I think that's more down to my ineptitude than the paint, to be honest - I've no doubt it's possible to get a smoother finish. :winkgrin:

I did find that the Mr Metal Colour had a tendency to clog the airbush slightly, so I had to pull the trigger back fairly far to get any flow - I may have over compensated by moving the airbrush further away. I might try thinning a little more next time...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

I think that's more down to my ineptitude than the paint, to be honest - I've no doubt it's possible to get a smoother finish. :winkgrin:

I did find that the Mr Metal Colour had a tendency to clog the airbush slightly, so I had to pull the trigger back fairly far to get any flow - I may have over compensated by moving the airbrush further away. I might try thinning a little more next time...

Cheers,

Andrew

Nice quick progress mate! As for the Mr Metal, I'm assuming you are referring to the Super Metallic line? If so you definitely need to thin it down, I would recommend the Mr Hobby Levelling Thinner for it

No, just the standard Mr Metal Colour - but you're right it still needs thinning. You've just reminded me that I do have some of the self-levelling thinner in the cupboard!

Cheers,

Andrew

Edit: Pipes added:

20157895578_dc3f277dcf_b.jpg

Radiator Pipes Installed by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while... this buddy build seems to be a bit quiet so far. For myself, school holidays, and the full-time child care duties that goes with it, have hampered progress somewhat. Still I have managed to tinker here and there. Mostly just painting components, although I have made a start on assembling the rear sprocket and brake rotors. I try and add a few photos soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to try and pick this up again. CWT Junior II has started at nursery for a couple of days a week, so I have a little time and space to get my head straight. I must admit I'm finding it difficult to focus on anything much at the moment, so if I can stop pacing around the house for long enough make some progress with this build, then I will. There's plenty of lost time to make up for!

I'm going to go back to square one with the chain and have another go. The inner links went on ok, but I had trouble with the outer ones. I may need to open up the holes very slightly, but it may yet all end up in disaster! There's always the kit parts to fall back on...

Here goes... wish me luck. Once more unto the breach, dear buddies, once more. :winkgrin:

Andrew

• Like 1

This looks very nice.

I haven't seen one of these kits myself,all I see is the physical bike.

Look forward to seeing more. If you need any photos of the actual bike just let me know and can get some as the place I work has one as a project bike.

• Like 1

A little more progress. I've made up the final drive sprocket and finished the rear sprocket. Installed the swing arm and chainguards etc:

21980261662_4c28d9b7a6_b.jpg

Rear Swing Arm Installed by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

21369674554_ce47d0dc2a_b.jpg

Rear Sprocket & Swing Arm by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

The chain fits pretty well - just the right amount of tension, I think.

Time to get back to some actual plastic modelling! Had my fill of PE for a little while..... :winkgrin:

Thanks for looking - not sure if the buddy element of this build has been abandoned or not... :shrug:

Cheers,

Andrew

Wow to the chain, that looks brilliant. The tail end looks very tidy, nice to see the red lenses. I was thinking more LED type for my build with some reflective tape but we will see. I need to get back to it but it's Wessex week this week.

Colin

• Like 1

Looks perfect!! I will be doing my first Top Studio chain in the next few weeks so any advice or tips are greatly appreciated mate

Ok, based on my vast experience of 1 chain set :winkgrin::

- Get a pe pencil thingy if you don't already have one, and some pointy tweezers.

- Polishing up the chain links with some (2400) micromesh seemed to help them fit over the pins better - although this may just have been coincidence.

- I used some bare-metal foil adhesive to hold things together during construction, but probably any diluted pva-type glue would do - you may need something stronger than water to clean it off afterwards (the BMF stuff suggest paint thinner). I used an old toothbrush too.

- Overall, the jig seems well thought out, if a little fiddly.

- There are plenty of spare pins/rollers and links!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

thanks very much Andrew, yes I think white pva glue will be my choice as that is what i used for my Tamiya RC166 chain.

the build is looking amazing btw, and its good you have checked the rear cowling fitment as mine didnt fit flush and I have seen some other people also not fitting flush, I didnt check the fitment prior to glueing it.

The bike is coming together very well, all the painstaking work with the chain has certainly paid off. Just something I spotted, if I may, the spring for the rear shock should be yellow if you're replicating the Ohlins version.

Re the Buddy Build, I'm busy filling bits and sanding, in between other projects, and as I'm ignoring the deadline progress is somewhat stop start. At least I now have an exhaust system done and assembled.

Keep up the excellent work.

• Like 1