Tamiya X22 clear gloss acrylic as gloss cote

thepureness

Yes, of course.

I tend to use GS Thinners for Tamiya paint as well as GS own as it works well, but being solvent based it is not as friendly as Tamiya's own.

Make sure that you clean your airbrush thoroughly as it sets like glue and being clear is difficult to spot

SeventySecond, do you have a couple of built models that you used X22 on and I could see a picture off, to see your results?

If you're after examples, have a look at the links in my sig. Both the Whirlwind and the 190A-3 were glossed with Tamiya X-22 and matted down with XF-86. I'm not sure what it'll tell you though, beyond the fact that it works! :)

FWIW I used two coats of gloss to get what I thought was a decent surface for decalling. But it will depend on the flatness and roughness of the underlying paint.

cheers,

J.

Would it be possible to add some Tamiya clear gloss to the paint when spaying.. Would this gloss it up slightly as Tamiya paint seem to be super matt and rough when dry... Just a thought

Would it be possible to add some Tamiya clear gloss to the paint when spaying.. Would this gloss it up slightly as Tamiya paint seem to be super matt and rough when dry... Just a thought

I do that all the time with Tamiya paint. Makes the XF range go on much smoother.

Hey just a warning.

Not sure if this applies as a rule. I just applied some X22 on a build I am currently working on. Usually goes on fine with no reactions to any paint. It is a multicolour paint job with Xtracolor and Revell gloss enamel. I sprayed as I usually do and whilst it went fine over the Xtracolor it crazed the Revell gloss enamel. Both have cured for a good week so I do not think that is the issue. As I say its no definitive statement but I would test it if applying over Revell gloss enamel (matt colours were fine and did not craze on my other builds). All used Mr.Color thinner.

Now to sand it all off.... :(

David.

Edited by mirageiv