Dad's daily ride in 1944/5 - a Daimler Dingo (by Mini Art)

There is a tiny photo of my dad lounging against his Dingo taken (I think) in late 44 which will be the inspiration for this build, and which I will post as soon as I have a decent copy, but for now here are a couple of pics of the kit...

I can't believe the PE in this kit... See the handbrake quadrant? The nuts on it are separate parts about .5mm across!

20150801_205905_zpsfqudupjv.jpg

20150801_205316_zpslakfrphe.jpg

20150801_205224_zpsicpt5gok.jpg

• Like 5

By the way - I am looking for a Vickers K gun for this (dad had one) and the only one I can find will cost me the thick end on £20 and comes with three (unwanted) Brownings - so if anyone has one they want rid of I will happily trade a few beer tokens for one...

By the way - I am looking for a Vickers K gun for this (dad had one) and the only one I can find will cost me the thick end on £20 and comes with three (unwanted) Brownings - so if anyone has one they want rid of I will happily trade a few beer tokens for one...

Gaspatch do a Vickers K gun in 1/35

Clearly a brave man and a talented soldier! That is so typical of so many such men humble to the last. My dad served in the Royal Navy in the Far East during WW2 and even though I'm ex forces myself he has rarely spoken about his experiences during that time and never really opened up. At least you can take pride in what your dad achieved and this build (which is looking awesome) is a testament to him.

A couple of shots of the latest progress. The rear panel is just taped there to locate the others and is not yet painted.

I think that next thing to do is scruffy up the inside a bit before adding any more panels.

I also need to think about either buying or building some spare Vickers ammunition, which I believe was normally stored in canvas pouches a bit like shoulder bags? Anyone got any photos?

20150810_204752_zpseihhsjba.jpg

20150810_204809_zpsmwwka96n.jpg

• Like 3

There are Vickers K guns in the Tamiya SAS /LRDG jeep but Id say they're rubbish compared with Gaspatch ones .Still if you aren't getting the aftermarket ones I don't mind sending mine to you and doing Browning version of jeep .

I'm getting the Gaspatch ones, thanks for the offer though.

Thanks for the nice comments everybody :)

I wished I'd seen this earlier and could have advised you to remove these cables you painted white from the side panels as they are for a post war fit only (for smoke dischargers). You can see them here:

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/dingo.htm

HTH

Andy

I wish I had seen that site earlier!. I can at least paint over them (I'll be pleased to do that because I made a bit of a mess with them to be honest), but I fear it is too late to remove them.

Great site though - nice pics... I went to Bovington to have a look at a Dingo, but they had the (rain) cover fitted so I couldn't see inside :(

Dad said that he NEVER closed the top nomatter what the weather or the Germans were throwing at him...

Edited by TwoSheds

Ah but this was a time when you could get away with non regulation stuff... At various times dad also had a Thompson, a Sten (famously used to shoot a chicken in a tree), a Mauser pistol and a Schmeiser which he brought home!

The Vickers was grabbed from a shot-up vehicle in France, and the mount was welded on while he was at the rear for a few days recovering from a shrapnel wound.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lovely comments. I will hopefully be posting some more pictures tonight of the steady progress...

Something has been troubling me, though - on the one photo I have of Dad's Dingo, the mount for the previously mentioned Vickers appears to be welded to the outside of the 'doors' that open to allow the Bren to poke through, and I couldn't work out why... So I put this forward to the collective as a possible reason: With the mount welded to the door, it can be unbolted and moved over whenever they are issued a new Dingo - apparently this happened several times due to break-down or battle-damage (or crashing into a ditch <ahem>). What do you thing? Plausible?

Anyway - still making moves to get hold of the original photo that is the inspiration for this build, but for the moment here is the only (terrible) copy that I have (Dad is the one on the right as viewed):

Dad_zpsgztara3f.jpg

Edited by TwoSheds