AMT 1/72 RC-135V (or W)

I started a build of a KC-135A on another forum for a GB and while I was tinkering with bits ended up with 3 on the go...

50500973862_6cbc80e0d3_b.jpg

50500813686_b2c5b4e186_c.jpg

50500101548_7e52c48f3f_c.jpg

50500101503_9ca3351dfc_c.jpg

So I decide one would be an RC-135V or W since you don't see many (any?) of these completed.

50500101503_9ca3351dfc_c.jpg

There are a couple of things I need to sort out before progressing. I am thinking about a take off config for this build and need to decide if I start chopping open nose gear doors. If not then some nose weight has to go in.

The other issue is; will I use the kit TF-33s or steal some CFMs from another kit to make it a current config jet?

I have some Wolfpak decals for a USAF machine along with the Spectre Resins cheeks to add to the build.

• Like 5

Thanks chaps, not much else to report, I have decided to make it in the take off mode so some research required to figure out which bit of the wing to chop up to drop the flaps.

50500973797_b698e3bd56_b.jpg

50500973782_d16463934c_b.jpg

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Updated image links

Wow Ray, you are taking on a challenge with this lot :popcorn:

Inspired by Wally by any chance?

Wally's build did give me ideas, just need to dig up his threads to see how he cut the wings up, also I have seen a few nice takeoff pictures and thought it would look pretty cool .

Surgery on the wings has commenced

50500973787_199c2d77af_b.jpg

50500814116_037f754ec1_b.jpg

Test fit

50500101863_0705c950b9_b.jpg

I think I will need to separate all the parts out and box them in. Also have cut the nose gear doors out and trying to figure out how to modify the retraction jack for the nose gear leg.

Updated image links and grammar
  • Like 2

I have a fellow club member build one right now. He has a problem with paint adhering to the fuselage when he went to unmask and he used low tack tape. He has put three complete paint jobs on it now, striping each earlier one. At a recent meeting he was told it might be an "oiler" Something about the plastic having a high oil content or never aired out properly. It was washed each time to. I think he's going to try some automotive primer/sealer this time. The wings and tail were fine.

Looking good so far, but 3 on the go at once! Now that is brave. As for a final colour scheme, have you considered an RAF machine? Would certainly be up to date. Just a thought

I think they just drop, no messy complicated parts to manufacture

3042117967_2e3d245c93_z.jpg

Got the nose gear sorted in the retracting position.

50500101843_ed8d2988ec_c.jpg

50500814021_dd6e295473_b.jpg

50500101813_b9e10cf722_b.jpg

Looks like the nose gear well walls need a little thinning to allow the wheels to fit without interference.

And started on the engines.

50500101743_8e7da1350c_b.jpg

50500101758_39be153ddd_b.jpg

50500813921_e2907d387b_c.jpg

Also gathering reference pictures to see how many new antenna I will need to scratch build.

Updated image links
  • Like 3

Did some test fitting with the nose gear. Some of the dimensions of the gear well and and the wheels, etc are out. It is a tight squeeze putting the gear partially into the well.

50500813881_15694fa65f_c.jpg

50500813901_304c5a9db6_c.jpg

I have finished chopping up the wings and will start building up the flaps.

Also need to find some aircrew :D

Updated image links
  • Like 1

Thanks Graeme,

The Antenna will be interesting. i think I will have a few extra to create when the time comes.

The Wedgetail is still a work in progress, having some issues with parts staying glued to the fuselage. Wings are warped as well and I have been slowly getting them straight after multiple attempts with hot water.

Well it is hard to believe this was started 5 years ago, I have just updated the image links from PB to Flickr.

It stirred some interest by someone who is building an Airseeker so might have to get this one back on the bench after a couple of 707 projects are cleared.

• Like 3

Ray: you are one ambitious man, and you clearly have ample space!  I built the AMT/ERTL KC-135A when it first came out in 1994-95 and was very happy with it except for one thing: the wing dihedral.  It is way too shallow, because it should exactly match the dihedral of the horizontal stabilizers, or 7 degrees, which it does not.  I remember proudly "rolling out" my new tanker for a non-modeler and (at the time) Air Force officer and the first words out of his mouth were: "what's up with the wings, dude?"  "Well," I said, "the wings are full of fuel, you see..."  Hilarious.  

That, however, did not prevent me from buying a few more (an R and a couple RC's) at the BX (Base Exchange), because they were a real steal at $15.00 a pop.  Yes, they were that cheap then.  Anyway, when I began working on my RC a few years ago, the first thing I did was to trim the stub wing spar undersides so that they would have a steeper angle.  This created other complications, because the lower wing assembly simply will not bend without distorting everything, including the lower fuselage half-circle cross-section to which it's attached.  What I should have done was to score along the fuselage / wing join so that it would more easily bend, but it's an irregular shape.  So I put it all away.  

Why should you care?  Because the bigger F108 engines on this bad boy are going to scrape the ground, or at least appear to scrape the ground, unless you do something with the dihedral--or depict it in flying mode, which I guess is what you're doing.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up on the wing dihedral Alex.

I have built an F-108 powered R some years ago (wheels up again)

Just updated the image links in the thread

But I  was unaware of the dihedral issue so will look into it..