Airfix 1:72 English Electric Lightning

Class, second Lightening today that I've seen today, this one is just as good looking as the first.

Fabulous finish,

Sean

• Like 1

Well done Danyel - just goes to show it's worth persevering with the problems to produce such a great result. Good job!

• Like 1

I had real fit problems on the under belly tank on mine, but that was prob just me.....

Hi Shrek51, it wasn't just you. I had fit problems too. I thought it would be difficult to fit the two under belly components so I attached each to the fuselage halves before joining the fuselage together. It helped but I still had to use some filler and do some fettling.

Class, second Lightening today that I've seen today, this one is just as good looking as the first.

Thanks sean :) Dave N did a cracking job on his. I'm not up to that standard - his NMF was excellent.

Well done Danyel - just goes to show it's worth persevering with the problems to produce such a great result. Good job!

Thanks CedB. There sure were plenty of problems! I had to take 5 weeks away from it at one point.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone

Great to see her finished after your extended sabbatical and the other issues, it was more than worth it judging by how it's turned out! Great build and great WIP thread! Looking forward to your next build.

David

• Like 1

Another great looking lightning! All these awesome looking Lightnings are spoiling us! I am going to have to pick up one of these kits next week. I have the old 1/48 Airfix in the stack but these 72nd scale kits look the business too, only problem is I won't be able to achieve these standards.

Great work, really nice.

• Like 1

Another great looking lightning! All these awesome looking Lightnings are spoiling us! I am going to have to pick up one of these kits next week. I have the old 1/48 Airfix in the stack but these 72nd scale kits look the business too, only problem is I won't be able to achieve these standards.

Great work, really nice.

Thanks Synopsis, very kind. You do achieve a fantastic finish. I've just seen this, which is super lovely:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982748-airfix-172-gnat-t1/

Best wishes Fella

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Danyel, I am glad you like the Gnat, I have another nearing completion at the moment. I guess we are all self critical of our own work sometimes and others don't see things we know we had problems with! Your Lightning is to my eye fantastic though!

• Like 1

Very nice job.

Two questions:

- are those the kit AAMs? I thought the kit ones looked a bit spindly on the sprues but the ones you have used look fine.

- did you manage to get enough weight into the radome to avoid its being a tail sitter or did you supllement it with more else where eg around the cockpit?

• Like 1

- are those the kit AAMs? I thought the kit ones looked a bit spindly on the sprues but the ones you have used look fine.

- did you manage to get enough weight into the radome to avoid its being a tail sitter or did you supllement it with more else where eg around the cockpit?

They are the kit AAMs. They might look less spindley because I reduced the diameter of the pointy clear lens cover slightly.

The pointly bit in the jet intake has had about 4-5g of liquid lead sealed in with CA. I glued another gram or two under the cockpit.

• Like 1

They are the kit AAMs. They might look less spindley because I reduced the diameter of the pointy clear lens cover slightly.

The pointly bit in the jet intake has had about 4-5g of liquid lead sealed in with CA. I glued another gram or two under the cockpit.

Many thanks:will help with my build.

• Like 1