Matt Varnish

CarnoustieChap

Got a tin of Humbrols matt enamel varnish 49 and its gone "dusty" when dried (on an old test model) (mixed approx 3:1 thinner: Varnish)

Nothing terribly new there from I read its fairly common problem.

Is there either an easy workaround, or is Tamiya X21 flat base mixed into Humbrol clear alright to airbrush over a coat of humbrol clear?

Hi CarnoustieChap, I believe Humbrol Clear is acrylic based so there should be no reason why you can't mix with other acrylic based products. Edit: as always though a test spray would be a good idea!

Not sure if you would be interested but I use Newton and Windsor Acrylic Varnishes for my models, they're easily found in most Art/Hobby stores but if you actually live in your namesake town Hobbycraft in Dundee sells them (in with artists acrylic paints is where they can be found). I got a tub of the matt finish one for just over £8 it thats for like 250ml, its also available on amazon. It was the Galeria one I bought.

Anyways hope that helps!

Edited by Synopsis

I used various acrylic varnishes with mixed result,s so I tried Humbrol's bottled matt coat on my last few build's thinned and it's giving

a beautiful matt finish when sprayed lightly over a couple of coat,s.

Well I tried the Galeria (found another thread that said it was a marvel) and unfortunately it appears to have attacked the coat of Humbrol clear it went over, some slight crazing. Looked great as it dried (how rocking are my weeknights? Literally watching paint dry) then just went a bit mad. Time to see how understanding the Hobbycraft returns policy is methinks.

I've used W&N Galleria on a couple of models and had no problem but I've applied over future that's applied over enamels that have about a week to dry/ cure.

Literally the only difference here is that its humbrol clear, which as far as I understand it is Future. There must be a slight difference somewhere.

I always try and use products from the same company on a model, my theory is that theres less chance of bad reactions! The milky / dusty effect is something to do with the matting agent not mixing in fully according to humbrol, but i've also been told a water source e.g. a damp brush can introduce it.

Its also worth noting Tamiya acrylics iirc are alcohol based, not water, thus confusing the minefield further!

I used W&N Galeria over a model painted with Tamiya acrylics, glossed with Tamiya gloss and with probably some traces of oil paint and turpentine (!). Worked a treat and I've had no problems since finishing it a month or so ago.