Spitfire MkI/II Detail sets. 1:32 for Revell

Spitfire MkI/II

1:32 Pavla

packs.jpg

Although having a number of problems from the box, the Revell 1:32 MkI/II Spitfire is still a very nice kit. Since there is always room from improvement a number of manufacturers have released correction sets and detail sets. With this in mind Pavla has released three new sets to improve the cockpit area. All three sets are contained in a blister pack with card backing and header.

The first pack contains a replacement seat, which looks a lot closer to the real metal seat, but is still not 100% correct, although the missing detail on the seat back will probably be covered by the seatbelts.

seat.jpg

The second pack contains a replacement access door. This is very nicely moulded with some very fine surface detail on the outer skin and nice rib detail on the interior. The door does not come with a moulded on crowbar, nor is any provided, which, I believe is correct for this era.

door.jpg

The final set contains the cockpit sidewalls, which are drop in replacements. As per the other sets the mouldings are very well moulded, with lots of detail such as the cabling between electrical boxes, the longerons, stringers and frames, along with numerous smaller details. Some careful painting and the use of washes will pay dividends in making these details pop. In addition to the sidewalls the set comes with separate throttle quadrant, oxygen bottles and trim wheels, another smaller oxygen style bottle and the undercarriage control box and lever.

interior.jpg

Conclusion
Pavla have produced some very nice detail in these three sets. I thinking the sidewalls are the best of the bunch, although the door is a nice easy addition. I’m not sure when the metal seat was used, but if the aircraft you’re modelling uses this style then go for it. Highly recommended

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif

I wasn't too sure about the seat, it looks a bit big and chunky to me, so I've amended a Tamiya seat for my B of B Mk1.It turned out to be quite easy, the plastic either side of the lozenge is just thick enough to be able to carefully file the seat pan until the depression is full width, then all you have to do is make a cushion.

The sidewalls look very nice so if (when) I buy a Revell Spitfire I/II I would seriously consider investing in a set of those.