Bf-109 E3 Airfix 1/48....Finished!

Right then, whilst waiting for my Hurricane to arrive I have got the modelling itch from watching all the great builds on this GB and have decided that I have to make another model for it.

I have long been a fan of the Messerschmitt Bf-109 so what better excuse to start the build of one than this GB? Most of my markings for the 109 are for foreign operators of the aircraft but I do have some Luftwaffe decals and I shall use these to build what will be my first Luftwaffe 109 for around 20 years!

I shall be using the new tool Airfix Bf-109 E which, as I'm sure you all know, can be built as any version of the E from the -1 through to the -7 and as such comes with a variety of options such as inserts for the wing guns and fuel tanks or bombs for the centreline rack. I will be building mine as a -3, which had the earlier rounded canopy and had wing mounted cannon.

First a picture of the kit.

109%20001_zpsh64rco58.jpg

As you can see some of the main parts were removed from the sprue a while ago and there has even been some RLM-02 applied to some of the interior components but this is well inside the 25% rule.

As for the colour scheme I am still not sure. I have 2 schemes in mind, which are actually quite different.

109%20003_zpskp8l3l65.jpg

As you can see this a/c was operated 3/JG 53 and was flown by Feldwebel Walter Schultz (or Scholtz), this aircraft was brought down on 30th September at Langney in Sussex where the pilot was captured unhurt. This is probably my favourite choice as I like the different camouflage scheme. My second choice is below.

109%20002_zpsfk88foz9.jpg

As you can see this a/c was flown by Oberleutnant Heinz Bar, and he too was shot down in it, this time crashing into the Channel, from which he was rescued. He went on to fly over 1,000 missions and survived the war after fighting on every front possible. I actually have the correct decals to do Bars a/c but will have to cobble together the markings for Schultz's a/c, this should not be too much of a problem as I have a number 3 in the correct size and colour and should be able to make the number 1 from some bars I have in the correct colour. Now I know profiles in books can be slightly off at times (to say the least) I have checked both of these out and they appear to be correct, just have to decide which one now!

Thanks for looking, and hopefully there will be a small update tomorrow.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 7

Cracking choice Craig,looking forward to seeing this progress,I can see the notorious leading edge slat's in the bottom left of the box

and those sprue gate's right on the facing's,take care with their removal.

• Like 1

Be careful with that book (or any other book in the same series for that matter). Most of the profiles are poorly researched and faulty. My recommendation would be to use the book as inspiration but to find the real references elsewhere.

Jens

• Like 1

Be careful with that book (or any other book in the same series for that matter). Most of the profiles are poorly researched and faulty. My recommendation would be to use the book as inspiration but to find the real references elsewhere.

Jens

Thanks Jens,

Yes I am well aware of the issues with this series of books and have checked both profiles with other sources and have even found photo's of the first one which show that they got it mostly right.

Thanks for the interest Alistair, I will try to do her justice.

Craig.

• Like 1

Time for an update, and only one day later than I said! This is a miracle for me.

The first job was to assemble some of the pre-painted sub-assemblies such as the cockpit and the wings, and this is how they looked.

109%20002_zpslu0txdon.jpg

Only a couple of parts assembled, and looking a bit anaemic and in need of another coat of paint. So that's what I did, I added the seat support and the control column and gave it another coat of paint. I have also modified the kit seat by removing the molded on seat belts and adding a hole where the replacement Eduard belts (the old etched ones rather than the fabric ones as these are what I have got), but I have not got a picture of this as the camera struggled to focus on it, there will be a photo of the finished cockpit before the fuselage halves get closed up so hopefully you will be able to see it then. Anyway this is what the cockpit looks like now...

109%20004_zpscywqircv.jpg

As I mentioned the wings have been assembled, complete with the inserts for the wing cannons. It will come as no surprise to you all that these are not the best fit but it is nothing that a bit of filler and some sanding couldn't cure. Here is the before photo...

109%20003_zpsobgawj9j.jpg

And here is the after photo...

109%20006_zps3jal0qdi.jpg

Much better! As you can see I have given the entire upper-surface of the wings a coat of RLM 02 as well whilst I was painting the interior as this is one of the colours of the final camouflage scheme and acts as a good primer to show up any flaws, fortunately there weren't any this time.

Airfix had done their best to put ejector marks in obvious places in the cockpit (bless them) and they did a pretty good job. Here is a picture of the liberal amounts of filler applied to hide them...

109%20001_zps6zp0badn.jpg

And this is what they look like now...

109%20005_zpsz7menedn.jpg

Much better again. Don't get me wrong the little niggles will not put me off building another as on the whole the kit is a very good one, and more are definitely on the cards, including Romanian and Spanish ones. Oh well thats enough for now, off to make a start on the detailing and washing of the cockpit etc.

Thanks for the interest and for looking, as usual all comments and criticisms are welcome.

Craig.

• Like 3

Thanks Greg,

Yeah I must admit I nearly did the same, but as I was going to have to spray some more RLM 02 anyway I thought what the hell! I also plan on having the cockpit open too so that helped convince me.

Nice work on your 109 too, looks like we will have a few good builds.

Craig.

• Like 1

Time for a quick update.

The cockpit interior has been finished and given a wash (dirty cockpit!) so I have taken a few pictures of it before I button up the fuselage. Definitely not the most comprehensively detailed cockpit but I am happy with it.

109%20a%20002_zpsx9z1fn6y.jpg

109%20a%20003_zpsg4czddwg.jpg

109%20a%20004_zpskcsnv7jx.jpg

109%20a%20005_zpsod5jrhhj.jpg

As you can see I have left the gunsight off for now, experience tells me I would knock it off.

Oh well best get off the computer and actually get on with some modelling, in case you hadn't noticed this site can be terribly addictive!

As usual all comments and criticisms gratefully received and thanks for looking.

Craig.

• Like 11

Great job on the cockpit Craig,harness look,s good too.

Thanks Steve, I am quite pleased with how it has turned out. I have to say that I think Airfix got the amount of detail in the cockpit about right, not too much but enough to look convincing with only a little effort.

Nice work Craig. Those harnesses look much better than the moulded on ones in the kit :goodjob:

Thanks Greg, I think the harnesses are the weakest part of the cockpit. Monogram made much better efforts of moulded on belts over twenty years ago so it amazes me that manufacturers make such poor efforts today, In my opinion it would be better if they left them off if they are to the standard of these Airfix ones.

You'v got that cockpit looking spot on , especially the detail on the instruments

Thanks Mottlemaster, I have to say that Airfix have made detailing the instrument panel easy by their use of raised details which are also quite accurate which helps!

I have made a start on the fuselage and wing finishing touches and I will post some photos when I have them ready to assemble.

Thanks for the interest guys.

Craig.

First a belated thank you to Ozzy for his kind comment.

Now time for an update...

The fuselage halves have been joined together and they fitted together rather well with only a small amount of filler being required. The glazings have now been "kleared" and masked and the front and rear sections have been joined to the fuselage and they also fitted very well, here is a picture of how it looks now.

109b%20005_zps9pfxkm0s.jpg

As you can see the wings have been temporarily snapped into place, they really do snap! They fit very well and I am considering leaving them in place and applying some liquid glue to the seams, but I have to decide whether or not to fit the drop tank or not as my references do not make it clear if one was fitted or not, I might just leave it off as even if she was carrying one when she was shot down she would not have always carried one whilst on the ground at her home airfield. here is an overall view of the upper-surfaces...

109b%20004_zpsi9ombjaw.jpg

The under-sides also look quite good with only a small amount of filler going to be required. The chin fairing is also only snapped in to place at this moment, another great fit.

109b%20006_zpsuwace1hc.jpg

Thats it for now, best get back to the bench! On late shift next week so not much modelling opportunities but I shall try!!

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms and help are greatly appreciated.

Craig.

• Like 6

I am really pleased with how well the majority of this kit fits together, I will certainly be adding a few more to the collection.

As Airfix are still pinging these out at £6.75 a pop on their BoB special offer page I'd suggest now's as good a time as any to stock up on them!

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/battle-of-britain-1/messerschmitt-bf109e-4-e-1-1-48.html

I bought 4 so I did my bit to help Airfix get rid of these!

• Like 1