added navigation lights.

Hur72-4.jpg

This kit had also the "Airfix disease" of a thick wing trailing edge which I thinned substantially. Also added some extra detail to the radiator.

I will be back on track on the main build with upcoming posts. Until next time.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 6

Time for another update. I don't like the way Airfix represented the fasteners used on removable panels as they should be flush with the fuselage. So off they came. I used this beading tool to represent the outer ring. I found this to work much better than with an injection needle.

P3039-35.jpg

Unfortunately I placed some at a wrong location. I filled them with my favored filler - super glue mixed with talcum powder.

P3039-36.jpg

Here they are at the correct spot.

P3039-37.jpg

And with the center hole in place after sanding and a slight swap of thin solvent to desolve the remaining sanding dust and removing the sharp edges.

P3039-38b.jpg

Troy pointed out that some of the panel lines aren't at the correct spot and I think he is right. But the error is not easy to fix as the things like the pilots foot steps need to be moved. So I left them unchanged as they are reasonably close to the real thing.

The benefit of reworking the fasteners is that I could also represent them on top of the engine cover which Airfix didn't.

P3039-39.jpg

And here the comparison to Airfix's offering.

P3039-40.jpg

I will add the fasteners at the bottom of the panel after the wing is in place.

And here how they look on the original. The Mk.I in Hendon and at the Sience Museum which I took earlier this year on a visit to Europe.

Hurri-2.jpg

Hurri-3.jpg

Troy also mentioned the curvature of the panels to the wing which Airfix doesn't represent. Originally I planed not to correct this. But when I placed the fuselage onto the wing, I noticed a problem.

P3039-41.jpg

Because I thinned the wing trailing edge substantially, the fuselage to wing panel was out of place.

This needs to be corrected by removing plastic.

P3039-42.jpgBut now the transition of the fuselage panel to wing is kind of stuffed now. So why not having a go at showing the curvature of these panels.

This is easier said than done. I wanted it to do in such a way that I can add the fasterner representation before gluing the fuselage to the wing, because I realized that it will be very difficult to get the beading tool in place after the wing is attached to the fuselage.

So I glued a strip of 0.4mm plasticard to the side of the fuselage and used a violin maker scraper (making violins is another hobby of mine) to create the concave curvature.

P3039-43.jpg

It will need a bit of filler when the fuselage is glued to the wing. But I should be able to add the fastener representation before.

P3039-44.jpg

I keep my fingers crossed that I have some pictures in a week showing this section completed.

Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 9