NATO Lightning

Col.

As has all too often been the case throughout history it was a political issue which became the deciding factor in a military matter.

When many Western European nations began to look for a new fighter type during the late 50s and early 60s it seemed a good opportunity for introducing a measure of standardisation across various air arms within the region. Thus the competition to find the next generation of NATO Fighter began. Early front runners included the Grumman F-11 Super Tiger, Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, and English Electric Lightning but the Grumman entry soon fell by the wayside after the US Navy rejected the type to leave the Lightning and Starfighter vying for selection as already proven designs in front-line use with their home nations.

The Starfighter was finding favour in several countries including Spain, West Germany, The Netherlands, Italy, Belgium and Denmark when a political scandal that had been brewing almost un-noticed in the Dutch press suddenly became front page news with the publication of a memo that gave evidence of corruption across the highest echelons of government and rapidly led to further allegations, principally centring on so-called "facilitation payments" made by Lockheed to several leading members of the Dutch government and military, that threatened to destabilise the ruling party close to forthcoming elections. The intimidate effect was force a suspension of the selection process while everyone suddenly became armchair experts on the relative merits and performance characteristics of the Starfighter and Lightning.

Over the next few months a wave of rumour and speculation spread throughout Europe that did nothing to simplify the selection process for those trying to decide upon the new fighter type with allegations and opinions becoming international currency. With the Starfighter rapidly becoming a symbol for everything that was considered wrong within politics across post-war western society all it took for the Lightning to find favour with the public throughout those nations was a spirited performance by John Howe from 74 Sqn. at the Paris Air Salon. As the sleek silver shape started down the runway all eyes of the crowd that were not already focused upon it became forced to watch as the craft went from rotation into a near vertical climb with a deafening immediacy that abated moments later as the announcer could then be heard to tell everyone that the small dot rapidly disappearing had climbed beyond 50,000ft and was still going higher. As attention slowly waned off to more visible attractions the announcer was finally able to tell the audience to look out for the same aircraft silently approaching the main runway at low level. Seconds later most of Paris shook to the sound of a sonic boom as sound trailed in behind the passing silver arrow that then went into a crowd-pleasing series of maneouvers which finally put another aircraft on the front page of newspapers the next day.

Within two weeks the Belgian Air Force became first export customer of many for English Electric's new interceptor.

Right, that'll do for now, I'll get into the more technical aspects of this story later but basically I want to thank my co-conspirator, oops I mean co-host, Enzo Matrix for providing me with a 72nd scale Trumpeter Lightning kit to make this daft idea happen. Cheers fella.

Edited by Col.
Naming our hero. Thanks TC :D
  • Like 12

The Dutch are to blame. hehehehehehehehehe

Nice to know that someone knows about the Lockheed affair from that time.

A Lightning in Dutch colours would be nice.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Love the story and looking forward to the model. :goodjob:

May I suggest John Howe as the `spirited` 74 Sqn display pilot with the Lightning at Paris. :thumbsup:

Excellent! Thank you TC, I was trying to recall the name of a pilot famous for his antics with the Lightning but couldn't for the life of me think who he was, I'll amend the back-story to include him :thumbsup:

The Dutch are to blame. hehehehehehehehehe

Nice to know that someone knows about the Lockheed affair from that time.

A Lightning in Dutch colours would be nice.

Cheers,

Well I was planning a Belgian AF bird but there are some Dutch decals going spare in the stash as well...

• Like 1

Although the Belgian order was welcomed by English Electric it did not come without clauses. First of all the Belgians wanted to arrange a full evaluation of the machine at squadron level and for this the AFDS were dispatched to tour bases where the new type were likely to operate from including Kleine Brogel and Beauvechain. Given that the AFDS were equipped with early F.1 aircraft the serious concerns raised due to a lack of range were justified and the company design team soon set about working on this most serious of limitations.

As a direct result of the evaluation an initial order was limited to 12 aircraft and the Belgian parliament requested that SABCA be given a license to produce any further machines. While an agreement was being arranged English Electric offered a new version of the Lightning with vastly increased fuel capacity and a change to the new and more efficient Arder engine that Rolls Royce were developing from the Spey specifically to fit where the Avon had gone. Also included in this proposed update was an increase not only in weapons capacity but also choice.

Edited by Col.
A quick engine change.
  • Like 3

Mmm this one sound interesting, will have to watch this one.....even though I do prefer the F-104! :oops::door:

Ooh hush your dirty mouth sir!

Nah, must admit I have a liking for the F-104, as with most other Lockheed products. Even have one in the stash.

• Like 1

With Belgium having made it's decision other nations were swayed towards the Lightning and in particular the proposed export model. By the close of 1963 English Electric had firm orders from both The Netherlands and Denmark along with interest from West Germany and a request by Austria to provide details of a version armed only with internal cannons. The potential for English Electric to meet such large orders within a reasonable time-scale was restricted by their production capacity already being stretched trying to build enough Canberra bombers and so they found a willing allay in SABCA.

Rather than simply gear up to produce a copy of the existing design the Belgian company were tasked with manufacturing the new F.50 series machine. Coming with the option to carry four Sidewinder missiles rather than the two Firestreak or Red Top missiles at the forward fuselage along with over-wing fuel tanks and an underwing pylon mounted close to the tip designed for ground attack munitions the new version retained a single 30mm Aden cannon on the left side of a larger belly fuel tank to feed its more efficient Spey engines. By 1965 the Belgian Air Force were operating the first squadrons of its 112 new F.50s and these were followed into service by the Dutch F.51 and Danish F.52 within a year. Austria received the twin Aden equipped F.54 in 1966 just prior to West Germany taking charge of the F.55 that summer. By 1967 SABCA were also building Lightnings for Italy, Spain, Australia and Japan.

Edited by Col.
Adding Australia from Ray's thread :D
  • Like 6

Don't forget to widen the fuselage to fit the fatter yet shorter Speys in where the Avons used to go. ;)

Thought I'd a plan to cover that one until having another look at the kit fuselage this morning. A few complications I'd not noticed at first glance :doh:

• Like 1

Indeed Col, which is yet another reason why my proposed Spey-powered Sea Lightning was scrapped. Worst thing is the waste of space - the length saving cannot be used, because it becomes either jet pipe or intake, and the wider diameter (and larger intakes needed for the increased air flow) of the engines would seem to negate any power increases... However, that's me, you may be able to come up with a cunning plan. ;)

• Like 1

Indeed Col, which is yet another reason why my proposed Spey-powered Sea Lightning was scrapped. Worst thing is the waste of space - the length saving cannot be used, because it becomes either jet pipe or intake, and the wider diameter (and larger intakes needed for the increased air flow) of the engines would seem to negate any power increases... However, that's me, you may be able to come up with a cunning plan. ;)

Having had a long look at the kit I think the cunning plan is to either change the story to leave out the Spey engines or ignore the likely change to the fuselage cross section.

Just the one?

Just the one Starfighter. Along with two P-80s, a Connie, plus an SR-71.

Great story Col!

Trevor

Thanks Trevor. Think I've done enough back-story now so time to start building.

• Like 1

Quick thread drift re the Spey Lightning. How much fatter would the fuselage need to be and could it be accommodated by say a sliver of plastic card between the fuselage halves? Ok the canopy and nose may need some remodelling but should be achievable?

Now back to the main event.......

Trevor

Quick thread drift re the Spey Lightning. How much fatter would the fuselage need to be and could it be accommodated by say a sliver of plastic card between the fuselage halves? Ok the canopy and nose may need some remodelling but should be achievable?

Now back to the main event.......

Trevor

Well my initial thoughts were the cut off the forward fuselage behind the cockpit, shim out the fuselage halves, then put a plastic sheet shim between the front and rear sections to help smooth the transitional step. That would also require the wing leading edge root to be built up slightly and work done to the, already rather poor, exhausts but that doesn't account for the intake which would need widened to cope with the increased air flow. I then started to consider a change to fuselage intakes similar to the F3-H Demon with a smaller diameter lower forward fuselage set into the middle but that sounds like major surgery and beyond my desires for this project.

Enjoying this Col. Seeing how this is all WHIF, what if they managed to reduce the size of the speys to fit the Lightning?

Excellent idea there sir! A smaller version of the Spey had been developed specifically to replace Avon engines called the Arder. Given the River Avon is the largest tributary to the River Spey we shall call it the Rolls Royce Arder since the Allt Arder is its next source. Cheers Hockeyboy :D

• Like 2

Oh goody. Can I 'ave a set fer me Sea Lightnin', guv'ner? Fell of t'back of a lorry, innit?

(Yeah I know, I've mangled several dialects...)

Help yourself Rob. Thanks to Hockeyboy76 Rolls Royce are gearing up for full scale production ;)

• Like 2