Junkers J.I Profipack - 1:72 Eduard

Paul A H

Junkers J.I Profipack

1:72 Eduard

j1_01.jpg

Despite its outwardly conventional appearance, the Junkers J.I was a remarkably innovative aircraft. It was the first aircraft of all-metal construction to enter full-scale production, and its forward fuselage encompassed the engine and crew in an armoured steel monocoque structure. The upper wing was double the size of the lower wing, a hybrid biplane configuration known as sesquiplane. Flight control was via a system of pushrods and bellcranks rather than the steel cable controls which were employed by most contemporary aircraft. This increased the survivability of the aircraft as this system was more resistant to combat damage. 227 examples were completed by the end of the First World War, all of which entered service with the Luftstreitkräfte of the German Empire. Despite its ponderous handling, the aircraft was popular with its crews and excelled in its intended role of low-level reconnaissance and army cooperation. Just one example survives today, in the Canada Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa.

It's 12 years since Eduard's Junkers J.I was first released, so it's good to see it make a welcome return to the shelves of the model shops. The kit includes almost 70 injection moulded parts and just under 50 photo etched parts, as well as decals for four different aircraft. An 'Overtrees' edition of the kit and the photo etched fret are also available to purchase separately, and these are dealt with below. Although the kit has been around for a while, it isn't immediately obvious from a quick examination of the sprues. The J.I is a surprisingly large aircraft, so Eduard have had to spread the seventy five-or-so parts across three sprues. The plastic is smooth and glossy and surface detail is comprised of the distinctive corrugated effect on muc of the airframe and fine, engraved panel lines where appropriate. The mouldings are clean and crisp and there is no flash present on any of the parts.

j1_02.jpg

j1_03.jpg

The cockpit is pretty good and certainly compares well enough to other similar kits in this scale. It is a multi-media effort, with most of the fine details being catered for by the small fret of photo etched parts. The floor of the cockpit is moulded from plastic, as is the instrument panel, crew seats and seat cushions. The control column and seat harnesses, as well as a couple of other small details, are picked out in photo etched brass. The overall effect is pretty pleasing and certainly passes muster in this scale. The water-cooled six cylinder engine joins to the cockpit sub-assembly via the engine firewall. The engine is made up of six plastic parts, with the finer details picked out in photo etched brass. Once complete, the whole structure can be sealed inside the fuselage.

j1_04.jpg

j1_05.jpg

With the cockpit complete and the fuselage buttoned up, you can join the wings, tail planes and rudder. Three different rudders are provided depending on which individual aircraft you want to build. The elevators are moulded in one piece with the horizontal stabilisers, but the actuator mechanisms are at least provided for on the fret of brass parts. The lower wing is fairly simple, being comprised of just the upper and lower surfaces, but the upper wing is more complex, with separately moulded ailerons. There is no jig to help you align the upper and lower wings, but joy of joys, the J.I used no rigging whatsoever, making this an ideal biplane kit for the rigging averse.

j1_06.jpg

Small details like the machine gun are pure Eduard, with a fairly nice moulded plastic part which can be dressed up to the nines with a photo etched ammunition belt, cooling sleeve and ring and bead gunsight. The undercarriage is nicely represented, with a couple of photo etched parts used to add smaller details. The propeller is a single part with a separate hub.

j1_07.jpg

Markings are provided for four aircraft:
Junkers J.1, 101/17, Flieger Abteilung (A) 250, Autumn 1917
Junkers J.1, 134/ 17 "A", Flieger Abteilung (A) 263
Junkers J.1, 586/ 18, Villers la Chevres, September 1918
Junkers J.1, 596/ 18, 1918
The schemes allow for a decent amount of variety, ranging between sandy brown over blue to complex lozenge patterns which are in part catered for by an additional sheet of decals. The decals themselves look nicely printed.

bin.jpg

Junkers J.I Overtrees

The kit is also available in overtrees format. What this means is you can pick up an extra set of plastic parts (but no decals or photo etched parts) for a frankly ridiculous price. Given the extra decal options provided with the kit, it would be rude not to.

bin.jpg

Junkers J.I Photo Etch Set

If you do buy the Overtrees edition and you want some extra detail, you can purchase the photo etch fret on its own. You don't have to, as plastic versions of most of the part on the fret are provided, but it's always nice to have the option.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

This is a likeable model of an interesting and historically important aircraft. Moreover, it's perfect for modellers that would like a biplane or two in their collection but are put off by the thought of making an almighty Horlicks of the rigging. Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of logo.gif