Ferrocious Frankie - Tamiya P51-D Mustang

Tamiya P51-D Mustang
1:48 scale
Eduard Photo Etch for cockpit details.

Macro shots taken in the studio with a Canon EOS M3 mirrorless compact camera to which a Canon TS-E 90mm lens and 20mm extension tube was attached via an adapter. Lit with three Canon 600ex-rt flash guns mounted inside a large softbox 600. exposure was 1/60th sec. @ f16 iso 100.

The cockpit area is just over 2cm in length.

My wife has always loved the P51, and Ferrocious Frankie in particular. So to keep in her good books, this one is for her.

Scratches on the seat where the pilot clambers in and out were carefully markes with a sharp silver pencil. The wood effect flooring was grained and weathers with tamiya weathering sets. Flory models wash was applied to give relief. Photo etch was glued with medium superglue and some with gator glue.

Here is one of my photos of the real Ferrocious Frankie, on which my model will be based.

FFDive.jpg

And on the the images of the cockpit assembly.

FFP51-1.jpg

FFP51-2.jpg

FFP51-3.jpg

FFP51-4.jpg

FFP51-5.jpg

FFP51-6.jpg

FFP51-7.jpg

• Like 4

The cockpit is looking good, A bit of information that you may already be aware of, depending on which aircraft you are building the war time Ferrocious Frankie didn't have a tail fillet. I appreciate you are probably building the preserved aircraft in that case the fillet is appropriate.

Malcolm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received a spray booth for my birthday, and this was the first time I used it. The difference was notable. Apart from the obvious benefits to the air quality in the man cave and my lungs, the finish on the models was much improved without the oversparay floating around everywhere.

The filling the small imperfections and seams with Perfect Plastic putty and Vallejo Plastic Putty was completed and let to cure overnight.The seams were then sanded down and polished to leave a perfectly scratch free finish. The Vallejo putty was used along the wing root joins and levelled down using Isopropanol on cotton buds. This left a pefectly filled join with no areas to sand and smooth.

I then cleaned the thoroughly to remove any dust from the sanding, using airbrush cleaner on cotton buds for those awkward little places and wiped over with an airbrush cleaner moistened flock free paper towel.

Once dried, it was then placed on flock free paper in the spray booth and given a smooth coat of Vallejo 74601 grey surface primer, airbrushed with a 0.5 needle on the airbrush at 28psi. The spray booth worked a treat, keeping stray dust and overspray off of the model.

FFP51-8.jpg

FFP51-9.jpg

• Like 4